Community
Search
Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

supercharger on a 8.0?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:27 PM
xxmgt8.0xx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharger on a 8.0?

i was wunderin if anyone tried this yet n if so how much power did ya gain?
Old 12-30-2010, 01:39 AM
moezer

Default RE: supercharger on a 8.0?

u gain lil to no power and no matter how much u richen the engine it will always run lean, they are very tricky to tune and + ull be out of an engine if u dont know how to tune it right and oh ya its a waste of money either way
Old 12-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Mclovin350z

The 8.0 is pretty powerful, isn't it? Although for it's sizeit can'tbeat some high end .28 and .30's.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:27 PM
xxmgt8.0xx

hell yeah its really powerfull, mine just flips over but why not try? everything can go faster lol
Old 12-30-2010, 11:33 PM
bigdogkanicsar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: xxmgt8.0xx

hell yeah its really powerfull, mine just flips over but why not try? everything can go faster lol
it is my suggestion that you read through this thread

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10212084/tm.htm

in it you will find mostly people knockin the supercharger and a select few that just aren't sure.
99% if not 100% of the people knockin it have never tried it and are mostly posting the negatives of what they have read.
most of the guys that have tried it, either a.didn't know what they where doing or b.don't have the funds or patience to try the right
restrictor plates or pipe combo to get what they want.
what i can say is this:

is it worth 150$ ,i don't think so
does it rip through fuel, yes enormous amounts from my experience.
although it never made my engine run lean, instead it pushed to much fuel and really took a bit of tuning to get her just right.
there are very minor gains and i beleive that with the right pipe it could be fruitful.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:50 PM
xxmgt8.0xx

yeah thanks a lot man. im not gettin till its provento be good n cheap enough. sidwinder is $35 a gallon n u no the 8.0 is always parched! lol no reason to make her even more thirsty.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:23 AM
bigdogkanicsar

unfortunately, no one is ever going to give dyno proof of the supercharger in action.
byron 20% is one of the best to my knowledge and i only pay 24$ per gallon, not sure what it is by you.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:15 AM
xxmgt8.0xx

got mostly theives here but sidwinder is worth the extra cash for such a great truck ya no.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:50 AM
bigdogkanicsar

i hear ya, i use to pay 33$ a gallon for trinity platinum blend.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:49 AM
ausrcnut

The only thing a supercharger or turbocharger is good for, is a 4stroke/cycle engine. That way, the forced induction has a chance to work efficiently by being able to pack the AFM into the cylinder effectively. This type of 2stroke/cycle engine is very in-efficient in general, and forced induction is useless. You'd get better results out of engine timing, both crank and ports.

The 8.0 engine is timed very discretely, and there is a huge margin for both improvement and variation of the power curve. I sent an 8.0 engine to Power House RC Performance, and they turned my 8.0 into an insane weapon. I changed the pipe on it as well. Its like a fast .28 on steroids. Revs out higher, longer and just rips. Whats also good, is that the way they did it, I didnt lose my bottom end punch either. It still flips instantly but with a lot more up top. When Im pacing in second gear at around half throttle, if I punch it, it'll wheel stand and flip. I totally recommend them for this engine despite what people may say about after market tuners.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:34 PM
bigdogkanicsar

i totally agree on getting an engine modded.
however, still to this day nobody has proven that superchargers don't workwith a nitro 2-stroke.
all that i have seen is proof of people not knowing how to make them work.
on the other hand, nobody has proven that they do work.
i guess the point here is any body with a dyno and the will to experiment along with the cashflow just won't take the time to prove or disprove anything.
people would just rather stick with hearsay.
i know i don't have that kind of money for a dyno and all other needs.
if i did i would be to busy playing to think about it.
just so we are covering bases, i have watched rc squirrells vid on superchargers, and it is lacking in all aspects.
such as:
no coverage on:
tuning
different pipes
fuel pressure boost
restrictor plates
different overdrive pulleys
one way valve on the fuel pressure line

i could go on and on but there is no use in that.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:49 PM
ausrcnut

Yea bud, I agree with you also. squirrels vids are not always detailed enough, and it seems as though they are just out to make a media production rather than an advisory tuition. And again with the point of success or fail. 

There was a vid on youtube a while ago where another bloke pulled down his nitro engine to view and note the internals condition, then tested his vehicle's performance before fitting the supercharger. Then fitted the blower and tested again, and after pulled the engine down to note the internals condition again. Was a much better, more useful vid, and the results were displayed up front for the viewer to see.

There was a difference in performance, and this guy knew how to tune an engine as well. When the charger was fitted the engine did perform noticeably harder, but as he noted, it always overheated. This engine wasnt very old either, but afterwards on the post pull down, the internals were stuffed. Basically brought it to an 8 gallon engine as opposed to only 1 quater gallon as it stared out as, on the one thrashing. He noted that he'd probably only get one more thrashing out of it before it was custard.

Like the profuelers say....there's no sudstitute for cubic inches, especially if you want longevity and reliability. Im so happy with the timed modified engines, there's really so much that can be done if one has the knowledge. The 8.0 that everyone scorns at is no more.... its now a fire breathing beast....!!! And now so is every other engine that I have, I'll never look back again

On another note though, have you tried or seen the new Axial .32RR in action. Ive been interested in the new mods that they placed on it, and how it performes. They are going for a fair good priice too.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:52 PM
bigdogkanicsar

ORIGINAL: ausrcnut

Yea bud, I agree with you also. squirrels vids are not always detailed enough, and it seems as though they are just out to make a media production rather than an advisory tuition. And again with the point of success or fail.

There was a vid on youtube a while ago where another bloke pulled down his nitro engine to view and note the internals condition, then tested his vehicle's performance before fitting the supercharger. Then fitted the blower and tested again, and after pulled the engine down to note the internals condition again. Was a much better, more useful vid, and the results were displayed up front for the viewer to see.

There was a difference in performance, and this guy knew how to tune an engine as well. When the charger was fitted the engine did perform noticeably harder, but as he noted, it always overheated. This engine wasnt very old either, but afterwards on the post pull down, the internals were stuffed. Basically brought it to an 8 gallon engine as opposed to only 1 quater gallon as it stared out as, on the one thrashing. He noted that he'd probably only get one more thrashing out of it before it was custard.

Like the profuelers say....there's no sudstitute for cubic inches, especially if you want longevity and reliability. Im so happy with the timed modified engines, there's really so much that can be done if one has the knowledge. The 8.0 that everyone scorns at is no more.... its now a fire breathing beast....!!! And now so is every other engine that I have, I'll never look back again

On another note though, have you tried or seen the new Axial .32RR in action. Ive been interested in the new mods that they placed on it, and how it performes. They are going for a fair good priice too.
i have not tried the axial .32RR yet but i do have the axial .28 2S and it seems so far to be a ripper and a smooth ripper at that.

also i will say this any sort of a power adder is most definitely going to shorten the life of your engine for sure.
but that is the nature of the beast.
superchargers are not worth the 150$ they cost, neither is the other accessories you need to run them.
that's not sayin they work or don't work, i had purchased one when they first came out back then, and was a costly endever.
i found small gains but then the mount broke and it sat there.
a few years ago i started modding my own engines and there is a lot more gained with the engine mods over the charger route.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:53 PM
saucySavy
My Feedback: (2)

superchargers are a waste of money and engines...
Old 01-03-2011, 08:57 PM
saucySavy
My Feedback: (2)