Community
Search
Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

OFFICIAL MONSTER GT 8.0, MMGT FORUM

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Bria1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL MONSTER GT 8.0, MMGT FORUM

Something with the brakes that can be easily overlooked is the adjustment of the spring on the throttle linkage by the servo. If the collar isn't set properly, that spring will bottom out. When that happens the servo won't be able to apply the brake any further unless it bends the throttle linkage. Loosen that collar up and set it so it is just against the spring and not compressing it. I ran into this with my MGT 4.6. After adjusting that collar and doing the fuel tubing thing, mine can endo when hitting the brakes with the stock throttle servo, which is only like 40 some ounces of torque.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:26 AM
dominicevans

the THUNDER TIGER SLEDGE HAMMER S50 seems to be the same as the mgt 8.0 just for Europe but it looks nicer
Old 03-31-2008, 04:59 AM
longie13

Hey guys first time posting here I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Nitro! I've had my MGT 8.0 for 2 weeks. Hoping you guys have some suggestions for me I keep busting rod ends on my turnbuckles. I also think I killed the stock steering servo, I put Proline 40 series with Big Joe tires after running for under 2 minutes truck will not turn anymore. I've tried my LHS but the cant give me any answers. Hoping to only spend in the 100 dollar range for a servo! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any good bashing spots in Los Angeles (South Bay, Harbor Area)
Old 03-31-2008, 10:50 AM
K223

It's pretty much a two way street, so whatever you do on the break linkage side can pretty much effect your throttle and you have to adjust or at least check the other. Once you have it setup decently you can fine tune your brakes and you won't effect the throttle. First make sure your throttle opens and closes all the way without bottoming out the spring as someone mentioned a couple of posts back. Once that is good, you can setup your brakes and make sure your not throwing off your throttle. Brake pads should have some slight play when no braking is applied, not alot but you can move them with your finger so they do not drag all the time taking power away from the truck. Set your transmitter trim to neutral and if you have the correct size piece of fuel tube on the brake linkage probably about an inch or so worth you can can then turn the bloack end cap to tighten things down. Work the brakes and adjust the end piece until they just lock up nicely. Make sure your not taking away from or unadjusting your throttle linkage setup. If need be you can fine tune from the transmitter using the trim....You can use it for your throttle and brake adjustment as necessary. But your final tuning of the brakes will need to be done while driving your truck. I managed to get mine braking nicely with the stock servo. While it might not stop on a dime it should stop rather decently. I installed the AE hi torque steering servo on the throttle and brakes afterwards and it really improved the braking and throttle response for cheap. So much on the brakes I had to dial alot of braking action out as it would flip the truck over frontwards with too much brake dialed in....So with patience and maybe a servo upgrade you can get all the braking you want.

Harder breaking is tougher on the diffs however, but I verifyed and reshimmed as necessary to make sure I had plenty of teeth biting properly within them.

K223
Old 03-31-2008, 01:14 PM
easyrabbit

ORIGINAL: longie13

Hey guys first time posting here I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Nitro! I've had my MGT 8.0 for 2 weeks. Hoping you guys have some suggestions for me I keep busting rod ends on my turnbuckles. I also think I killed the stock steering servo, I put Proline 40 series with Big Joe tires after running for under 2 minutes truck will not turn anymore. I've tried my LHS but the cant give me any answers. Hoping to only spend in the 100 dollar range for a servo! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any good bashing spots in Los Angeles (South Bay, Harbor Area)
Make sure the screw holding the servo saver is not just loose. That happens a lot. I am putting in that Hitec 333oz. torque deal right and will tell you how that works out. I tell ya, the Factory Team Steering assembly/saver is kind of a pain LOL. Got to have toothpick fingers to get at that nut....

I'm in LA, Culver City... We go to Culver Park (Where the new skate park is), Dockweiler beach, Saugus (hot rod hobbies track)... and right now on the corner of Washington and Culver (that weird spot where they meet) at a construction site that has piles of dirt and gravel.

Where are you... PM me if you like. We are always looking for cool people to hang with us.

Aloha

PS: Get your linkage looking EXACTLY like it is in the manual. Just follow what they did there and then do the radio thing. I found that despite one's own personal knowledge or how they like to go about their linkage setup, if you follow the pictures exactly on most models, that gets you right where you need to be. It sounds dumb but a lot of people don’t do it. Forget about anything else that may run through your head while setting up linkage or what ever, just make sure you get it all looking like the pics and 9 times out of 10 it will be so close to perfect you hardly need the radio. Just my own 2 cents... just something someone told me once when I was bugging out trying to get the linkage right and he was totally right and I have such an easier time now with that part of things. Don’t get me wrong now, its good to understand the how’s and why's but just doing it enough and you will get it.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:33 PM
easyrabbit

ORIGINAL: K223

It's pretty much a two way street, so whatever you do on the break linkage side can pretty much effect your throttle and you have to adjust or at least check the other. Once you have it setup decently you can fine tune your brakes and you won't effect the throttle. First make sure your throttle opens and closes all the way without bottoming out the spring as someone mentioned a couple of posts back. Once that is good, you can setup your brakes and make sure your not throwing off your throttle. Brake pads should have some slight play when no braking is applied, not alot but you can move them with your finger so they do not drag all the time taking power away from the truck. Set your transmitter trim to neutral and if you have the correct size piece of fuel tube on the brake linkage probably about an inch or so worth you can can then turn the bloack end cap to tighten things down. Work the brakes and adjust the end piece until they just lock up nicely. Make sure your not taking away from or unadjusting your throttle linkage setup. If need be you can fine tune from the transmitter using the trim....You can use it for your throttle and brake adjustment as necessary. But your final tuning of the brakes will need to be done while driving your truck. I managed to get mine braking nicely with the stock servo. While it might not stop on a dime it should stop rather decently. I installed the AE hi torque steering servo on the throttle and brakes afterwards and it really improved the braking and throttle response for cheap. So much on the brakes I had to dial alot of braking action out as it would flip the truck over frontwards with too much brake dialed in....So with patience and maybe a servo upgrade you can get all the braking you want.

Harder breaking is tougher on the diffs however, but I verifyed and reshimmed as necessary to make sure I had plenty of teeth biting properly within them.

K223
It takes a couple extra seconds but start all your settings at like 70% or what ever. Then setup each thing with the remote. You not only get everything set up perfectly but you avoid screwing up your servo's. LOL, I know this is all DUH stuff but I am noticing the reasons why (or what not) they say this in the manual and all that (I'm a newbie yea yea yea). I dont pay attention to that stuff then screw something up and wind up seeing it right there in the manual... I think they call it finding out the hard way or something LOL
Old 04-04-2008, 02:31 PM
easyrabbit

For some reason I end up rushing the body even when I dont need to... I screwed up the body.... its just not a great job at all. It will be my basher body. I love that little extra protection it gives the cooling head for sure. Going to get another GraveDigger and do something cool with it.... try not to screw it up.... maybe pay somone to do it LOL...

With the Big Joes it shakes a little bit too... its kinda funny looking but not that bad. I will post some video of it later....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44180.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	921527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41719.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	921528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58670.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	921529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq41918.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	921530   Click image for larger version

Name:	It98715.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	921531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ka43034.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	921532  
Old 04-04-2008, 03:17 PM
K223

ORIGINAL: easyrabbit

For some reason I end up rushing the body even when I dont need to... I screwed up the body.... its just not a great job at all. It will be my basher body. I love that little extra protection it gives the cooling head for sure. Going to get another GraveDigger and do something cool with it.... try not to screw it up.... maybe pay somone to do it LOL...

With the Big Joes it shakes a little bit too... its kinda funny looking but not that bad. I will post some video of it later....

Man that thing looks sick...Like the headlights....Freaky machine...I bet it protects the cooling head. Do you think it will cool good enough? The pictures online don't do it justice, I am sure in person it looks fatter...The big joes add to the look. What brand of wheels do you run?

Does anyone know if Axial makes 23mm style wheels if I run the adapters as they are listed mainly as 17mm and I know we have 23mm hex's stock....How do I make this work??? I like the looks of the Axial black chrome's with the beadlocks.

Going to run and tune mine today for a bit FINALLY!!! After getting it back to gether with the new carb! Giving an MC9 (Cold plug) and 30% fuel the go ahead.

Did you ever get that 23 tooth clutch bell yet? Curious to see how the truck would perform with it.

K223
Old 04-04-2008, 03:20 PM
K223

Actually I took another look....It should cool better with this body than with the factory body and nothing cut out. I am going to get the F-650 Ford body soon and do it up....I like it because it's basically the biggest body you can get for our trucks. I know your Gravedigger is the tallest...LOL

Man that thing is sick...You must be sick...LOL

Nice

K223
Old 04-04-2008, 03:52 PM
longie13

Well guys thanks for the advise I ended up going with the JR DS8711 servo with 403oz of torque and the Associated optional steering kit. Man this thing turns like crazy now!! All most eliminated rollovers I can react by turning opposite direction and it settles down.

Your Grave Digger body looks great you have a really clean looking truck. I tried painting my F-650 body and it looks like a 2 year old did I've never had any skill when it comes to painting.

I've broke several turnbuckles you guys have any opinions about the FT Titanium or Lunsford turnbuckles? I also seen these http://www.fullforcerc.com/MGT.html and was considering them?
Old 04-04-2008, 03:56 PM
K223

Well guys thanks for the advise I ended up going with the JR DS8711 servo with 403oz of torque and the Associated optional steering kit. Man this thing turns like crazy now!! All most eliminated rollovers I can react by turning opposite direction and it settles down.

Your Grave Digger body looks great you have a really clean looking truck. I tried painting my F-650 body and it looks like a 2 year old did I've never had any skill when it comes to painting.

I've broke several turnbuckles you guys have any opinions about the FT Titanium or Lunsford turnbuckles? I also seen these http://www.fullforcerc.com/MGT.html and was considering them?
403 oz of torque? Wow....Must turn on the dime....I thought Easyrabbit's Hitec at 333oz sounded like a monster. So I gather your running a 5 cell receiver pack? How man MAH's is it??? Do let us know what kind of run times your getting out of a fully charged pack with the big servo as I am taking notes on doing this upgrade. I'm sure the smoothness and tight precision of the FT steering really helps too.

K223
Old 04-04-2008, 06:13 PM
KILL--ROY

Why do you need so much torque, the stock servo works fine
Old 04-04-2008, 07:54 PM
K223

I think it's a bit underpowered for quick turns if your going at a rapid rate of speed. And for track use it really will be needed.

K223
Old 04-05-2008, 01:37 AM
longie13

Original:KILL--ROY

Kill-Roy I went with the higher torque servo because within minutes of putting on Proline 40 series with Big Joe Tires it shredded the Gears in the servo.

Original K223

403 oz of torque? Wow....Must turn on the dime....I thought Easyrabbit's Hitec at 333oz sounded like a monster. So I gather your running a 5 cell receiver pack? How man MAH's is it??? Do let us know what kind of run times your getting out of a fully charged pack with the big servo as I am taking notes on doing this upgrade. I'm sure the smoothness and tight precision of the FT steering really helps too.

K223
Going to be running it all day tomorrow! I'll be able to post what kind of battery life I'm getting sometime in the evening. It's a 1600 MAH hump pack.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:20 AM
easyrabbit

Original:KILL--ROY

Kill-Roy I went with the higher torque servo because within minutes of putting on Proline 40 series with Big Joe Tires it shredded the Gears in the servo.

Original K223

K223
Going to be running it all day tomorrow! I'll be able to post what kind of battery life I'm getting sometime in the evening. It's a 1600 MAH hump pack.
I have been running it with BJ's and that stock servo has held up much much better than I thought it would. This last time I changed it to the 333 but I need to tightn up the steering servo and put some locktite on it or something.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:29 PM
forlorm22

Hey guys, I see you all talking about servo's and all that. I was running my tuck today and everything was going good but at times it seems like the steering just isn't there. Even when I'm coasting (off the throttle so I make sure the front wheels are making good contact). It just seems like she doesn't wanna turn lol. Well I was checking around a bit and see some of you changing steering servo and possibly putting the stock steering servo into the throttle servo position? Is that a pretty straight forward thing to do? I'm really knew to r/c and haven't messed with this sort of thing before. Also can anyone tell me what servo would be a good one I saw 333oz. in the post but I looked on ebay and there are a million servo's and I didn't see any that just outright said 333 oz. Maybe a link or a brand name and model number or something like that? I also saw something about being able to buy on upgrade to the steering arms or something like that? Where might I find that stuff? The truck is a BEAST I just need to get some good steering and brakes and I'll be set lol. I did replace the springs with reds all the way around and that helped a lot. Thanks for any insight or help.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:32 PM
forlorm22

One other question for now. I have been using AA batteries in the truck is it better to get a bat pack or something or are the AA bats just as good. If a bat pack is better what ones do you guys suggest? I just dont want to be ordering stuff and end up not being the right things.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Elite_Tux487

Check the screws that screw into the bellcrank they can come loose or one side will be missing and it will give a loose feeling of steering. Nimh rechargeable packs are a lot better than the stock AA battery holder. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTYW3&P=7 All of the servos on the mgt are standard size so yes they are interchangeable.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Elite_Tux487

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHZR9&P=ML I believe this is the 333 oz/in servo ...which seems quite a bit over kill to me...o_0
Old 04-06-2008, 12:01 AM
forlorm22

What would you suggest for a steering servo then? And the screws your talking about in the bell crank? Do you find those on the underside of the truck? sorry I'm pretty new and not too sure on what you mean. Will that battery pack fit in where the old stock batteries go? One more question lol. I bought a venom 7.2v battery for the pistol drill started and a super brain 820 battery charger. Will that charger work for those batteries and to charge that batteries do you just take them out of the truck?
Old 04-06-2008, 04:55 AM
KILL--ROY

What needle settings did you guys use to break your truck in.

My manual has to different settings

Are they set from the factory ?
Old 04-06-2008, 09:17 AM
easyrabbit

Have not had much time to really play but took some vid messing around out on the street... Give you some shots of the GraveDigger on it.... This is running with the 333oz servo but I still need to tighten up that steering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj8XlbOztGk

Old 04-06-2008, 09:34 AM
SycoCell
My Feedback: (3)

The factory break in settings should be set already. I made the mistake and followed the book. Just try cranking it over and doing the procedure. If nothing happens, verify that the settings are all factory (shown on the front of one of the books) It is something like 4.5 turns out for the HS and 6.75 turns out for the LS. I'm pretty sure off the top of my head that's what they are. But some trucks won't even run with that. Mine doesn't. It's too rich. So sometimes you need to lean it up a tad. But for breakin, keep it rich.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Elite_Tux487

Yes they are on the underside of the truck going through the front blue anodized skid plate. As for a steering servo..I still have the stock one and I can't complain about it..maybe someone else can chime in..I would assume one that has somewhere around 200 oz/in of torque would be plenty. The stock servo has 111 oz/in of torque. Yes that battery pack should fit right into the battery box. As for charging u might need an adapter. And I believe that the charger u have will not safely charge the receiver pack. It says 6-7 sub C cells or larger. Something like this would be better. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRST9&P=ML and this adapter http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAKC3&P=7
Old 04-06-2008, 10:30 AM
SycoCell
My Feedback: (3)

Yeah the stock servo is plenty good. Enless you are a racer, which the MGT is not a race vehicle, stick with the stock. Plus, if and when it breaks, it will only be 20 bucks to get a new one versus 100 or so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.