Community
Search
Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

Team Associated MGT 8.0 VS Team Losi LST XXL

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 10:18 AM
neillarson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Team Associated MGT 8.0 VS Team Losi LST XXL

Does anyone have both? Ireaslly would like to here constructive reviews, not "LOSISUCKS" or "My sisters boyfiends uncles kid had one"

I currently have the XXL and love it. I am looking for my next truck and I am tossing around between the MGT 8.0 (I love the Monster Trucks) or going with a truggy, maybe a Losi eight2.0 on the nitro side or an Associated RC8Te for an electric.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:37 PM
HoverDude

Default RE: Team Associated MGT 8.0 VS Team Losi LST XXL

Ok,... I'll make this so simple before all of the debates starts.

MGT 8.0 = Bests Basher.

LST XXL = Best Racer.

That's it,....

If you plan to race on a track the LST XXLis a perfectlybalanced machine.
If you are going to find the tallest dirt hill to bash off of, well, MGT 8.0.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Specialzed
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

And of course you've owned both so you'd know.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:39 PM
elven wizard

I have driven both.

For me it, I liked the XXL for the track. I felt really comfortable with it. Handles really good. Like this is were it's wants to be.

The MGT 8.0 I wanted to destroy dirt mounds and just all out bash.[sm=punching.gif]

There both good. I just felt there apples and oranges between the two of them.

Elven Wizard
Old 06-26-2009, 08:26 PM
HoverDude

ORIGINAL: Specialzed

And of course you've owned both so you'd know.
Well that was a constructive post...

To answer your question, I own an MGT 8.0 and have raced both of them on and off the track.
The main reason I chose the MGT 8.0 is that I live pretty far from the track and don't get out there as much as I would like to.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:48 PM
elven wizard

There both great RC's. It's really comes down to what type of RC running your going to use them for.

Elven Wizard
Old 06-26-2009, 09:30 PM
neillarson

Well the heck with it. I went and bought my MGT today, gonna take them both to the track tomorrow and start breaking in the MGT and try to get the XXL back in tune after the great engine sealing experiment.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:25 PM
ilanstylz
My Feedback: (12)

Man I'm jealous, those are two very badass rc's............. I'm still debating between the XXL or the Savage XL since I already own a MGT........
Old 06-26-2009, 11:11 PM
HoverDude

That's a no brainer,... Go with the Losi. Seriously, way better truck. The Savages just don't cut it in my opinion.

The fuel tank is so exposed that I shattered the tank with the tire of my truck.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:10 AM
elven wizard

Nice MGT, there both awesome trucks ! Let us know what you think of it.

Elven Wizard
Old 07-02-2009, 03:16 AM
AMOUREDTANK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That XXL is sick. I love the way those things look and the way they're built.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:16 AM
ausrcnut

Heya buddy,

how'd the MGT8.0go for ya....??

Im trying to decide on a MGT 8.0, Savage XL or GST 7.7. Engines are not a problem for me, as if Im not happy with one, I'll retrofit a different kind, and there are ways to make the engine respond to where you'd like the power....thus the light I see with the view on the GST 7.7 "lacking topend power". But as far as everyother aspect, its probably choice.

Which do ya like outta tha MGT or the XXL and why....??

Have you seen much of the cen gst 7.7....?? Would you agree that the GST 7.7with the MGT 8.0engine in it would be the ultimate bash truck...??

I really like the way that the SavageXL and the GST 7.7 is engineered and built. Im not a fan of flat-pan chassis, even though they are lighter, they just seem easy and cheapway out to designing a chassis. But hey, thats from an engineering point of view.

Cheers
Old 08-20-2010, 09:38 AM
ntrain42

Well, right now Im playing with a converted Losi LST(Upgraded to XXL specs with a few durability upgrades) and later this afternoon Ill have the chance to play with an MGT 8.0(stock).

I can tell you this. The XXL from Losi is from a design standpoint an excellent design. Simplicity and ease of maintenance could not be better. All the important things are fully interchangeable like the diffs, a-arms,cvd's,shocks etc.(rear diff is also the front etc). The steering linkage is bullitproof and uses twin servos instead of one, and the wheelbase and track give incredible high speed stability.Put $100 in the a arms,diff housings and roll cage and the truck is near bullitproof without question.

I'm going to be playing with the 8.0 when I return this in the afternoon, but right now Im pretty much set on the XXL unless that 8.0 blows me away, but already having played with it at the counter the other day I can tell you from a design point of view that the XXL is clearly better in stock form. And it does come with a much nicer Spektrum DX3S 2.4gig radio and JR servos. But you also gotta remember that the kit IS $200 more roughly. Regardless, out of the box I think you get alot more with the XXL(Especially with the Spektrum radio and LRP .28 spec 3 engine). But before I make full judgement Im going to be running it 8.0 this afternoon so how it handles on a nice dirt track thats great for both bashing and racing.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:41 AM
ntrain42

ORIGINAL: ausrcnut

Heya buddy,

how'd the MGT8.0go for ya....??

Im trying to decide on a MGT 8.0, Savage XL or GST 7.7. Engines are not a problem for me, as if Im not happy with one, I'll retrofit a different kind, and there are ways to make the engine respond to where you'd like the power....thus the light I see with the view on the GST 7.7 "lacking topend power". But as far as everyother aspect, its probably choice.

Which do ya like outta tha MGT or the XXL and why....??

Have you seen much of the cen gst 7.7....?? Would you agree that the GST 7.7with the MGT 8.0engine in it would be the ultimate bash truck...??

I really like the way that the SavageXL and the GST 7.7 is engineered and built. Im not a fan of flat-pan chassis, even though they are lighter, they just seem easy and cheapway out to designing a chassis. But hey, thats from an engineering point of view.

Cheers
Hehe, I didnt realise this thread is a year old. Read above on my opinion.

BTW, the Losi XXL is not a flat pan chassis. Its technically a horizontally opposed ladder chassis. Gives the best of both worlds. The XXL is VERYSTRONGANDDURABLE. And its design couldnt be simpler or better thought out.

Im not a fan of the GST 7.7, its not the best thought out truck, sloppy design. I inquired with a few people who have experience with it. The concensis is, its not very durable ,especially the front end components. You WILL need to convertalot of parts to alloy, and even then expect to "bend" alot of parts.Better off with a Savage XL(And I prefer the XXL overSavage XL without reservation)if your going that route. I like the rebadged TT engine it runs, which is very punchy, but thats about it.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:33 PM
AgentDrewski

Comparing just the size alone how much bigger is the Lois XXL over the MGT 8.0 anyone have the dimensions? I just got a MGT 8.0 I wish I could of got the Losi, But I could not afford a $700 Even though I will put the equivalent in to my MGT. It will be over a period of time not all at once. Over all I think the Losi XXL is Prob top of the line MT right now. I can't think of anything that is better out of the box.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:56 PM
ausrcnut

Like I was saying mate....totally depends on what you want to do with the Vehicle. Impulse buying is what happened just then....good ol story of the calf and the bull. If you can hold out and wait a little, the money would be enough to get what you really want. But, dont dispair, you have got a good strong truck. Make the most of it, learn as much as you can about it, and then when you are happy, you can move onto something else with complete confidence.

LOSI LST XXL
Scale Size: 1:8 Scale
Assembly Level: Ready-To-Run*
Length: 614mm (24.17in)
Width: 438mm (17.24in)
Wheelbase: 368mm (14.49in)
Weight: 5900g (13.01 lbs)

Its mainly the wheel base that sets these two vehicles apart, as well as the SavageXL. The weights are very similar, and at least with the MGT, you have the torque to throw the truck around. Its torque that makes a vehicle fun, especially a monster truck. So, be happy with it, modify it (if you wish) turn it into the vehicle you've dreamtof. Its a very strong truck. If you want a cheaper version of the XXL, then the LAND OVER LORD is a rip off version, but still very very good. Us Humans always want what we dont have. At least you have the opportunity to have one. Im 28 and when I was young....there wasno chance in hell of having one.Remember to run the engine in using stock exhaust before you put the modified exhaust on. And at least this truck is super easy to conduct maintenance and repairson it. Trust me, you'll enjoy it.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:06 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

When I went looking for a 1/8th MT, I was tossed between the MGT and the LST2. (At the time, the XXL wasnt out yet) I was advised by a few of my buds to get the Losi for the best basher truck. I did just that and couldn't be happier. My buddy close to me has an MGT and I'm not impressed with the suspension design. The pivot ball suspension leaves a sour taste in my mouth, and the last time I saw my buddy run his MGT side by side my LST2, the LST2 won in almost every aspect. Not to mention his front right arm pivot disintegrated just running on pavement. The LST2 survived a 4 foot launch into the air time after time while his MGT was sitting back in the truck of his car... Granted this is just one instance, but for a basher truck, The Losi LST line gets the gold medal in my book.

IMO, The only appealing thing about the MGT 8.0 is the .50ci engine. If I were to buy one, Id take the engine off of it and sell the rest as a roller. Even still, that engine isnt a high revver so it would probably be well suited for pull contests and thats about it.

For me, its Losi FTW.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:45 PM
ausrcnut

Im not saying that anyone shouldnt buy an XXL, because I'd buy one myself. I think there are positives with all the vehicles if you spend a little time adjusting them to suit, and to me, is what the Hobby is all about.  The XXL is by far the better truck out of the box, but some people dont get them cause of the cost. Where I am in Oz, they are about $900. And thats at a good price. Another $200 more, and you've got yourself a gas truck. I am impressed with the features of the Losi, it really is a well thought of and designed truck....granted that its American made and designed and not Chinese of course, this all goes into the equation.

I have a MGT and it cost me $600, and Ive done a fair bit to it as well....but only things that are necessary for hardcore bashing. Ive also modified the 8.0 engine for more RPMs. Ive never had a problem with the pivot ball suspension, but thats because I completely clean my trucks off after I abuse them with compressed air and WD40, then grease all moving parts again ready for the next run. So, depends on how you treat your belongings, and what you do with the vehicle. In saying that, now that Ive got a different power curve, the truck is awesome as. I would buy a Losi later maybe....but by then, it'll be a hard call between that and a Gas truck. My MGT handles and goes like a shower of ****....!!! but again....because I enjoy the hobby.

Agentdrewski...if you really really want the Losi, then take the MGT back and get your dream truck. But, in all, if not, then make the most out of your truck..!!!
Old 03-25-2011, 04:54 AM
AgentDrewski

Yea I was thinking about that... I could just take it back and get the Losi. In fact I could of got it that day. But I could not of got the Nitro fuel and other things I got for my MGT. I got a gal of nitro fuel, a 290cc gas tank, and a rechargeable glow stick and was still $100 under the losi lol. I'm going to keep my truck, I'm happy with what I have seen of it so far. If I do buy a new RC it will be a GAS MT or a plane. Next month I might just pick up a used Traxxas 3.3 just for fun. You can find them used for like $200.

Now I'm just looking for aluminum replacement parts for my MGT to make it bash ready!I would love to know, what a must have for them is.
I'm thinking Better shocks, cuz I'm not impress with the ones that it comes with. Also maybe aluminum Aarms, and some new tires. All this will run me right back up to the Losi Price.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:34 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Get RPM arms instead of alum.
Some alum GPM shock towers.
FT alum shock caps, and copper or red springs, or both with one of each in each corner.
Spring mod on the body posts.
Shim the pinions in the diffs.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:15 PM
ausrcnut

Yeah, I still have to shim the pinion in my diffs. Do you have any info on that bud...?
Old 03-25-2011, 06:51 PM
SLAYERDUDE

No I don't, there's a shimming thread I did in the Savage section but I think the MGT needs to be shimmed with the pinion rather than the side...
Haven't been into my MGT diffs yet.
Basically add shims until there is no play between the gears, then take one shim out so there's just a hair of play.
The oil or grease you use will cushion the little slop that is left, same as a 1:1 diff.

Actually I haven't done any of those mods except for the body post springs, but I remembered all that as being highly popular from being the moderator on AE's MGT forums.
Nova cooling heads were huge as well but they fell of the face of the earth...