Community
Search
Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

What rims and tires for an 8.0?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What rims and tires for an 8.0?

Hey guys. I'm sure I could've done a search for this and found some info, but I figured I'd make a new post for the topic to keep some life in here! Anyway, I'm really quite satisfied with the stock wheels and tires on my 8.0 for bashing purposes, but I'd like a little better performance on tracks. The stock tires have soooo much sidewall flex it gets a little crazy to drive!

I'd like a simple and cheap wheel that uses 23mm hexes and is a half-offset wheel. I'd like the 1/2 offset so that the MGT gets a scosche wider and hopefully handles a touch better(unless it is going to cause more breakage issues, but I already have RPM arms). Something like a plain dish wheel is fine, and it still needs to be a 23mm wheel. I've found a couple I'm interested in, but I figured I'd get a take on some of your opinions and experiences.

As for tires, I'd like something in the 40 series range that's approximately the same size as stock(diameter wise). I'm hoping this will give me less sidewall flex and translate into better grip on a track. I'll be driving on hard packed dirt with sporadic grassy spots, but the grassy spots are kept VERY short. My 1/10th scales do very well with hard pins on the track surface I'll be driving the MGT on, so I'd assume something similar on the MGT would do well too.

I've compared the MGT 8.0 wheels/tires to MAXX wheels/tires and I don't like how much smaller the MAXX size tires are, so I'd like to go with something bigger than MAXX wheels and tires.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 07-10-2009, 05:50 PM
sonicj
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: What rims and tires for an 8.0?

all of the track tires i can think of are low profile. some 40 series bowties or crime fighters on axial 1/2 offset rms would be my choice. they aren't quite as tall as i think you're looking for, but to lose the side flex, you gotta lose some height. my 40 series bowties felt great on the track the few times i ran my mgt there. i definitely agree with the 1/2 offset. while i also prefer a larger tire for bashing, the smaller tire diameter felt very appropriate on the track.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Barber420

Ok, thanks for the tip. I'll look into those rims, and I've heard good things about the Bow Ties so I'll probably end up getting some of those. It's good to know that the lower profile tires felt good on the track; I was worried if they were that much smaller I may have to regear everytime I swapped tires. I didn't want to have to deal with that.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:51 PM
sonicj

hmm, these have more offset than i remember them having... what did you end up getting?

Old 07-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Barber420

I got a like new set of 40 series Bow Ties on green/yellow Proline HD Velocity 1/2 offset wheels, and another set of the same thing with only a TINY bit of wear in white for $40 shipped on ebay!!!!! It was a great score! Now I just need to get my engine rebuilt and modded by propinch.com and get the MUCH larger wheel nuts/adapters it now needs.

As for the adapter, I've heard the Pro-Line ones suck and not to use them, and that the Dace 23mm adapters are the way to go. However, I can only find the Dace 23mm adapters for the Jammin truggy. Does anyone know where I can get them for the MGT, or do the Jammin style adapters fit the MGT?
Old 08-04-2009, 03:40 PM
sonicj

does the jammin use a 6mm axle? if so, then it should work. (* i think) i have the proline and they pretty much suck. i've have much better luck with keeping my 17mm axial's on the truck than the 23mm proline adapters. im using some plain hex adapters with the hpi serrated lock nuts. its the 6mm stub axles that really limits your selection of compatible adapters. the expensive but solid solution is the rpm knuck mod by chevy-ss over at monstergt.com. (not sure if hes still doing it anymore, but last i checked he was modding them for free!) he takes the rpm mgt knucks and bores them out to fit 8x16x5 bearings (rpm is 6x15x5, stock is 6x12x4). i haven't had mine done yet, but i hear its HUGE improvement in durability and reliability! then you'll be able to choose from the readily available assorment of lst, savage, etc wheel adapters.