Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > Team RCU - Don Szczur
Reload this Page >

Magnum DZ fuel

Notices
Team RCU - Don Szczur Ask your questions directly to Don Szczur, proffesional pattern pilot

Magnum DZ fuel

Old 05-04-2006, 08:27 PM
riot3d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum DZ fuel

Don,

I have been using Magnum DZ fuel for both my 140 and 160 DZ for about 1-1/2 years now, and have had trouble with carbon forming at the valves. After about 40 flights, the engine will run slower and slower, and eventually, I had to send it to Verano for decarbonization.

According to Buzz at Magnum, he isolated the problem last year, and changed one of the addictives. The engine ran fine for a while, but started to develop the same symptoms again. Verano have just repaired a 160 for me and mentioned there were carbons on the valves again.

I understand you are also using the same fuel, hav eyou notice any problem?

Thanks in advnace,

Adrian
Old 05-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Magnum DZ fuel

Adrian,

I run mine rich. Of course one would think that would make it worse, rather than better. But perhaps it keeps the engine running cooler. Don't know. I took my engine out a couple weeks ago. It had been in the plane since last June. I probably had about 20 gallons through it (180 flights). I did notice a few good size pieces of carbon in the header cap (Central Hobbies) but after chipping away some they came out and I was able to put the chuck in and take the header off. Did not notice any carbon build up inside the combustion chamber, nor any real power loss (or power difference when I put my fresh 160 in).

Don
Old 05-08-2006, 10:28 PM
riot3d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Magnum DZ fuel

Don,

Thanks for reply.

I sure hope I can fix the on going problem, I'm tired of sending engines to Verano every 50 flights.

Adrian