Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > Team RCU - Don Szczur
Reload this Page >

quatering crosswind Corrections

Notices
Team RCU - Don Szczur Ask your questions directly to Don Szczur, proffesional pattern pilot

quatering crosswind Corrections

Old 01-31-2007, 12:13 PM
KGSS28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quatering crosswind Corrections

Hay Don; I have read lots of your tips and trimming articals here and in other places . Would you talk about the quartering crosswind correction in just some basic manuvers like stall turn , loops, 1/2 reverse cuban etc. This always gives me fits. I have made great progress in flying and trimming thanks to your articals .

Thanks for your time , by the way Everette Carpenter says hello.

Thanks Kirk
Old 01-31-2007, 10:08 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: quatering crosswind Corrections

Hartsville was the first leg of my solo cross country. Well, maybe it was Crossville. Tell Everette to get out on the circuit for a body count... maybe see him at at a contest in the future.

Quartering cross wind. Always go to the edge of the box. If its blowing in, the corner of your box before pull up should be 175 meters out. Of course you set this up on the other end of the box, two maneuvers previous. A 5 degree heading into the wind will put you at 25 meters out at the other edge of the box for your stall turn. When you come down you will magically be at 150 meters while every one else that started at 150 out will be at 140 or less and busting the box, jamming rudder in the radius to get them crabbed into the wind. Remember that 5 degree heading check on the other side of the box to take you out? They guys who pull up at 150 and come down at 140 will have to make a 15 degree or more heading correction to take them back out to 150 meters by mid-box (in addition to the normal wind correction angle). In a crosswind things get additive in a hurry.

I can apply this to F3A Unknowns where one is sometimes thinking of the maneuver in, or during, not two maneuvers ahead. Thats why its so important to lay out your flight before you take off. Think about wind adjustments two maneuvers in advance. You have to practice a lot to learn to do this, but take a few minutes before and after each flight to assess what you did and then correct as needed on your next practice flight.

Now for a cross wind hammer, you always want to slip on the upline. You head into the wind with fast speed at the start of the pull up and add rudder to straighten the fuselage. This works up to 7 mph cross wind- That would be a 15 mph quartering wind. Past that, good luck- just try to keep the energy up. That is where glow has a big advantage over electric. Now as the plane comes to the top of the line for the stall turn you release the rudder (the nose will then go into the wind with respect to the ground) and then put rudder in and hold if needed to straighten after the stall turn. Again, if its over 7 MPH cross you still have to cock into the wind, but normally the wind will not be that hard, even those who say its blowing 20 - it really only blows 12 to 15 max. That translates to a 6 to 7 crosswind component. In 2003 and 2004 people used to be perplexed at how the plane looks like its flying in no wind at all. The secret is higher energy (managment) and correct rudder inputs to minimize crab angle. It was Bruce Underwood and Don Kidd who used to say "engines eat wind". Very accurate statement (assuming you are not underpowered). By the way I've never flown a plane that was overpowered.

Do the same on a half reverse cuban. You have to use the rudder after the half roll to straighten the fuselage with respect to the gound. Otherwise the plane weather vanes into the wind during the pull at the top, which actually takes you downwind (with the cross wind) at the bottom of the 5/8 loop. Very evident with lower-powered models in particular.

My thoughts,
Don
Old 02-01-2007, 08:50 PM
KGSS28

Thanks Don: Everette and I are planning a big season this year, it looks like we can go to at least one a month all summer and not have to really drive far at all. We would love to see you at a contest . What district are you in ? We might be up for a big road trip.

Thanks for all the tips we always have a crosswind if not a quarting crosswind at our field.

Thanks again for all your time.

Kirk

PS must have been Crossville we dont have an airport.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:04 PM
Don Szczur

I've got a video that discusses all wind corrections in a quartering cross wind. flying techniques, etc. If there is interest out there, I'll publish it.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:02 AM
KGSS28

Yes please publish it.

Thanks Kirk
Old 02-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Don Szczur

My wife has given me permission. Send me a PM if you are interested in a VHS copy. I'm in the process of getting it edited into a DVD version at some point in the future may offer that to those interested.

Don