Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > Team RCU - Don Szczur
Reload this Page >

Aerobatics Video II

Community
Search
Notices
Team RCU - Don Szczur Ask your questions directly to Don Szczur, proffesional pattern pilot

Aerobatics Video II

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Aerobatics Video II

For example, if you set up your DX6i with one aileron control (either use a y harness or a matchbox for the ailerons) then go to the heli mode. This will give you throttle curve to adjust a linear feel on the engine. Also if you go to REVO MIX, it will enable you to mix your throttle to rudder to mix a little bit of right rudder on an up line and a little bit of left rudder on a down line. Finally, if your spin entry is a little off (if it wants to break one way or the other unexpectedly on a spin entry) you can use the "stunt" switch to give you a bit or rudder input at low throttle. For example, it will negate the left rudder down line mix so the plane does not break to the left on a spin entry. You hit the switch to stunt for a spin entry.

However, but sure to set all the defaults where you want them for the heli mode. For example the stunt throttle curve should be set to match your NORM throttle curve, and be aware that if you hit the "hold" switch in the air your motor will go to idle or quit (back right switch). This is OK if you just use that switch as your "engine kill" switch.

This demonstrates that there are more capabilties in this DX6i radio as you explore. Use the MONITOR mode to see the effects.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:19 PM
skyrip69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don,
I can see by your cut and pasting that I should have read the site and the info they have sorry about that but, The manual is so extremely straight forward they don't really expand on what you would do with the options, and why they have the options they have,,. I have been flying JR for over 15 years but havn't really had a need to use mixing until I just signed up for IMAC. I have always flown on high rates and did the mixing in my head cause I have been too dang lazy to just spend a day setting it up at the field. Now I suddenly am way into it and flying clean lines.. So many people at our field are torque rolling and hovering little planes all ofer the runway. I am getting sick of "house fly aerobatics"

I want to learn to fly smooth

Thanks for your time..

Todd

Old 11-14-2009, 10:25 PM
skyrip69

ORIGINAL: Don Szczur

For example, if you set up your DX6i with one aileron control (either use a y harness or a matchbox for the ailerons) then go to the heli mode. This will give you throttle curve to adjust a linear feel on the engine. Also if you go to REVO MIX, it will enable you to mix your throttle to rudder to mix a little bit of right rudder on an up line and a little bit of left rudder on a down line. Finally, if your spin entry is a little off (if it wants to break one way or the other unexpectedly on a spin entry) you can use the ''stunt'' switch to give you a bit or rudder input at low throttle. For example, it will negate the left rudder down line mix so the plane does not break to the left on a spin entry. You hit the switch to stunt for a spin entry.

However, but sure to set all the defaults where you want them for the heli mode. For example the stunt throttle curve should be set to match your NORM throttle curve, and be aware that if you hit the ''hold'' switch in the air your motor will go to idle or quit (back right switch). This is OK if you just use that switch as your ''engine kill'' switch.

This demonstrates that there are more capabilties in this DX6i radio as you explore. Use the MONITOR mode to see the effects.

I just got this post after the previous post,,Dude! you are a rocket scientist! That is so dang clever..holy crap,,.Heli mode! rudder to throttle,,,rediculously clever......wish you flew in Vegas!

Todd
Old 10-19-2010, 09:06 PM
tele1974

Hello Don,
Thank you for the video. 
I have a question about mixing.  My first question is: Do you have any positive incidence on your main wing?  It seems a lot of the newer planes now have the main wing set at zero degrees.  I think Hanger 9 is the only ARF company that I know of that still puts a little positive incidence in the main wing.  Do the large IMAC have any positive incidence?

If .5 degrees to 1.0 degrees of positive incidence was on the a main wing, wouldn't that eliminate the need for a down elevator/throttle mix on down line?.  If their is zero incidence on the main wing the elevator would have to carry some up in order to keep the main wing at a positive angle of attack to maintain level flight.  I think this is what causes the pitching toward the canopy during a down line.  The pitch also increases as the speed increases on the down line.  Plus, 0.5 degrees of positive incidence on the main wing really is not going to affect the down line that much.

Right elevator knife edge pitch coupling should also be less.  I know that's primary due to P-Factor.  But it should change slightly.

Do you trim out level rudder only turns? I have found that in my plane that it is different than the knife edge trim.  My model tends to roll in the direction of the rudder and pitch toward the gear in both right and left turns.  What is up with that?

Anyway, that's all for know.   I how your still checking this thread.  Loved the video.  Thank you very much.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Don Szczur

Thanks for the question- the Radiowave Extra is set at the stock position. I trim rudder during knife edge only. Since there are no extreme maneuvers in the known sequences I only put enough mix in for 3 seconds of knife edge. For 3D I use multi-point mixes if needed, but not on this plane its pretty honest with the wing placement as such.

Regards,
Don
Old 11-23-2010, 09:47 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, this is an old thread but i've just watched the preview vid on the web site... Don, you need a new preview film.That one doesn't say, tell, demonstratight anything. Just a merge of graphics, images set to grim music. How long is each video? OK, so you could do a 5min preview easily, give us a taste of what's in there.Hope the sales are going great, I could buy one but I need to know, see, hear more. Don't just wet my appetite... I may wonder somewhere else to eat.Give me the first course... them I'm ready for the other 4!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Don Szczur

We've done all the raw video shots. Awaiting on the video producer to do his magic.... Hope to report something over the winter or Spring.