RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Team Associated - Monster GT (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/team-associated-monster-gt-497/)
-   -   Starter Question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/team-associated-monster-gt-497/8567902-starter-question.html)

sonicj 03-11-2009 05:20 PM

Starter Question

i bought a used mgt 4.6 with the .28 motor and it didn't come with the hex adaptor for the starter shaft. my pull string is broke so im double screwed! there isn't a hex adaptor at any of hobby shops within 2 hours and im dyin to try this thing!

i read losi's spin start will work, but im not sure if those people were using different motors... any help would be much appreciated! cheers!
-sj

scott36 03-12-2009 04:10 AM

RE: Starter Question

losi s spin starter works, ive used it myself on the tt motor so shoot the moon and run it .

sonicj 03-12-2009 08:19 AM

do they have more than one model? the spin start at the lhs had a pinion type gear in the middle, but its bore was way smaller than the starter shaft for the mgt... do i need another shaft or do i take the mgt shaft down till it fits?

BuzzBomber 03-12-2009 09:12 AM

If you need a quick fix, take the truck with you to the hardware store and find a ball end allen key the correct size, cut off the angled portion, and chuck it in a power drill.;)

sonicj 03-12-2009 03:47 PM

what good is that going to do me? i already have the ball ended hex stick. i need the coupling adapter!

BuzzBomber 03-12-2009 05:38 PM

Your post isn't exactly clear, at least to me. Simply saying hex adapter could be either the shaft OR the socket. What you want is the starter coupling, part #25353, right? In that case, you could modify a 1/4 drive six point socket the same size as the hex shaft and drill a hole in the side for a set screw, could you not?

sonicj 03-13-2009 11:53 AM

sorry! hex adapter = socket (#25353)

i considered drilling a hex socket or hex drill adaptor but im guessing those things are pretty hard and i don't know where my dad hid his tap & die sets.

i found a universal joint cup with set screws & a dogbone in the bargain bin at the LHS! so it kinda resembled a ghetto hpi rotostart.
http://www.extremercmotorsports.com/...late-400px.jpg
worked great until i sheared off the ends of the dogbones! i might go back up there and see if i can find something a little more beefy.

BuzzBomber 03-13-2009 01:24 PM

Ah well. At least you got something to get you going, sorta! I think the replacement part you need is only like $10-15, so why not have the shop order one in the meantime? Good idea on the universal cup, BTW!

sonicj 03-13-2009 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
thanx! sorry if i came across as an @$$ earlier! that was certainly not my intent! (but it sure looks that way) [sm=47_47.gif]

im not doing something right... i've turned it over plenty of times and its only fired once! it blew off the muffler and a bunch of fuel flew out! the tuning guide didn't mention the screw on the carb below the high speed mixture adjust. i attached a pic to show the one im talking about. anywho, the glow plug works and i think i adjusted everything properly... any ideas, tips or tricks to get this sukka goin? thanx!
-sj

BuzzBomber 03-13-2009 09:36 PM

That's the 'mix metering screw' according to the quick start guide, I think it's really a mid-range needle, but the manual doesn't even mention it. The factory setting is to have the head of the screw flush with the body of the carb around the screw. I don't know if all these engines do the same thing, but to get mine started, I have to prime the heck out of it(and I mean almost flooded) and crank it for several seconds before it will fire. A strong battery for the glow plug heater is important too. Just FYI, my engine is OLD now by r/c car standards and has somewhere between 10-11 gallons of fuel through it under less than ideal conditions.

sonicj 03-14-2009 01:06 AM

that manual is wacky! it's like step 4. do this, this and this. but not until you do step 5 first. bananas!

if i back out the low speed adjustment screw 6 1/4 turns like it says, the throttle linkage doesn't even come close to being able to fit in its spot. i have no idea where im at as far as too much fuel or not enough as im new to the whole nitro thing. def not starting atm! grrrr!

sonicj 03-17-2009 11:45 AM

got her started! i had to seal the motor as there was obviously a leak somewhere. im guessing the carb was the culprit as i still can't get it to stay in place. the pinch bolt thingy won't pinch tight enough. i was thinking i might try to make a shim/gasket out of really thin cardboard. (like taco shell packaging, etc.) while i was in there i replaced the clutch bell bearing as it wasn't sounding to good after multiple cleanings! almost ready to go try to break some stuff! w0ot! :D