RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Team Associated - Monster GT (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/team-associated-monster-gt-497/)
-   -   Just ordered a mgt 8.0 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/team-associated-monster-gt-497/9525954-just-ordered-mgt-8-0-a.html)

geepfreek 02-22-2010 12:21 PM

Just ordered a mgt 8.0

I'm excited. I hope it's better then the 4.6 I had. Don't get me wrong It was a super nice truck but it didn't have the speed of my LST or hadle the abuse of my savy. From what I've read it seems the a-arms are still weak but RPMs will fix that.

1mtx1 02-22-2010 01:36 PM

RE: Just ordered a mgt 8.0

ORIGINAL: geepfreek

I'm excited. I hope it's better then the 4.6 I had. Don't get me wrong It was a super nice truck but it didn't have the speed of my LST or hadle the abuse of my savy. From what I've read it seems the a-arms are still weak but RPMs will fix that.
i think u will like it alot, i do say u have the right idea just upgrade the parts that u know will give u issues. for my self i got a 3.0 i been out of rc for some time i did pick up a jato 3.3 a few months back but i sold it .I was gona get the 8.0 but its a tad to much for a rc truck.

geepfreek 02-22-2010 05:45 PM

It looks like the beefed up the spur gear mount. But it looks like the rest of the truck (besides the engine) looks the same. Am I on the right track?

redfox03 02-23-2010 03:06 PM

i also think they mainly beefed up the tranny and the spur gear mount. i think it also has bigger wheel hexes too. they also changed the bumpers.

geepfreek 02-23-2010 05:53 PM

How are the stock tires? they look like they will handle nice, more all terrain. Hopefully not as hard as the stock 4.6 tires.

geepfreek 03-02-2010 07:51 PM

I got the truck a few days ago. And this thing is sweet looking. The engine is huge! I didn't realize how big the truck is. Looks like they stretched it from the 4.6. I was kinda disapointed that they didn't installed the rear bumper and tires. Nor did they oil the air filter. What's up with that? Oh well I can't wait til it warms up a bit to break it in. I don't think I get the performance out of an engine when you break them in in the cold.

eighth8ter_2 03-04-2010 07:35 PM

you can run your MGT 8.0 all year round. Just tune the engine accordingly

I sealed my receiver with Liquid Tape too as well as the connections on servos to prevent water damage..Now I rip through snow and puddles with little worry

geepfreek 03-07-2010 04:36 PM

the truck is sweet! until the clutch locked up on the 7th tank. I get to pull it apart and find out what happened tonight.

Can you put a three shoe flywheel on this thing or do you have to use the four shoe set up until you replace the engine??

eighth8ter_2 03-07-2010 06:01 PM

No idea but if it fits...Why not...I myself have my MGT 8.0 transmission all apart on the bench awaiting part # 25025 forward / reverse clutch housing

geepfreek 03-07-2010 08:30 PM

Well one of the clutch springs came off the nut and the shoe shifted out. There was plenty of metal on the spring. So I put it back in the grove, pushed the shoe down and removed a clutch bell shim still no drag on the clutch bell. Checked my slipper and it was completely tight I losened it an 1/8th of a turn. Maybe it was so tight that when I hit a good bump in the field it shocked the clutches.

eighth8ter_2 03-07-2010 08:37 PM

back the spur gear off 1/4 turn..it was put to me once.. 'as long as you can pull a piece of paper through the gears you should be good to go'

geepfreek 03-07-2010 08:47 PM

ok backed it off a full 1/4 paper thing I knew and is set. Is there an upgrade for the body post? Where can you even get them?

eighth8ter_2 03-07-2010 08:58 PM

http://aedownloads.com/downloads/thu.../25137.150.jpgthis.? I just got a pair of them through local hobby shop last week.. the cross piece is fine but the 'posts' snap easy without the body on when it flips on pavement haha

http://67.199.85.166/teamassociated/aehome.php < a link for parts

geepfreek 03-07-2010 09:05 PM

I just found them under the mgt 4.6 at three different places, but if you look up mgt 8.0 body post/mounts; they don't show up. I wonder why stores are not listing them under the 8.0?

CranKitUP 03-08-2010 08:15 AM

When looking for MGT parts just search "Monster GT" or "MGT", cause the .21, 4.6 & 8.0 parts are interchangeable. The .21 is discontinued, the 4.6 is still in production.

C-Mac 03-11-2010 06:23 PM

I have had mine for about 2 years now and love it. The only thing I break are those stupid vertical body post's and I'm jumping it off 30' sand/dirt piles. It's a great basher and IMO I think it's a better basher than the Savage plus it has reverse. I replaced the stock rims and tires for some proline bad lands, which lower the CG and it handles way better in corners. You won't be disappointed

yakfish 03-11-2010 09:17 PM

The MGT is a nice MT. I like it better than my Savage and Tmaxx but the I still like my LST better. the 8.0 is a nasty power house of an engine. I have never had a truck that wheelied so easy. the only thing I don't like is how quickly it goes thru fuel, and it flips over too easybut lowering the center of gravity will help that. Hope you enjoy your noew truck!

geepfreek 03-11-2010 09:28 PM

yeah I had to think if I completely fulled the tank or just put it to half a tank... Nope it was full. lol