Community
Search
Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

What to do first to an 8.0?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:11 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do first to an 8.0?

I'm buying an MGT 8.0 off of my buddy tomorrow or the day after that. He wants to sell it to me cheap and it's almost brand new. I think he's a little scared of all of the power. I however love it!!!!

What things should I do to it first? As of right now we've barely broken it in; it probably has about a 1/2 gallon of 30% Race Nitrotane through it at the moment. We've got it shifting about perfect and I think the slipper clutch setting is about prime now. It's also had 4 red springs added; one to each corner. The first thing I'm going to do to it when I get it is put 50w shock oil in all 8 shocks. I think then the handling will be about how I want it; hopefully it won't be as flippy in the corners.[&:] It's going to be a basher pretty much full time. I may race it on the track at my house a little, but it's designed for 1/10th scale cars, so the tracks a little tight for this monster.

One of the first mods I'll probably do is put the FT aluminium shock caps on all of the shocks, since I hear the shock caps popping off is an issue. Other than that I don't really know where to start. I don't want the FOC, unless I break the transmission, because it's a basher and reverse is too convenient in a basher. I've also read that the diffs need to be disassembled and reshimed properly. I suppose I'll do this sooner than later so that I don't blow my diffs out. So, what I'm looking to find out is what order people think I should do things to it. In the order of most important to least of course.[8D] I know I can buy shock caps, GPM aluminium diff cases, RPM a-arms, header, pipe, rims, tires, and shocks. Otherwise I don't really know of any other mods for it.

Also, this thing keeps breaking body mount posts when it takes even the slightest slow moving rollover![:@] Anybody know of a solution for that? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. I would rather learn from others mistakes than make them myself!!
Old 04-15-2009, 08:55 AM
nightwolf1969c

Default RE: What to do first to an 8.0?

get the nova head for it will cut down your temps. http://www.novarcproducts.com/mgt.html or look on ebay for it
Old 04-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Barber420

I saw those on ebay last night actually. Is it important enough that I should do it before some of the other upgrades?[&:]
Old 04-15-2009, 06:37 PM
nightwolf1969c

they say it droppes temps by 20% to 40% . i have one on mine and it did drop the temp
Old 04-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Barber420

Alright I'll put the nova head at the top of the list, or at least in the top 3 depending on price differences. Now, what would someone say is the next must have upgrade for durability and performance? As I said, I'm not going to race this truck so I'm leaning more towards the durability side of things. I don't want to sacrifice any durability for performance, but if I can get improved durability and performance that's sweet.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Barber420

Alright, I've got my MGT 8.0 now. I do agree that doing that NOVA head is worth doing very soon. I noticed that after every 2-3 tanks she was getting a little warm and so I'd have to let it sit and cool for a half an hour or so. That aint gonna cut it as I want to be able to drive for like an hour straight.

I really put it through its paces yesterday and beat the crap out of it. The only things I broke were the two back body mount posts, but that's happened before so I know they're weak, and I sheared off the screws that hold the rear bumper upper brace to the bumper. This thing really seems to be quite bulletproof. I'm starting to think that the only things I probably really need to do are get the factory team shock caps, put the Nova head on it, probably get the GPM diff housings, and I guess I should probably buy a Titanium, or at least Stainless, screw kit for it. I also think I'm going to put in a second tank instead of a tuned side pipe since it sucks the fuel down, but already has plenty of power.

Also, I'm still hoping someone has a trick for the body mount posts that'll keep them from breaking so often. That'll get kind of expensive after a little while of driving it.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Barber420

Nobody has anymore tips? I've got a second gas tank on the way and I'm going to install it into my 8.0 so I have 2 gas tanks. This will solve short run time issues. I plan on getting the head on the first of May. I've already adjusted my suspension to my liking. Now I just have to get FT shock caps and the FT steering bell crank. Other than that I don't really think I'll need anything else, but I've only got a gallon through this things so far so if I'm going to need anything else as far as hop ups I'd like to know. I already have several sets of body mounts and a set of shock towers. I don't think I'll really break much else it seems. I might pick up a set of a-arms just to be safe.