Community
Search
Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

Monster GT anyone have one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 06:54 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Monster GT anyone have one?

What slowbl!nd said. I have a friend with the new MGT 4.6 and the same thing happened to him. Although, neither of us were sure he didn't hit reverse coming off a ramp. But he replaced the oneway and something else minor in the transmission.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:13 PM
Wide Open

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: snowbl!nd

If you want your diffs to last longer then i'd reccomend it. All you really need is a file, a grinding wheel just makes things easier. I'd do the mod, but can't find anywhere that actually has the correct size washers.

Today i took my stock MT-A4 (.21) here.... http://www.nnrc.co.uk/

Removed the shock spacers to drop the truck and borrowed some half decent pro-line tyres (can't remember exactly what they're called) and the truck was amazing. Handled like a dream, the engine was running perfcetly (one other racer thought it was the .28 it was that rapid). Even pulled a few wheelies. Beat the body up a bit trying (and occasionally succeeding) to clear the table-top. Destroyed the body mounts, but still managed to keep the body on the truck. Snapped a hub when i ran head-on into a HPI Rush at speed, the guy that owned the Rush also had an MGT so he gave me a free hub! Good guy (considering i broke his Rush...) And one of the screws in the drietrain kept coming loose, despite being threadlocked in place! Another racer had spares of those also, and was kind enough to donate four of them.

Went through nearly 1/3 gallon of fuel and only left the track when i ran out of fuel. Great truck!
that looks like an awesome track! that table top is huge! this thread only makes me want to buy the mgt more, but i cant afford it yet.[]
Old 03-20-2006, 01:05 AM
thomer
My Feedback: (48)

I have a 4.6 MGT on the way this week. I drove my brother-in-laws, and it is a blast to drive. I like the way it handles jumps. Not as fast as my LST2, but I liked it enough to buy one mostly for bashing.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:22 AM
fga
My Feedback: (2)

i've had mine abouta year now i guess. the orginal .21.
my truck is almost completely stock, except for a savage ribbed pipe, and the radio system.

awesome truck, tough as nails. not as fast as a savage, stock... off the line. but when their open going, its right there withthe rest of them. i did't buy this truck too much for speed, i went and added a cool roll cage. this isn't my truck, but my is identical to this with the cage.

handles excellent, very stable.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:52 AM
Bria1

It depends how you are driving it. At the track I can only get about 7-8 minutes out of a tank of fuel.

I haven't had any trans problems, but I also have the forward only conversion in it.

ORIGINAL: newthing

how long is an average run time for the mgt
Old 03-20-2006, 02:59 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: dennis8080_2

Dude nice truck mine looks like yours only thing different is mine has the 40 series velocity rims instead of spokes.
thanks post ur pic
Old 03-20-2006, 03:53 PM
Wide Open

also, while im thinking about it, how does the dual start system on the mgt work? that seems pretty cool to have a pull start/drill start in one.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:37 PM
snowbl!nd

ORIGINAL: Wide Open

also, while im thinking about it, how does the dual start system on the mgt work? that seems pretty cool to have a pull start/drill start in one.
I can't remember exactly how it works, but i think both the pullstart and the drill start mechanisms are somehow connected to a single 1-way bearing.

Definately very handy though...
Old 03-20-2006, 05:06 PM
Landlocked

Thanks for the info. Seems that the diff was a little tight (from factory). I should know better than to assume "RTR without checking.

I'm not knocking AE since everthing I have is AE and I really like their products.

I'm having a bad RC week. Monster truck broken and a plane that won't fly. waaaaa!
Old 03-20-2006, 07:48 PM
Bria1

It works really good. The part the drill connects to has a small shaft that goes to a 1-way bearing at the crank. The pull start has a 1-way that rides on the drill start shaft. I really like having both options. I mainly use the drill, but it is nice to not have to carry the drill around with you in case it stalls.

Old 03-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Wide Open

yeah, i figured i could use the drill start when i was running at our home here in mesa or our vacation home in california, but use the pull start for when i was bashing at the park and didnt want to carry around a drill.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:38 PM
fga

I can't remember exactly how it works, but i think both the pullstart and the drill start mechanisms are somehow connected to a single 1-way bearing.

Definately very handy though...
there is one shaft that extends off the crank shaft, and there are actually 2 one way bearings. one on the pull start, and one that holds the bottom of the crankshaft. i know this cuz i just replaced the one way closest to the piston. the bad part, is you may have to replace 2 bearings, the good part is, that when the bearing goes on
the pull start, it doesn't matter cuz you have the other one to use the drill start.
i like how the fitting for the drill is just an extension off the crank, as opposed to a savage type, with gears added beside the crank. alot simpler design, and i would imagine stronger.
yes, definitely handy.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:14 PM
cookie monster

does any one know why the blue integy arms are cheaper than the silver ones
Old 03-21-2006, 03:23 PM
snowbl!nd

ORIGINAL: magerhemroid

does any one know why the blue integy arms are cheaper than the silver ones
Not a clue, but i'm hoping you're not intending getting aluminium arms for the MGT...

One crash, and you can say goodbie to your shiny aluminium arms. Get RPM arms, they are lighter, cheaper, stronger AND have a lifetime guarantee! If you break one during normal use you can get it replaced for free!
Old 03-21-2006, 05:29 PM
cookie monster

the thing with the integy arms are two bottem arms and their only like 13 dollars. im putting them on my rear and i rarely ever brake them.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:56 PM
hybridstone

Integy products are junk!!
Old 03-21-2006, 09:48 PM
cookie monster

so they arent worth 13$?
also if anyone has them and would like to send them to me for free i wont mind
Old 03-22-2006, 07:23 AM
snowbl!nd

Save your money, really. Stock arms will be stronger than Integy aluminium arms. I'm sure you could find a better way to spend $13...
Old 03-22-2006, 08:15 AM
Wide Open

Save your money, really. Stock arms will be stronger than Integy aluminium arms. I'm sure you could find a better way to spend $13...
so im assuming that implies getting the rpm arms? is there a problem with the stock arms? because when i buy it all my money will go away and i wont be able to buy parts for awhile and it will really suck if i break an a arm or something. ill probably just be doing general driving at the park and jumps probably wont exceed 3 feet, maybe some hill climbing in california. how does it stand up to abuse stock is basically what im asking?
Old 03-22-2006, 09:24 AM
snowbl!nd

so im assuming that implies getting the rpm arms? is there a problem with the stock arms? because when i buy it all my money will go away and i wont be able to buy parts for awhile and it will really suck if i break an a arm or something. ill probably just be doing general driving at the park and jumps probably wont exceed 3 feet, maybe some hill climbing in california. how does it stand up to abuse stock is basically what im asking?
The stock arms are actually quite strong, i've yet to break a single one after a lot of high speed crashes, jumps gone wrong, cartwheels etc. Unless you drive your truck into something such as a curb i doubt you'll break one.

I reccomend you buy some more stock knuckles, they are the things most likely to break in a collision. Buy 2 knuckles and you should have just enough money for a spare set of stock arms. That will provide you with spares of the two most common things to break on the truck.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:35 AM
fga

i find the stock springs, arms, etc. to be more then strong enough. i have mine about a year, and have never replaced a broken arm yet.
guess it depends on what you want to do with your truck. the way some people drive them, no arm will be strong enough.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:38 AM
Wide Open

thats good to hear, i was a little worried there for a second about the durability, but i guess its not an issue.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:54 PM
cookie monster

i only drive my truck around my house and at parks. when i jump it i only get about 3 or 4 feet of air. the biggest jump i ever done with this truck i got like five feet of air and went like 15-20 feet. on that jump i broke an rpm arm and a stocker and a turnbuckle. so i dont drive to hard to brake these integy arms. so i guess noone has like two of these arms that they can send out to me for little or no cost?
Old 03-22-2006, 08:23 PM
Bria1

I haven't broken any stock arms yet. I did break a front knuckle when I clipped a wall at the track on the straight, but I can't blame that on the truck.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:33 PM
Wide Open

this is practically going to turn into one of those supposed "official" car threads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.