Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

OFFICIAL MONSTER GT 8.0, MMGT FORUM

Old 12-07-2007, 01:49 AM
easyrabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL MONSTER GT 8.0, MMGT FORUM

Next time I pop the wheels off I will take more shots. That will be tomorrow after I finish breaking in and give this guy a little test. Axles do not look all that special, of course I will end up upgrading those as well as the arms. I am hoping that former MMGT parts fit on this one? Especially the RPM arms. I will be sick if I can not upgrade to those.

So far I have put 3 tanks through. Break in is no problem, engine is very nice. One problem was stock plug was dead, put in a new one and I was gone from there.

It is much quieter than the Mega Baja for one (this is what I will compare to since it is the closest I have to MMGT). This is engine/pipe loud. It is also quiet when rolling. This is either TA has everything all tight and neat in there or it is filled with plastic gears. The Baja sounds a bit more tough with all the metal gears clanking around in it.

This thing just feels like it wants to bust out. That engine has some power and can not wait to put that wheelie bar to the test. All in all it looks pretty tough but I can see where I will be improving on. Still to early to tell. I hope to finish out the break in tomorrow and possibly get some video of it tuned and crawling this little hill over here and what ever else I can roll over, maybe take it to a track and give it a few runs around on it

Oh and this sucker is big, feels big and looks big. I can not wait untill tomorrow!

Old 12-07-2007, 03:23 AM
scottywilkes

wow they really did extend the bumper ALOT LOL, kinda looks out of place.

To answer the question about the axles, they are still the 6mm axle shafts, all it is is a 22mm hex and is attatched with the stock 6mm locknut. Not the best way of doin it, but even if the nut comes loose, u will have a hard time stripping the large hex out.

Il be adding that spur setup to my MGT, as my RRP just snapped and RRP wont respond to my emails[]

O yeah, the MGT8.0 has all metal transmission, the MGT4.6 had all steel except for the 2 speed gears, AE have now put steel 2 speed gears in it, so the whole drivetrain is now steel geared
Old 12-07-2007, 04:30 AM
muscleflex

ORIGINAL: easyrabbit

Ok got the truck today and here are a few pics... Will speak a bit more on it later...
hi - that first pic with the package. there's a little blue gun looking thing. what is that for? it kinda looks like a glue gun. is it part of the package? what is it?
thanks
Old 12-07-2007, 04:33 AM
muscleflex

and what radio does it come with?
can you post a closer pic please?

will this same radio come with the thunder tiger's S50?
Old 12-07-2007, 05:06 AM
scottywilkes

the gun is the roto starter, as the motor is roto start.

The radio is a FM computerized radio, and yes the S50 comes with everything the MGT8.0 comes with as they are exactly the same truck, just they have different shells
Old 12-07-2007, 05:59 AM
easyrabbit

That is the starter A little less cumbersome than the XTM one but they are all pretty much the same. This one feels better and you can lock the stem in. I also like the side holder for the stem. Got to go get a gun holster now LOL...
Old 12-07-2007, 06:07 AM
docphysics

wow, side exhaust engine. hmmm..... and they put the stinger at the end of the exhuast? Seems like the bottom of the pipe will load up with oil? [sm=confused.gif]
Old 12-07-2007, 06:59 AM
KILL--ROY

Thanks for the Pics. I got mine on tuesday, cant open it till chirstmas[>:]
Old 12-07-2007, 07:56 AM
muscleflex

thanks for the posts!
that rotostart looked more like a dremel to me. until i see one in person, i can't work out how to use it...
the only rotostart i've seen is the one on my hpi rs4 evo

i can't wait to get the s50 then. definitely gonna go to the model shop this weekend and check it out.

can you possibly take a pic of the truck next to a person? for size comparison? a baby if you have one as i'm using my 10month old baby as an excuse to my wife to get one. ( i told her our baby told me he wants it! :-) )
Old 12-07-2007, 01:57 PM
easyrabbit

ORIGINAL: docphysics

wow, side exhaust engine. hmmm..... and they put the stinger at the end of the exhuast? Seems like the bottom of the pipe will load up with oil? [sm=confused.gif]
No it is in the rear or is it a side type mounted on the rear? You lost me with the oil part. I'm kinda new to nitro so have not gone through a lot of the pains other have. How would the pipe fill with oil?

Rabbit
Old 12-07-2007, 02:19 PM
docphysics

the exhaust fumes are filled with oil, which condenses in the pipe. Typical stingers are at the bottom of the pipe, to allow the oil to drain. But with the stinger at the end of the pipe like on the MGT 8, seems like it would pool at the bottom of the pipe. But I am sure Associated knows what they are doing.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:34 PM
scottywilkes

u mean u are sure thunder tiger knows what there doin as they made it HEHE

2 stroked work on the principle, that no they dont have a seperate oil chamber to lubricate the internals, but instead the lubricant is mixed with the feul, how the lubricant works is, when the fuel enters the motor, it brings the oil with it, when it passes over the crank pins, piston walls, bearings etc, it lubricates them, now when the motor combusts, the expended oil is exhausted out of the exhaust with the exhaust gases, this also works as a heat transfer as the oil is hot and it takes the heat with it out of the motor.

The pipe should be fine, as the pulses force the gases and fumes to the end of the pipe anyway, just with a side stinger pipe, its the only escape so it goes out there.

It should work ok, about as good as the stock 4.6 pipe, its gonna be interesting what pipes will run well with this motor.

Most pipes are have the stinger on the side
Old 12-07-2007, 09:22 PM
BChiz

Hey Easyrabbit, don't forget to take some videos of your new MGT for us to see. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:46 PM
easyrabbit

ORIGINAL: BChiz

Hey Easyrabbit, don't forget to take some videos of your new MGT for us to see. Thanks.

Ok here is a quick video I got up. This is starting at about the 6th tank and still running rich. Let me know what you think... I'm new to nitro and not sure if I am doing anything right half the time LOL. I do like this truck for sure, below is what I wrote on the youtube site...

Here is the video...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Orrp2zb6UhM

----------------------------------------------------------------

This is it, the new MGT 8.0. So far very impressive I must say. I have only minimal bad things to say right now... Do not like the tires and just at the end of the third tank (#9 total) the servo saver looks like it came loose. I broke it down and nothing seems to be broken on it so I put it all back together with a little lock tight. I'm ready with my Hitec and TA saver for Hitec when it does go tho!

Anyway, so far I am really liking this truck. It is big and bad and really fast! I mean I will race my Revo with this sucker any day. This is definitly going to be a truck I run for a long time to come.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:07 AM
mtbkym01

OMG! [X(] that looks awesome, now what am I gonna do? Was thinking an aftershock, but now I dont know.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:35 AM
muscleflex

thanks for the vid! i can't wait to get mine! i bet this would be excellent on snow!

yours is probably the only vid on youtube for this new truck! lol (there's two for the s50 but that's it)
Old 12-08-2007, 02:26 AM
KILL--ROY

What fuel are you using, easyrabbit. Thanks for the vid. I have the white and blue one two.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:33 AM
scottywilkes

what are u folks getting in runtime with the .50? The fuel tank is the same 150cc tank as the 4.6 right?
Old 12-08-2007, 02:39 AM
duckedup

Nice vid... looks like it hauls biscuits! [8D]
Old 12-08-2007, 05:59 AM
HerrSavage

That truck looks like a lot of fun..
Old 12-08-2007, 06:06 AM
easyrabbit

Thanks! Will try to post more later. Will try to take it down to the beach and hit some dunes.... Next time I run I will lean out a bit and get it poppin a bit more. It looks like the servo and saver are fine, just came loose which is good. I heard that was a weak point for this truck. I also notice they sell a better steering assembly as a "Factory Team" part. So far it is fine to me as long as it does not break. It barley does the job it is supposed to which is what I would expect from an RTR. When it does break I will put a much better servo in there.

I need to look up what tank it has but runtime is not that bad at the moment. Maybe a little short, probably because I am running a little on the rich side. I want to say 10-15 minutes but I really was not paying attention. I am using Traxxas Top Fuel 20% since I already have my other trucks running on it and it is the best brand they got at my LHS.

Thanks for the comments, will try to get more vid up there later. Got mom in town for a couple weeks so I will keep her on the camera. I think she did pretty good for her first time!

R
Old 12-08-2007, 06:21 AM
easyrabbit

One thing I do not like are the tires. My Mega Baja rolls over those curbs like they are not even there. If I put bigger tires on there it would hurt my high speed handling but who cares, I would rather roll over curbs LOL.... The stock tires are probably the best choice for offroad and the high speeds the truck hits... Any comments or suggestions on tires?

Old 12-08-2007, 06:27 AM
scottywilkes

ive got big joes on my MGT and love them.

Also i wouldnt bother waiting for the stock steering servo to break lol, its metal geared and DAM strong, so id recomend replacing it now if u dont like it lol, because it wont break HAHA.

The FT steering kit is great, ive got 1 on order for my MGT at the moment, im nearly to the point that not much is stock on my truck LMAO
Old 12-08-2007, 09:28 AM
vulpina

is this thing the same as the TT ek4 i heard there is a series with .90 engine in those
Old 12-08-2007, 09:38 AM
BChiz

Hey Easyrabbit, Thanks for the video. That thing is fricking awsome and seems to have tremendous power and torque. I will definitely be getting one of these. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.