Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > Team RCU - Don Szczur
Reload this Page >

In Flight Video- For Coaching

Notices
Team RCU - Don Szczur Ask your questions directly to Don Szczur, proffesional pattern pilot

In Flight Video- For Coaching

Old 04-12-2005, 09:40 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default In Flight Video- For Coaching

I'm going to see if this uploads. Nope- will try to get a link set up.

Very interesting, the upwind wing low, opposite rudder for slip wind-correction. Very interesting in the video.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Don Szczur

Default RE: In Flight Video- For Coaching

A web version of complete flight should be at.

http://www.myuav.info/video/Flying/D...005April12.wmv

It's about 64megs big.... People with high speed internet should have no problem downloading it.

Courtesy of Scott Fuller.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:57 PM
flyintexan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don,

That video is fantastic....very revealing indeed.

-mark
Old 04-13-2005, 06:02 AM
bla bla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could somebody decode that film/file and post it as a Quick time or similar?
Old 04-13-2005, 10:56 AM
typicalaimster

Were you looking for a smaller version of the video or just a QT version of it. A QT version is about 100 megs. The original video was about 3 gigs

--Scott Fuller
Old 04-13-2005, 03:33 PM
PatternFlyer
My Feedback: (182)

Don,
Thank you very much for the video!!

This is first time to see a full length flight.
Amazing!!

Will there be videos for each AMA sequences?

It looks to have two things attached to the side and the bottom of the fuselage other than the camera.
What are they?

How was the camera mounted? at some point of the video it feels like someone is kicking the camera.

I think it would be really good if the plane has electric setup to prevent the vibration of the camera, but THIS SURE IS NICE!

Ihncheol Park
Old 04-13-2005, 09:36 PM
Don Szczur

We taped the camera to the top of the vertical fin. The stuff on the side is the transmitter, switch and battery, also taped to the side of the fuselage. Total time from "hey, I have an idea" to flying was about 10 minutes. I think that included an engine run up and range check. The shuttering is when plane is in corners or knife edge. Think about how much wind is blowing back there during knife edge! The tape worked very well holding it on.

Ideas we have are a maneuver-by-maneuver coaching session, either live (webcast) or on-line subscription to a website. We are in the initial stages of this concept idea. What's the interest level? . The on-board coaching video idea is dramatically different than any other coaching method- video from the ground is difficult to track. I've changed my practice technique already, to incorporate things documented in the video flight.

The video consists of a typical practice flight- P05 sequence and then F05 sequence. I think we could easily do other classes, as well as differing wind conditions. Voice overlay on the video, etc. Thoughts? Marketable product? Donations to a Charity?
Old 04-14-2005, 02:11 AM
PatternFlyer
My Feedback: (182)

Oops, my session timed out and lost the whole thing twice!!.
So, here goes again.

I AM INTERESTED!!
Couple of years ago, I tried video taping some contest rounds of different classes.
While watching those I found a few things.

I could see some corrections by the pilots when I watch the video clips, but no idea about the location of the plane and if it was level or not (you are watching a plane that is about 130 m away in the air from ground).
Having two cameras will be better. One on the plane, the other on the ground preferrably right in front of the pilot. It must be fixed position shorter than the pilot's height.
Then, when editing the video, the on-board image can be inserted to one corner or some place in the screen so that the video shows both images.
Recording manuever by manuever should be good since you can maximize the size of the plane in the video. (the one on the ground stays on the same spot, but can be turned to cover enough air space for manuever in recording.

You may have to build a plane just for this purpose. The On-board camera should be an integrated part so that the wind does not affect its performance. Other gears also should be integrated within the plane. (I am sure you already have these in mind).

For the video, There has to be some kind of guide line drawn in the video or reference lines must be visible so that one can find out if the manuever is performed right or not.
Voice overlaying is good with manuever name captioned at the start of each clips. I prefer to see at least two or three times of same image, but one on standard playing speed, others as still images with some kind of descriptions captioned on the screen. This is a good idea when used as judging certification or training.

Bob Pastorello did a manuever on AFP deluxe. I believe you have seen it also. It is another way of doing because it is easier to work with and cheaper, but not a real plane.

If you can cover entire AMA classes and the FAI sequences by manuever by manuever, you can try contacting AMA and the FAI after producing a good quality video as a marketing possiblity. Contacting those International Judges (FAI certified?) should help also.

If possible use one of those on-board flight recoder showing speed, directions, altitude etc. It will help a lot when the data are added to the video.

For webcasting, subscription can be used, but the price should be very reasonable. Video should also be downloadable for those who can not stream the video. VCD, DVD, or just standard Windows video files must be available to those subscribers who can not even try downloading the large video files.

I have DSL, but high quality video streaming is not always good even with 1.2Mbps depending on web traffic and others. Thus, streaming video should be at reasonable quality.

Well, I don't remember what I wrote before this, but the above should cover what I like to see.

Sorry about bunch of mumbling.

Hope to see more videos and progresses in your works.

Thank you,

Ihncheol Park
Old 04-15-2005, 03:21 AM
bla bla

That was great!
Got to say Mr Szczur , out of all the so called celebrety pilots featured on the site, you are the man who consistantly comes up with the goodies.
Your attitude toward sharing your inside knowledge with the masses is exemplary! Sending people your mixed, your trim details etc etc... what can you say.
Your a good man, an example to us all.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:22 PM
Don Szczur

Here is the link for the first two maneuvers in P05. See my "First Day of the 2005 Season" for details on these maneuvers. The video coaching technique has altered my practice approach with respect to corrections in the corners (radius).

Here's the link...

http://www.myuav.info/video/Flying/P...egsnapdown.wmv

Of particular interest is the aileron inputs during the stall turn. I corrected somewhat for either torque on the engine as I throttled up to do the turn, or over-corrected using that aileron. It seemed to come around very clean from the ground perspective. I just never realized I was putting that much aileron in during the turn.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:53 AM
Arthur_GA
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a fantastic thread!

I was wondering if anyone has or knows of a Sportsman / Intermediate class schedule video?
Old 08-20-2005, 11:38 AM
Don Szczur

After re-looking at this video, I realize now how much that it helped my scores tremendously during the 2005 NATS. For example, the two of 4 opposite 2 of 4 (third maneuver in the first sequence), I did not realize my wings were that far off duing point 2 and 3.

Also at the bottom of the square loop, not realizing the wings were that far off on the last two of four and exit. I modified the way I flew the maneuver by putting the exact same net effect correction in (some down elevator during the knife-edge part of the 2 of 4) which brought the plane out the same amount to give room at the edge of the box for the half reverse cuban 8 with full roll.

Technical stuff, but it really helped in the results at the NATS. My P05 sequences consistently scored very high throughout the preliminaries.

The cross wind corrections also were very evident throughout the flight. upwind wing was consistently about 5 to 7 degrees low, with opposite rudder (to keep the fuselage straight). This technique worked very effectively with the Focus II. The Brio on the other hand has a different wind correction technique, since it tends to correct more naturally with the yaw, I found myself putting rudder in during the radius portions rather than moving the "upwind wing low" technique during radius segments for the FOCUS II.

Don
Old 09-07-2005, 09:02 AM
jonlowe
My Feedback: (12)

Don,
This whole site seems to be down, and I've tried several times over the last couple of days. Is this permanent?

Coming to Huntsville anytime soon?

Jon Lowe

ORIGINAL: Don Szczur

Here is the link for the first two maneuvers in P05. See my "First Day of the 2005 Season" for details on these maneuvers. The video coaching technique has altered my practice approach with respect to corrections in the corners (radius).

Here's the link...

http://www.myuav.info/video/Flying/P...egsnapdown.wmv

Of particular interest is the aileron inputs during the stall turn. I corrected somewhat for either torque on the engine as I throttled up to do the turn, or over-corrected using that aileron. It seemed to come around very clean from the ground perspective. I just never realized I was putting that much aileron in during the turn.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Don Szczur

I don't seem to be able to link in either. I'll give it a couple days and then send a note to Scott. It is a big file...

Hope to make it back to Huntsville in the future. Will drop you a note if I make it in.

Don
Old 09-12-2005, 01:20 PM
jonlowe
My Feedback: (12)

Hmmmm, now it is showing that his domain name expired! Oh well...

Jon Lowe
Old 09-14-2005, 10:14 PM
Don Szczur

I've got the mega sized file if you want it I can try e-mailing it to you

Let me know a good address that has large capacity attachments.

Don
Old 10-22-2005, 03:10 AM
typicalaimster

Updated links are as follows...

http://www.myuav.com/video/Flying/Do...005April12.wmv

http://www.myuav.com/video/Flying/P0...egsnapdown.wmv

Old 12-07-2005, 11:12 AM
typicalaimster

Hey everyone. This video is still going on strong. Last mont there was about 50 downloads. To help speed up download times I've made a copy to the new Video Google Beta. This will help speed things up a bit!

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Don+Szczur

--Scott Fuller
Old 12-07-2005, 01:36 PM
Don Szczur

Scott, thanks very much. About how many downloads total on these videos since you put them up?

Thanks,

Don
Old 12-07-2005, 02:04 PM
typicalaimster

When the videos were released they had hits in the 100's. Now the videos are an average of 50 a month.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:41 AM
NJRCFLYER2
My Feedback: (42)

Hi Don. Can you share the make/model of the camera setup? How much does it weigh roughly?