Community
Search
Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

ISO MGT 8.0 transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 06:04 PM
JordanG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ISO MGT 8.0 transmission

I bought a mgt 8.0 online for $65 it’s complete minus the front center shaft from tranny to diff. And the tranny has some blown gears in it. Almost looks like it was thrown in reverse while driving or something. Also the person I bought it from had wood screws and oversized screws holding the transmission housing together haha. And he had welded some gears up. Anyway I am looking to see if anyone would sell me a tranny and front shaft and possibly any other good extra parts to have. I know a lot of people convert to brushless and don’t use the transmissions and other parts anymore. Thank you!
Old 10-15-2019, 01:10 PM
D3MON

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

good find on that MGT 8.0! love my MGTs dont really have spare parts id be willing to part with at the moment, but i have a few stores i kind of keep tucked in my sleeve for a rainy day can see if they have anything you need. are you planning on keeping the 8.0 in it?
best bet is to go to AEs website and pull part numbers for what you need. sucks recently i saw the 8.0 trans on one of my FB groups going for 50$ but no one bought it so he chucked it. might be easiest to find part numbers for the specific gears and replace those.
if you can possibly find it or maybe make one yourself, is a Forward only conversion. these trucks are almost bulletproof but their biggest weak point is the forward/reverse assembly. with a FOC they are bulletproof though.
did find this: https://www.thobbies.com/products/associated-25690
Old 10-16-2019, 07:29 AM
JordanG

Thanks for the reply D3MON! I feel like I got a good deal even though it’s missing the front cva and has a bad tranny. It’s all there minus the cva. I bought a new tranny case awhile back in hopes of finding the gears but haven’t had much luck. The guy who had it before me welded up the gears in the tranny so I’ll have to pull it back out and check if there were any good ones left. I would just like to find a complete tranny. Thanks for the link! I found a guy yesterday that has a 3.0 or 4.6 tranny and it has the front and rear cva’s. Are they the same cva’s as the 8.0?
Old 10-16-2019, 12:13 PM
D3MON

3.0 is not the same, it is the 1/10 scale model. the .21 MGT, and the 4.6 MGT are the same though. you can buy the .21 and then just buy the 1-2 speed metal pinion gears for around 13$ on ebay to convert to 4.6 spec.
easy way to tell if its a 3.0 or a 4.6 tranny is the 3.0 has 2 spur gears, the 4.6 has a single one.
the 4.6 and the 8.0 does have slightly different CVs, i think they will swap right over though. 8.0 has a spring clip around the grub pin, 4.6 does not.
searching by part numbers for the trans gears may be the most sure way to get the trans issue figured out. 8.0 trans are getting rare because there weren't as many of the 8.0s produced, and the fact that they had spur gear brace, stock steel spur gear, etc so everyone was buying them up 5 or so years ago to convert their 4.6 to 8.0 trans.
honestly the MGT is probably my favorite truck that i own, its a close tie between the LST and the MGT.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:21 PM
D3MON

My MGT trucks, the blue head is the Original .21 i just got done restoring/building. and the other is my older 4.6 that has a axial .28 spec 2s, which i also a few months ago, got done restoring back to usable condition.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:32 PM
JordanG

Those look awesome! Yeah I have an issue with buying projects haha. I have a savage x that I did a full FLM lcg chassis and has an lrp 28 and a platinum Revo with a lrp 30x and a LST2 roller and a LST that’s complete. Haven’t had a chance to drive any of them because my house was broken into and someone stole a lot of my rc stuff. All my controllers and my built new era mad force with picco 26 and a bunch of other stuff. So I was searching for some parts for the ones I have and came across this mgt 8.0 and couldn’t pass up the deal. I’ve always wanted one and it has a controller! Haha. So I’ve been searching for parts for it for some time now because I’m curious to see how it does. I think I will hit that guy up that has the .21 parts and might snag that tranny. It has both center cva’s and a complete tranny. And some other random parts. He’d probably sell me the box of nitro stuff he has for like $20 and he has an rb motor in the box too just not sure if it’s any good though. I’ll have to get some pics of my trucks soon and post them on here
Old 10-17-2019, 06:42 AM
D3MON

same here, i swear working on them is half the fun.
wanting to see that FLM Savage lol i would swap your LST2 A-arms/hub carriers/axles to your LST if its a runner and has an engine. LST2 arms are so much stronger than the LST1 (unless you have RPMS, then about the same)
for controller, take a look into a "FlySky GT3C" or FlySky GT3B, they are sub 50$ work for up to 10 Rcs, and receivers are about 10$.
have the GT3C, one personally and my buddy has the GT3B, i wanted the Lipo battery so no more AA's.
definitely post some pics of what you got!
Old 10-17-2019, 04:09 PM
JordanG

Haha we’ll get ready for some pics. I just went a dug some of my stuff out and tried to get some decent pics. I bought rpm a-arms still new in the package for my lst. I might have got double sets I will have to go back and look. I was planning on building both the lst and LST2. I’ll have to look into that radio thanks for the info! My savage has the extended lcg FLM chassis I have the center skid plate from FLM as well as the FLM shock towers just not installed. Maybe some other parts I’m not sure.

im not sure why but it will not let me upload any pictures. It just keeps saying “you can’t upload any urls if you have less than 10 post”.. that was a lot of work for nothing lol
Old 10-17-2019, 04:10 PM
JordanG

It’s a bummer I just took a bunch of pics and wrote descriptions on all of them and it won’t allow me to post them. That’s kind of a weird rule from rc universe
Old 10-17-2019, 04:12 PM
JordanG

This is the first time I have ever used a forum as well so I guess I’m not too sure how they work or the specific rules they have.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:38 PM
D3MON

got 2 posts left till 10 lol almost there bump twice? i am a member of a few and first time i had seen that as well, yeah it is a strange rule but if it helps the people that run it i guess it helps.
LST-2 arms are quite durable, the LST-1 ones are a bit thinner and not near as strong. i wish they would re-do the RPM arms to more closely replicate the LST2 ones. just so much more material.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:49 AM
JordanG

I will need to go back out and check the rpm arms but I’m pretty sure they are way thicker then my LST2 arms
Old 10-19-2019, 01:43 PM
JordanG

bump
Old 10-19-2019, 01:44 PM
JordanG

Bump
Old 10-19-2019, 01:44 PM
JordanG

Bump
Old 10-19-2019, 02:11 PM
JordanG

Originally was a savage x 4.6

MGT 8.0

Here’s what’s bad in my MGT 8.0 transmission

You can see the welds the guy did lol

My new to me mad force original

Platinum Revo big block

I built the cage around the motor to protect it. Still not finished though.

I built the wheelie bar as well.

T-Maxx 2.5r

Stock 3906 emaxx

LST1 and LST2

Old 10-20-2019, 08:31 PM
JordanG

This guy has a mgt 8.0 that’s the chassis trans driveshafts and diffs. Basically everything except engine fuel tank and electronics. He wants $150 for it. You think that’s a good deal? Or he said $300 rtr.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:44 AM
D3MON

damn that savage is nice! the MGT definitely needs a bit of work but i think a little cleaning should be going good! that weld job is definitely.... something lol. looks like he welded the gears together so it would be locked in forward only, instead of getting a forward only conversion. might be able to take a dremel and cut off his weld chunks and see what is salvageable.
that mad force is awesome! always thought nitro solid axles were cool as hell!
that revo is pretty cool always liked the revo design, as of late caring less and less for traxxas though. that head protector is sweet though! never seen one done like that. wheelie bar looks like it can definitely take some abuse.
T-maxx looks good! almost makes me miss mine, till i remember the problems i had with it haha.
LSTs look good id definitely build that LST-2 up with that Mach .26 that engine flies! looks like the LST-2 might have RC raven dual rate springs on it? best shock upgrade for that truck imo.
My LST is actually a LST-1 with the LST-2 arm conversion.
side note, i was having some weird issues with those Fuel filters dont know if it was air leaks or filter starting to plug or what (even after cleaning it out), but ended up removing it and good to go.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:51 AM
D3MON

right around 150$ isnt a bad deal for a roller,
as long as the trans is good would be a good parts donor truck for the other 8.0, i always end up building rollers into runners anyways though lmfao my last MGT (blue engine one above) was supposed to be a parts donor.
for RTR i guess that is up to you if you want another runner truck lol, if the engine he would include is good might not be a bad deal for the RTR, but its really hard to gauge how much life is left on used engines.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:27 AM
JordanG

Yeah I am not to fond of traxxas anymore i don’t like what they are about. I picked up the Revo emaxx and tmaxx a long time ago because I always wanted one as a kid. Picked the emaxx up for $90 rtr with a big tool box of tools and parts. Picked up the tmaxx as it sits for $40. And picked up the Revo with a couple box’s of parts and a big block os vzb v spec motor and a bump start box for $140. I picked up those lst trucks as they sit like that with a box of extra springs and parts. My house was broken into when we were in the hospital when my wife was giving birth to our first kid she was born on Christmas Day and they broke into our house on the 26th and I had tons of my rc stuff stolen. I made an exo cage for my crawler king and had like 6-8 bodies a bunch of parts a Losi micro crawler and I had an original mad force that had a bunch of new era parts high end metal gear hitec servos jumbo swamp dawg tires a picco .26 outlaw onboard temp gauge a whole bunch of stuff. I had 2 large totes of parts and that truck stolen. Along with other personal non rc items. I always loved the mad force for the straight axles and nitro motor. So I found the one I posted a picture of and I’ve been trying to make it like my last one but I can’t find new era parts anywhere. And picco engines don’t seem to be around anymore either. And those are the most powerful engines I have driven in an rc. Insane instant power. Used to do standing backflips in my savage.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:30 AM
JordanG

That guy wants $150 plus shipping. Seems a bit high for me for just a roller. I’m not sure I would want the electronics and nitro motor for an extra $150 because they are all outdated anyway and the motor is iffy like you were saying I’ve almost never gotten a good used nitro motor. They all most likely need replaced or rebuilding.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:29 PM
D3MON

good score on the rigs! really sorry to hear you had a break in and a bunch of stuff stolen. glad you are getting more trucks to get back into it with.
sadly New Era went out of business many years ago, they made some very top notch stuff, every once in awhile oyu can find parts on ebay, usually if you can find the part numbers needed that helps. also for getting part numbers: Waybackmachine is monumental in getting to old no longer live sites. https://archive.org/web/
kind of confusing to use at first, but once you learn it and its quirks, works really well.
Picco i think is still in business in the race world, not really in the off-road basher world though.
nowadays for engines it seems novarossi 28-8, O.S., and dynamite, and SH are some of the better engines that you can get new LRP is still decent, but have moved manufacturing plants and have been having quality control issues with burrs and defects in the cylinders and ports.
i can never remember is the mad force small block or big block? th ought it was big block.
those mach .26 engines in that Losi honestly surprised me for how powerfull it is. my LST tries lifting the front end up for a wheelie when it hits the 1-2 shift. almost tagged a few trees because of it. side note, those LSTs have insane braking power. if you are on grippy ground, you will front flip it from hitting the brakes. learned the hard way.
i got my second MGT for right around 120 shipped off ebay, engine ended up being toast, but used nitro kind of expect it to be burnt. it is the .21 model, but i am pleasantly surprised on the power it generates. ended up pretty much rebuilding the engine from ground up, only part left used was the crankshaft, and carb.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:41 PM
JordanG

Yeah I know new era has been out of business for sometime now. I was surfing on eBay for parts and found some clicked on the sellers other items and just about all of them were new era so I messaged them and asked how they had so many new era parts and they said they use to make them. I emailed them back and asked if they could do any custom orders and never got any sort of reply. So maybe it’s a sore subject for them lol. Yeah the first madforce trucks were .21 big blocks and then they went to a .25. All have 3 speed transmissions. I really like the novarossi engines and that was going to be what I picked up next when I need an engine. Already have a lrp but I bought it like 5-6 years ago and it’s still new without a drop of fuel so I hope it’s one of their more quality engines. Haven’t broke in a motor in quite awhile so kinda nervous. And I have to order fuel because they don’t have 25% or 30% anywhere around where I live.

They guy with the mgt 8.0 I passed on buying the roller. He has like 7 of them haha. But he has all the parts that are bad in my tranny he will sell me for $35 shipped. I’m fine with keeping it with reverse I’m not too hard on my trucks. I am really excited to see what it can do though. All the stuff I’ve read from people say the 8.0 motor has ridiculous power. He says he has boxes of new and used parts. I may buy the center shafts from him as well they are new in the packages he wants $20 a piece though. Only a couple bucks higher then the site you sent me so I may do it because I’m getting the gears shifting fork and shaft from him.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:55 AM
D3MON

i think that older LRP should be fine, i would still pop the head off and check out the piston/cylinder for any machining marks/ burrs to be safe, but the ones with issues were since about 1-2 years ago.
Bones Brew is a good place i get recommended to all the time for fuel in the nitro groups im in, 3 gallons for 90$, i hear their 30/9 , and 20/9 is some of the best fuel out there. i still run 20% race blend sidewinder because i can get it local consistently, occasionally they order 30%, but not often enough lol.
yeah isnt too bad, especially being able to get all the parts you need in one spot. not digging around to 4 stores to get everything lol. would be well worth the extra few bucks imo.