Notices
TEAM RCU - Mike McConville Ask expert Team RCU pilot Mike McConville questions in this forum.

H9 ARFs vs KITS

Old 09-29-2004, 03:52 PM
Buzzard Dave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 ARFs vs KITS

Mike, i've been a scratch and kit builder for years - never would build an ARF. a couple years ago i finally broke down and bought the H9 Cap 232 33%. I was really impressed. About a year ago I bought a second ARF from a competitor and this summer bought the Funtana (90 size). I've been really impressed with these 3 planes.

In spite of the fact that i really like your planes...i'm just really missing the full building experience. I also really don't like having a plane that looks exactly like someone else's at the field. Also, i really do believe you all are missing a marketing opportunity.

What possibility is there of getting some of the H9 ARFs in some other format? Plans would be most excellent, or "short kit", or full kit, or at least ARC.

I'm itchin to build something new and gotta find a fix!!

David S. - Tampa, FL
Old 09-29-2004, 04:55 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Default RE: H9 ARFs vs KITS

David,

I have asked this question many times with different manufacturers.... They all say NO CHANCE. They say this only because it is too time consuming to work up an instruction manual. I say.... FORGET the instruction manual. They had to have plans when they designed the plane. Just send the kit and the plans and I would be a happy camper.........I haven't gotten any of them to bite on the idea. SURE WOULD BE NICE THOUGH
Old 09-30-2004, 01:16 PM
Buzzard Dave

Captain....that's exactly right. i would love to get (even without the plans) just a set of the wood formers, sides and ribs from a H9 33% Edge, Cap, Extra or Su. or just a set of the cut wood from the Funtana 90.

it'd be great!!

David
Old 09-30-2004, 10:13 PM
rcav8or
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: CAPtain232

David,

I have asked this question many times with different manufacturers.... They all say NO CHANCE. They say this only because it is too time consuming to work up an instruction manual.
Hey, Jeff, how'ya doin'?

I would be more inclined to believe it's because the actual laser cutting of the kit from cad plans, etc, done overseas, would not change the price very much, since the equipment used is going to cost pretty much the same everywhere. Sure, there'd be a LITTLE savings since the help is a little cheaper, but it's probably surpassed by the transportation cost to the US. However, the construction of the ARF, by MUCH lower paid labor, is where the profit is!

Lessee...I can get a kit cut here for $100, there for $90...have it put together by Americans for $300, sell it for $500, and make $100...or have it put together over there for $100, sell it for $450, and make $260....

No brainer.........

R