Community
Search
Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

OFFICIAL MONSTER GT 8.0, MMGT FORUM

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Snaut Rocket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL MONSTER GT 8.0, MMGT FORUM

If you use dace adapters because they dont strip like regulars one do, you will need to to get the 4.6's wheel hexes to fit the dace adapeters on there. Since the dace slide onto the 14mm adapters and not the Pin it self.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:02 PM
ThermalRD

K223, yes the FT shocks fit the MGT. Though you'll probably want to get the full set from AE. They have a new part number in the 8.0 manual. The shocks may even be updated, or different. The FT steering kit also is a direct drop in. The stock hubs are in fact 23mm. You CAN use 23mm wheels with the stock setup. You will need to buy a washer though, so you can lock em in place with the stock wheel nut. If you use the Dace 23mm adapters, be sure to buy MGT 14mm hexes as well. Because the Dace slide over those.

Hehe, forgot the pic.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:07 PM
K223

Thanks for the responses....I will check out my manual for the part numbers to order direct. So let me ask you this, is it almost mandatory to use the Dace adapters(along the mgt 14mm hex's)to prevent from stripping out new wheels and blowing money just like that with this truck?

Thanks again

K223
Old 01-09-2008, 05:08 PM
hilifemt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

really it all depends on your preference. I'd drive the truck for a while and see what you think needs inprovement.

for shocks. the aluminum caps on stock bodies are plenty good. i think the alum. bodies are just a bling factor. for bashing, the stock servo has been fine for me. not sure how much the bellcrank upgrade helps, but the stock servo saver is pretty cheap, buy a Kimbrough #124 one to replace once the stock saver break. RPM arms are pretty much a must have (stockers break pretty easily). other than that I like to keep extra stock plastic in my tool box for when crashes go bad. axle rebuild kits are handy to have on hand. make sure you replace your brake spring with fuel tubing for maximum braking. shims the diffs so they last ALOT longer. that's all i can think of for the moment
Old 01-09-2008, 05:51 PM
easyrabbit

ORIGINAL: ThermalRD

K223, yes the FT shocks fit the MGT. Though you'll probably want to get the full set from AE. They have a new part number in the 8.0 manual. The shocks may even be updated, or different. The FT steering kit also is a direct drop in. The stock hubs are in fact 23mm. You CAN use 23mm wheels with the stock setup. You will need to buy a washer though, so you can lock em in place with the stock wheel nut. If you use the Dace 23mm adapters, be sure to buy MGT 14mm hexes as well. Because the Dace slide over those.

Hehe, forgot the pic.
How big of a washer do you need? I have not even tried using the stock one... It goes just before the nut on the outside of wheel correct (just making sure)...

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2008, 06:29 PM
ThermalRD

I'll hit up the local Riders tomorrow and find the right size washer for you guys. I'll post some info when i get it.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:51 PM
easyrabbit

ORIGINAL: hilifemt

for the tune, check your fuel lines real carefully for a leak, they can be as small as a pin hole..not sure about the stock 8.0 fuel lines but the 4.6 lines were real cheap. check the tank for any kind of leak.. make sure there is nothing clogging your pipe. have you sealed your engine? could be an air leak

OK just a quick update. I restrung 90% of the tubing and sure there are no leaks. I have not had a chance to get it up to heat and run a test for the "sluggish" random thing.... however I did fire it up in the house (cough cough) and I only have rear power so I screwed something up good. Gonna get some things out of the way and take this all apart and fix what ever it is. Hopefully I will get shocks and all that soon and just do it all at the same time. Thinking 1000 weight diff oil in front and back... can u do center? If I do end up having to wait for parts and all and I am down, then the next time you see this sucker it will be a different truck.

Anyway... my might MGT is down for now unless someone can tell me some miracle to get power to the front wheels. The cvd is spinning so the problem is up front in the diff or something.

Aloha and many thanks as usuall!
Old 01-09-2008, 11:17 PM
hilifemt

check your front grub screw, and front axle pins. those are 2 common things that break or come unscrewed and the result is no front wheel drive. using loctite on those screws is a must.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:54 PM
K223

really it all depends on your preference. I'd drive the truck for a while and see what you think needs inprovement.

for shocks. the aluminum caps on stock bodies are plenty good. i think the alum. bodies are just a bling factor. for bashing, the stock servo has been fine for me. not sure how much the bellcrank upgrade helps, but the stock servo saver is pretty cheap, buy a Kimbrough #124 one to replace once the stock saver break. RPM arms are pretty much a must have (stockers break pretty easily). other than that I like to keep extra stock plastic in my tool box for when crashes go bad. axle rebuild kits are handy to have on hand. make sure you replace your brake spring with fuel tubing for maximum braking. shims the diffs so they last ALOT longer. that's all i can think of for the moment
Old 01-10-2008, 12:09 AM
Snaut Rocket

ORIGINAL: K223

Was there a message in there some where
Old 01-10-2008, 09:42 AM
K223

LOL.....Yeah I am new on this board......Guess I messed up or at least my other pc did not show the box in which I could type my reply in and I hit ok. But what I wanted to ask is where would I shim the diff's at to make them last longer? Possible picture or maybe a little more explanation would be cool...Thanks

As far as the shocks go....I would really prefer metal bodied and the slight anodized bling factor on these does enhance the trucks looks a little as a side effect of installing them. I wish those team shocks had threaded bodies with collars to allow spring preload adjustments vs. the shim clips. I wish the Proline Powerstrokes were still made.

Would I be asking too much as a new guy to get a simple listing of what spare little parts I should stock up on that tend to break on the MGT 8? Would like to have on hand at the time obviously to keep the fun going.

Thanks for the help, Seems like we have a great bunch here.

K223
Old 01-10-2008, 10:09 AM
docphysics

how to shim diffs:

http://www.monstergt.com/articles/tr..._diff_shim.php
Old 01-10-2008, 12:53 PM
K223

Thanks.....That little how to is great and I can see if your pinion depth is shallow as on that diff.....your bound to destroy gears. Reminds me of working on automotive rears....lol

I do not want to post the auction here as it's probably not allowed but I came across someone selling aluminum screw down collored coil over shocks for our MGT's on ebay. There only 55 bucks and that tends to make me think how good the quality might or might not be for that matter, but they look good and I like the idea of a threaded body for adjustment of the spring preload. They are made by Team Blue Star if somebody wants to go out there and check them or if you already have an opinion do let me know. I figure the Team blue Shocks are tough and will go with them unless something like this seems like a decent option.

K223
Old 01-10-2008, 12:54 PM
docphysics

most people say the shock shafts bend to easily, then you are hosed.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:59 PM
K223

Which shock shafts bend to easily the Team Associated Blue shocks or those ebay Team Blue Star's? I heard the shafts on the Integy's tend to bend so was not planning on going with these. I want to upgrade mainly for more reliability and performance.

K223
Old 01-10-2008, 01:02 PM
docphysics

the Team Blue Star
Old 01-10-2008, 01:57 PM
K223

Well that ends that....No Team Blue Stars....Even though they looked at least good. I guess you need to stick with the tried and trued Team Associated factory upgrades for certain things.

Thanks

K223
Old 01-10-2008, 06:04 PM
easyrabbit

check your front grub screw, and front axle pins. those are 2 common things that break or come unscrewed and the result is no front wheel drive. using loctite on those screws is a must.
Thanks will look as soon as I can...
Old 01-10-2008, 10:54 PM
dittch
Banned

anyone know if there is a chance Associated will sell just this engine. I have several bashers in my arsenal and wouldn't mind trying this engine in one of my vehicles. It certainly gets that 13 pound truck up and moving pretty good...I want one
Old 01-10-2008, 11:01 PM
ThermalRD

Yup, thats a sure thing dittch. Give it a little while, you'll see em for sale on Tower, and other places.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:20 PM
derk8.0mgt

well i got my transmission tore apart and found forward and reverse drive and shifting gears shredded. called team associated, head of r and d called me back and i had to send them my whole transmission they want to see what failed , guy said he would make it well worth my while if i sent them my trans so i did. cant order parts to fix it anyway cause there still doing inventory i guess. cant wait to get it up and going again. sucks i just got it broke in now its down...
Old 01-10-2008, 11:25 PM
hilifemt

ORIGINAL: dittch

anyone know if there is a chance Associated will sell just this engine. I have several bashers in my arsenal and wouldn't mind trying this engine in one of my vehicles. It certainly gets that 13 pound truck up and moving pretty good...I want one
There's 4 of them on ebay right now 'Buy it Now' new 158 shipped
Old 01-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Snaut Rocket

Dude your in luck.
Might do a whole over haul of your tranny.
Put a new Foc in there and everything.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:36 PM
dittch
Banned

ORIGINAL: dittch

There's 4 of them on ebay right now 'Buy it Now' new 158 shipped
ha , was on there right after my post and there they were. My only problem with it is the way they designed the exhaust. It's not the typical rear exhaust engine. It can be done, but it's going to be one hell of a pain to run the exhaust out the back. Notice that if you mount it in the standard truggy with center diff, the header shoots the exhaust straight back so good luck finding a place in the rear shock tower to let the pipe thru. Maybe if I could find some silicone tubing I could still run the side exhaust...will have to look

One thing that is keeping me from buying one right now is that I don't see any header for it on ebay. Edit....I missed them, they're there

So it looks like a standard SG crankshaft. I wonder if it mounts the same as a typical .21 engine. My guess is yes, but I'm not sure yet
Old 01-11-2008, 12:50 AM
dittch
Banned

talked with one of the sellers of this engine on ebay, apparently it's not a straight drop in. they said the engine mounts are farther back (not sure exactly what that means) and custom work would have to be done to mount it in place of a typical .21-.28 engine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.