Community
Search
Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

MGT 8.0 ROCKS! Upgrades???

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 04:51 PM
DanMN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MGT 8.0 ROCKS! Upgrades???

i've had my 8.0 for about 2 months now. Only problems were, blew the front diff and the front drive cup screw kept coming out (loctite fixed that). This thing is a tank as far as durability! I have launched it 14 ft up in a gravel pit off a ridge and landed, not well, and no problems! Blows the doors off my buddies Savage and T Max 3.3! I've added a tank, used loctite on every metal to metal screw, put 40 series Dirt Hawgs on it, and put on a Nova head, that's it. Oh yeah, shimmed the diffs. I don't think it needs a pipe, plenty of power. I had to play with with the shift timing a bit, but got it tuned where I want it now. I see alot of people have issues with break in. This, i'm guessing, is due to them using the glow igniter that is included with the truck. This glow igniter is pretty worthless as all D cell ones are. Use a nice rechargeable during break in and you shouldn't have many problems.

I would highly recommend the Nova RC Products cooling head for the 8.0. It really brings the temps down.

Thought I would add a new post to this thread. It has been kind of dead lately. Has anyone heard of new upgrades for the 8.0? I know it's still kind of new yet andhaven't seen much for upgrades anywhere?

Old 06-07-2009, 09:27 PM
SFC K

Default RE: MGT 8.0 ROCKS! Upgrades???

Welcome aboard Dan! I have the origanal .21 MGT. I love this truck! I upgrade to RPMArms and pivot ball carriers. They are super tough. Also Lunsford Tierods. Super light and strong. Also upgraded the steering with the AE Aluminum option set. Not sure if this works on the 8.0 or not. but thought I'd throw thta out there.

Jeff
Old 06-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

I have the Nova head on my 8.0 and I love it!! It looks way cooler and keeps the engine temps way down. I have RPM A-arms coming, because I finally broke one; and I've added the Factory Team titanium turnbuckles, because I got a great deal on ebay. I've also put a second tank on it so I get longer run times. My next mod is going to be the FT steering bellcrank. The stock steering sucks, because that's way too much pressure on a servo horn servo saver. It needs the bellcrank with servo saver so I can just run a large Du-bro servo horn. Oh, I've also added 4 red springs and 4 progressive rate springs to it and it handles 100 times better now!
Old 06-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Jarrett123

Where did you find the head, Progressive springs, and Bellcrank?

Old 06-08-2009, 02:44 PM
Barber420

The Nova head was an ebay find and they're on ebay ALL the time. They go for about $35-45. The FT bellcrank can be found pretty much anywhere. The progressive rate springs I found on ebay, I've never seen them before or since buying them;I think I got lucky and found a great product that is virtually unattainable! They were stated to be for T/E-Maxx and MGT's. They were a no-name brand that I can't remember either. If I ever see them for sale again I'll post a link in this thread. They're blue in color and go from about 3lbs./in up to over 7lbs./in in spring rate. Keep checking on ebay and maybe you'll get lucky and find some.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Jarrett123

Ok Thanks I'm getting ready to buy one and want it to be as good as possible. I've been reading around on what to do first there are about five threads on it. The truck seems reliable by what i've seen and heard so i'm gonna get it. If i can't find the progressive then i'll get four reds untill i can.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:40 PM
DanMN

I'm running 4 reds on the outsides. Firms it up nice. I added a thick collar to all theshocks also. These might get removed after a few more outings. It makes the truck a little unstable on jump take offs. I got my Nova head from my LHS. They carry alot of items most LHS's don't. I am going to do the steering upgrade also. Can't hurt.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Barber420

You can also get an RDlogic dual exhaust pipe for it too! I'm thinking about getting one in a couple of months after I've spent some money on other RC's that need tending to. At first, I thought the 8.0 didn't need any more power, but now that I'm used to it, why not? If I can make it go 70mph I might as well! I've got a huge yard, field, and large wooden ramps to play with it on.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:12 AM
sonicj
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Barber420

My next mod is going to be the FT steering bellcrank. The stock steering sucks, because that's way too much pressure on a servo horn servo saver. It needs the bellcrank with servo saver so I can just run a large Du-bro servo horn.
are you dead set on the ft servo saver? i haven't owned one perosnally, but i hear it binds easily and requires a lot of cleaning to keep it functioning properly. plus its EXPENSIVE! i would think you could do the dual servo mod with the beefy [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXS361&P=7]kimbrough savers[/link] for roughly the same amount (depending on the price of your current servo) AND at the same Double your torque!!! have you tried that saver? its VERY strong! just my 2¢ fwiw
Old 06-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Barber420

I was considering just sticking a Kimborough servo saver on it, but I figured the FT bellcrank w/servo saver would be better. It has issues huh? I keep my stuff pretty clean, so that wouldn't be an issue. I'm one of the few people on here who has an air compressor, so the RC's get thoroughly cleaned after every run.

Where would I mount a second servo on the MGT 8.0? The spot where a second servo would go is covered up by the battery box. It's easy enough to mount a second servo on an MMGT, but not an MGT.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:10 PM
Barber420

I put a Kimborough servo saver on and it made a world of difference. I still think I'm going to put the FT bellcrank on, but at least I can put it off for a while now. Also put my RPM a-arms on and I love what they did to the truck. It handles even better now!!! Plus, I think it looks a lot cooler with the blue RPM's on it. Now all I have to buy is RPM knuckles, FT bellcrank, RD logics dual exhaust pipe, and maybe some wider wheels and tires. I've already got a Nova head, Servo Saver, a-arms, and second tank done to it.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:43 PM
DanMN

I brought the truck with on a weekend golf outing and ran it with a bunch of guys that haven't ran RC vehicles before.  We built a 4 ft high jump with some plywood and we went at it.  Every one drove the truck and I expected to be rebuilding and repairing this week.  They beat the heck out of the truck and nothing got damaged!  A little scratched up (more than it already was), but nothing structural.  This thing was 6 Ft in the air and landing on the front and back constantly.  It just kept going!  I am totally impressed with this truck.  I get more and more confident with it everytime I have it out.  It runs great at 240 to 250.  It's been hotter during breakin, but still has good compression and power.  I'm now 2 gallons in.  Thinking about putting RPM arms all the way around, but don't know if it's necessary.  The standard arms seem to hold up to anything I have done to them so far.  The RPM's would look cool though.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:47 PM
DanMN

Oh yeah, driving and working on this truck makes me feel 14 y/o again.  Much different than planes, which I have a bunch.  That's a bonus since I am 44..........  I always thought trucks would be boring......  I didn't know what I was missing!
Old 06-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Barber420

Yeah, the MGT 8.0 really is a great MT! I ordered the FT aluminium shock caps for it now too. I've been having issues with blowing the crappy plastic ones off. Like you were saying, now that I've driven it a bunch I've gotten way confident with it and I am beating it to death!!! However, I have no issues aside from the shock caps popping off now! I'm sure someday I'll probably get RPMknuckles for it, but I suppose if I never break any I may not either. Still am definitely anxious to get that RDlogic pipe someday. This thing is super loud already, it'll probably be nuts with a tuned dual exhaust!
Old 06-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Barber420

Got my aluminium shock caps on and I've decided they are a must have upgrade!!! It's easier to adjust ride height clips, and they DONOTevery pop off; belive me, I tried!!
Old 06-24-2009, 09:56 AM
neillarson

Not sure about progressive rate springs, but I have dual rate on my Losi XXL from RCRaven. Here is a link to their MGT 8.0 springs:

http://www.rcraveninc.com/c=xVo4sMfN...onstergtparts/
Old 06-24-2009, 07:01 PM
DanMN

I am going to get the aluminum shock caps this weekend! Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Barber420

No problem! You'll love them. They are WAY better than the stock crap shock caps! They make the truck look better and cleaner too as an added bonus.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:57 AM
flatout->

I've just bought an sta4 with a new sh 28 in it, never had one of these trucks before, had revos, lst's and plenty of time behind the wheel of a savage but this beast is about the best of them all, great handling, rock solid build, easy enough to work on, cheap parts and it's very very quick for a such a big mother of a truck. The only down side is starting and refuelling because I have to take the body off which is a bit of a PITA

Does anyone know if theres a larger tank that will fit? And is there a roto start unit that will bolt onto to the sh 28?
Old 12-12-2009, 11:49 AM
driller2948

ORIGINAL: flatout->

I've just bought an sta4 with a new sh 28 in it, never had one of these trucks before, had revos, lst's and plenty of time behind the wheel of a savage but this beast is about the best of them all, great handling, rock solid build, easy enough to work on, cheap parts and it's very very quick for a such a big mother of a truck. The only down side is starting and refuelling because I have to take the body off which is a bit of a PITA

Does anyone know if theres a larger tank that will fit? And is there a roto start unit that will bolt onto to the sh 28?
You just need to cut a hole in the windsheild and another in the window on the fuel tank side no more removing the body
Old 12-12-2009, 11:50 AM
driller2948

I don’t see how replacing the plastic shock caps with aluminum would be all that much better? The shock itself is plastic and would still have a tendency to pop the aluminum caps wouldn’t it? Although it’s a very economical upgrade considering the price of a full set of shocks!

I still run the standard shocks with the plastic caps and don’t have any problems. My longest jumps are 30’ at 12’ – 18’ ft. high. Jumping my loading dock at work and I get good lift out of a drainage ditch and can almost clear a two lane street about 35’ wide. Any higher and longer I might have more problems. If you want really good shocks the Mugen 5T front shocks will fit! Not sure about the 6T big bore I only have the 5T. Problem is they run about $30-$40 a set of two on eBay. Look for bargains.

Not sure yet when I get more time I will! But from the looks of it the Mugen knuckles might also fit making the RPM knuckle mod not necessary. The addition of HPI 8mm stub axles will fit the standard 8.0 or 4.6 dog bone, 8x16x5 rubber sealed bearings you can use any truggy or buggy wheel adapters. Best of all bigger, better, longer lasting bearings.
Here’s a link to the knuckle info:
http://csgbenefits.org/mgt/MGT-RPM_Knuck_Mod.htm

The FT steering bell crank is a definite upgrade! If you want a tighter turning radius pick up one of the TD drag links it’s a little longer then the FT link and will give you a little more steering.
http://www.tdracingrc.com/mgtdraglink.htm

Here’s some more good info:
http://csgbenefits.org/mgt/

The only other recommendations:
shim the diff’s. I did this with my original .21 and still running them today in my current MGT
If you have a pre 8.0 I would also recommend the 8.0 transmission and brace. I run the 8.0 tranny with standard savage and associated clutch bells. What ever I can find at a bargain.
FOC if you like having reverse then keep it. Your one way hub in the tranny wont last long but experiencing the failures is what the hobby is about.

This is just provided info please take it with a grain of salt! It’s not my way or the highway!
Enjoy my brothers.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Lord Maccrage

Im thinking about getting a second truck. I have a Revo right now. Is this better than the Losi trucks(lst2,xxl)? Do you guys think I would be happy with this one? I know it for sure looks the collest out of any truck (Revo included)!
Old 12-24-2009, 04:12 PM
neillarson

I had the LST2 with the 454 and a MGT 8.0. I stripped the radio out of the LST2 after 3 months and sold the truck on Ebay. The MGT is a much better truck for bashing and having fun, the LST2 was a better track truck for racing. The LST2 was also harder to keep in tune and ran hotter, i had to cut out front and rear windows, grill and make a cutout in the tailgate to keep it cool. I am still running the MGT with the stock body and just a windshield cut out.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:14 AM
RCaddict80

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just purchased a brand new associated MGT 8.0 couple weeks ago got a bout 10 tanks throough it. are the nova heads still avalible for the 8.0? also i just put the optional header pipe and put a polished ofna hyper dual chamber mid-hi end pipe on it.havnt fired it up yet waiting to hear some opinions on tuning. folks on the forums been saying they had to lean it out right away and alot becuase of the much higher fue pressure in the tank. and becuse of cylinder scavaging. anyone here hava any real experiance with aftermarket pipes for the mgt 8.0 and could share there experiance and give some tips would be great!!! thanks in advance
Old 10-07-2016, 04:36 AM
RCaddict80

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What was your engine temps before and after the nova cooling head?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.