Notices
Team RCU - Don Szczur Ask your questions directly to Don Szczur, proffesional pattern pilot

electrics

Old 07-23-2006, 02:59 PM
Gregg G
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrics

Hey Don,

Given the different weather conditions for the week. How do you feel you stacked up with the electrics. Congrats on the finish.

Greg Grigsby
Old 07-23-2006, 09:59 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: electrics

Greg,

Neutral. I was concerned about the smoke trail on the power plane but I actually think it made the plane look smoother this last week. I did not perceive any negative. Likewise, the electrics (QQ's, Chip's, Jason's, and Dave L's were the ones I observed the most) did not have any power issue in the wind. Their planes performed well.

I really like the 170 throttle feel, especially around idle to 1/3 throttle. It's really smooth and responsive, but not torque-y like the 1.4 and 1.6. It is a low compression piston.

I ran the engine at 60% throttle ATV limited on 30% nitro. Sean ran close to full throttle ATV but used a carb restrictor with 20% nitro. I found that although the noise db was the primary factor for dialing down the ATV, I was flying out too far and making too large of maneuvers given the power that was available. Maybe a 5 blade prop is the answer.

Since it appears that the Japanese and French will continue to use YS at the Worlds next year, it's a motivation for several US F3A top-level competitors to move back into glow. Right now my plan is to stay with YS.

Another item of interest that I saw something that I thought not possible- two electric "dead sticks" last week. One was battery and one was a motor issue during flights. I think these were more learning curve items (all but 5 of the F3A pilots were running electric).

Don