Community
Search
Notices
TEAM RCU - Mike McConville Ask expert Team RCU pilot Mike McConville questions in this forum.

battery pack

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 02:03 PM
J roc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery pack

Reading the manuals for the sukhoi and cap (1/3 scale) Instructions show a single 1100 ma battery pack being used. Isn't this a little small for these planes. What are your thoughts on single vs redundant batteries using a single receiver? I plan on using 2 5 cell nimh batteries and one receiver. All coreless non-digital servos. Im sure you've been asked a million times. thanks.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:09 AM
Marcus763

Default RE: battery pack

I'm also looking into batteries for my H9 33% Edge. I'm new to models this large so doing a little research myself. I'll be using 10 servos, 8 of them digital on the flying surfaces.
I'm considering running 2 6volt packs through a gadget, sold here in the UK from S M Services that lets you plug 2 batteries into the receiver, it uses one battery and constantly
monitors the state of both packs, and will switch to the other pack should the first develop any problems. Marcus
Old 09-07-2004, 09:26 AM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

My preference is to use a simple single battery/switch into a single rx on a 33% model. The extra weight of a redundant system is more than I care to add to a plane that size.
As of late I'm using either a 2700Mah Nimh pack or a 4000mAh li-on pck (Duralite). My Edge has the Duralite in it.

My 40% models use a single rx with redundant packs (2 x 4000 mAh Duralites/2 switches) simply plugged into 2 open ports in the rx.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:20 PM
Marcus763

Mike, I know you use JR gear, do you use digital servos in your 33% models and what voltage are your batteries ? I've ordered my servo's (Futaba digital's 6volt) so I'm guessing they'll drain the batteries faster than standard 4.8volt servo's.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:40 AM
MMcConville

YesI use Digital servos in any model where I'm looking for the best, most precise performance. I always use 6V as well unless its a slow (not aerobatic) model.

Typically I use a Duralite battery which is 7.4 V and a 6V regulator. Though I'm not real familiar with the Futaba gear, in general yes 6V systems will drain faster than 4.8V and digital faster than analog.
I goos digital ESV with a 1A load is a very good thing to have in your flight box.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:23 PM
egris52788

Mike,

Is it safe then to use two redundant 6 volt 1400 mha nimh packs redundant with two switches in separate ports on the receiver without a voltage regulator?

thanks, Ed Grissom
Old 09-22-2004, 09:00 AM
MMcConville

yes