Notices
TEAM RCU - Mike McConville Ask expert Team RCU pilot Mike McConville questions in this forum.

My Suk. RIP

Old 10-05-2004, 07:31 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Suk. RIP

Hi Mike,

Just wanted to share a pic of my Suk crash today. I had over 250 great flights on this airplane with my ZDZ 80. Alot of very high stress 3d stuff but, I finally got bitten by the dreaded "Parachute". I had done it and the "wall" many times before but, this time after the drop, when I pulled on the elevator and powered up a bit to stop the descent the right wing panel had enough and folded up on me about 40 feet off the ground.

Mike , thanks for designing a great plane, Ive had a ball with it the last two years, my only regret (besides that last parachute) is not being able to get another one[] So, I just bought the new H9 Edge Hopefully , that will be just as much fun!

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81551.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	315.3 KB
ID:	179689  
Old 10-05-2004, 08:27 AM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: My Suk. RIP

Ouch! Sorry to see that. Guess any airframs will eventually fail though if you do continuous very high stress maneuvers. Hope ou like the Edge. I think you will.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:34 AM
3D ONdaEDGE

Did you lose anything besides the airframe. Where the servos and reciever and engine in good shape. sorry to hear about your loss. Maybe I should check mine out before I do anymore stuff like that. I also that you mike for designing a great plane. I have flown a few differnt 1/3 scale and the Sukhoi will spoil you a little.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:49 PM
luv2flyrc

All the radio stuff is ok, receiver was well rapped in foam. All 3 battery packs were destroyed even though they too were in foam. The engine survived without damage, The 4 1/4" Truturn was crushed, The 26x10 menz didn't actually break but, the spinner cut right into it, so it's no good.

Keep an eye on your wing panels for any flex up and down

I believe what happened on mine after examing the the wing that folded is that the glue joint on the shear webs let go ( there wasn't much glue on them to begin with). The wing has "I" beam constuction which reduces the area cf contact between the spar and shear web as compared to a conventional D tube. So , the shear web joint let go and allowed the two spars to move independantly of each other and the top spar broke. All the ribs in the area popped cleanly off the bottom sheeting and went with the top half of the wing.

Mike
Old 10-06-2004, 03:38 PM
mAvRiCk-inactive

That sucks I am sorry for your loss! I love rthe way them Sukhois fly too! God bless you man! 250 flights is a lot so you got oyur moneys worth!
Old 10-06-2004, 09:00 PM
luv2flyrc

Thanks Mav. yes, I think I definately got my money's worth out of it.

I have a question for Mike Mc. if he's still following this,

Mike, why do u choose to use a built up wing over a foam one on the large H9 planes?

Seems that most of the large plane manufacturers go foam. I have a couple of Carden's and as u know they're all foam parts too.

I think built up can be lighter but, at the risk of an eventual failure like mine. Just pondering the reasons behind it?

Mike
Old 10-07-2004, 09:20 AM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

The primary reason for the wood wings is it is a strength of the mfg we work with to produce the airplanes. Wood wings are easier to produce in larger quantities as well. I tend to avoid the term "mass produce" here because the large airplanes, while produced in good size quantities, more care is taken than a typical mass production.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:52 PM
luv2flyrc

Thanks Mike!
Old 10-08-2004, 03:40 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

The seems disconcerting to me as I have just ordered an Edge... am I to replace the wings every 200 flights if I do not want to lose $500 in batteries, spinner, prop, and electronics? More if the wing had folded at a greater altitude!!! Not to mention the airframe? 200 flights is only 16 weeks for anyone somewhat into IMAC competition!!!

How many other wings have folded in the Hanger 9 ARF's and what will Hanger 9 do if one folds under normal advertised use (i.e. not using a DA-100)?

I don't think you got your money's worth... 1,000 flights MAYBE. I guess I'll be tearing the covering off mine to make sure it's built correctly. What a crying shame.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:59 AM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

OK Mike...

I was out flying today. A friend of mine that has the SUK was there as well. He has had it for a year maybe a year and a half. Zenoah GT80 and he is no 3D pilot. Today was maybe his 12th flight with the plane. Flying straight and level at a decent speed (not fast) he pulled into a verticle line pretty quickly. We heard a "pop" and he immediate came in so we could check it out. We could not find anything wrong just by looking. I suggested it could have been the wing (even though I did not think the manuever was that violent) and that he should grab the right wing tip and I the left so we could lift the plane. Before the wheels ever left the ground, the wing had a very noticeable amount of flex in it near the end of the wing tube and also at the root of the aileron.......

My personal opinion is that he had a MILD wing failure and was very fortunate that it didn't come apart. What do you think? Have there been very many issues with the wings on the SUK?
Old 10-10-2004, 04:58 AM
Randy Brown

Boy that sucks Mike

Can I have your good parts

Randy

ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

Hi Mike,

Just wanted to share a pic of my Suk crash today. I had over 250 great flights on this airplane with my ZDZ 80. Alot of very high stress 3d stuff but, I finally got bitten by the dreaded "Parachute". I had done it and the "wall" many times before but, this time after the drop, when I pulled on the elevator and powered up a bit to stop the descent the right wing panel had enough and folded up on me about 40 feet off the ground.

Mike , thanks for designing a great plane, Ive had a ball with it the last two years, my only regret (besides that last parachute) is not being able to get another one[] So, I just bought the new H9 Edge Hopefully , that will be just as much fun!

Mike
Old 10-10-2004, 05:08 AM
Randy Brown

It don;t matter what is being built..there is always one bad one of anything weather its a Model. Your TV set. Car etc etc.

But in most cases I find of hearing people lossing there airplanes to structor damages is not the airplanes fault..its comes all down to how you treated your Aircraft.. Weather its a ARF or something you built. your only going to abuse it so much until the high mattence factor kicks in

I have 2 years of ALOT of flights on my DA 100 powered Suk and its still in one peace. And I myself even questioned the wings at first over balsa bits floating around when I first got it..just Ask mike about my emails

I hope I have as much fun with my new airplane thats on the workbench that I had with my SUK

Randy
Old 10-10-2004, 07:41 AM
luv2flyrc

Hey Randy,

Thanks for the sympathy

The only surviving good parts are the left wing panel and left stab/elevator. You're welcome to them if u want

CAPtain 232 , You need to open that wing up, I can almost guarantee u that u have the same failure as me. The shear webs have separated from one of the main spars.

Mike

ORIGINAL: Randy Brown

Boy that sucks Mike

Randy

Hi Mike,

Mike
Old 10-10-2004, 04:20 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

What's the best adhesive to re-glue the shear webbing to the spars with (one that won't eat the existing glue). I'm no longer confident in the wing structure.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:35 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

luv2flyrc,

It isn't my plane, it belongs to a friend. The way I see it, he shouldn't even touch it. Just send it in to have HORIZON look at it and HOPEFULLY replace. But I do think the sound that we heard and the flex in the wing is a wing failure.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:33 AM
Randy Brown

I would be glad to take the stab/elevator off your hand and rudder if tthe rudder is all in one peace

You coming on Sunday to the London Swap???

Hey Randy,

Thanks for the sympathy

The only surviving good parts are the left wing panel and left stab/elevator. You're welcome to them if u want

CAPtain 232 , You need to open that wing up, I can almost guarantee u that u have the same failure as me. The shear webs have separated from one of the main spars.

Mike

ORIGINAL: Randy Brown

Boy that sucks Mike

Randy

Hi Mike,

Mike
Old 10-11-2004, 06:58 AM
luv2flyrc

Hi Randy,

The rudder is OK too, I don't think I'll be coming out to London swap but, if u know someone else from the Mississauga area that is, they can bring it out for u.

Mike
Old 10-12-2004, 07:56 PM
Randy Brown

Mike ..I forget your last name?

Randy
Old 10-12-2004, 08:29 PM
luv2flyrc

Randy

It's Mike Block

If Steve J or Bob H are coming out to London, i can easily drop the parts off at one of their houses,
those fellows live right around the corner from me. Or anyone else close by.

Mike