Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > TEAM RCU - Mike McConville
Reload this Page >

H9 Sukhoi Motorbox

Notices
TEAM RCU - Mike McConville Ask expert Team RCU pilot Mike McConville questions in this forum.

H9 Sukhoi Motorbox

Old 02-19-2005, 11:22 AM
14th_Reaper
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 Sukhoi Motorbox

Mike,

Thank you and the staff at Horizon Hobby for getting the replacement fuse out for my Sukhoi. Talk about good, fast, and friendly service.

My question relates to the Sukhoi firewall and ZDZ 100 NG. I understand voiding the warranty, throttle management so forth and so on. I looked very closely at the H9 Extra Review here on RCU that has the ZDZ 100 NG for power. Do you think cutting a hole that large in the front of the motor box will present any problems? The ZDZ with the rear mounted carb seems to require a rather large cutout in order to get the carb inside so you can work with the linkage. The other option I have is to use 2ΒΌ" standoffs to mount the engine, keeping the carb out of the box, no cutout needed. But it leaves 1" more of the prop hub outside of the cowl. What would your suggestions be?
Old 02-19-2005, 11:56 AM
DERF-54
My Feedback: (48)

Default RE: H9 Sukhoi Motorbox

Sorry I am not mike , but I would try to make the opening in the firewall as small as possible. I have this plane with a DA 100 and I love it! How far out of the cowl will the prop hub be if you just use stand offs? This can also help you out as for cg issues. My plane is 25lbs with the DA and the cg is right on the money with no added balast. I also have a pull pull setup for the rudder.
Fred
Old 02-19-2005, 12:09 PM
14th_Reaper

If I use the 2ΒΌ" standoffs, the prop hub will stick out 1" past the cowl lip. Firewall to backplate distance will be 8ΒΌ". That would mean the only drilling into the motorbox would be for throttle and choke linkage. By going with the 100 NG and pull pull on the rudder, I hope to alleviate any need for adding ballast for balance plus an increase in power.

Did you do anything to strengthen your motorbox or is it stock?
Old 02-19-2005, 01:33 PM
DERF-54
My Feedback: (48)

No I did not change the firewall on my plane. The only changes as far as the plane it self was to remove the sheeting on the belly and add cross bracing for the extra power. I also made a new former to mount my tank on the cg. If you want send me your email address and I can send you some pics of my plane when I built it. I had allot of shipping damage so I stripped the whole plane to redo it.
Fred [email protected]
Old 02-19-2005, 02:46 PM
14th_Reaper

Here are some pics of the engine installed with standoffs to keep the carb outside the firewall. No big hole cut at all.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19341.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	231608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49406.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	231609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45240.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	231610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35152.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	231611  
Old 02-20-2005, 12:44 PM
3D ONdaEDGE

Well the full scale sukhoi does have quite a bit of gap between the cowl and spinner. I know that for the 3W 106 that you have to have a offset spinner because the engine is quite a bit longer that all the other 100s. What I mean is that if you mounted the 106 on you sukhoi, it would probably look the same as the pics you got of your ZDZ 100. Basically, I dont know how they work, but you might look into one of those spinners. I might help the looks a little.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:45 AM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

I cant say fior sure as I havent tried the ZDZ 100. I did have to make a large cutout in the f'wall to mount a ZDZ80 in th e 33% models though. On one of them, cant remember if it was the Suk or Extra, I cut the f'wall into a U shape to clear the carb on the 80. Never had any problems.

If you were concerned about doing this, perhaps a simple solution would be to shorten the motor box (move the F'wall back), and use longer stand-offs to mount the engine. That way you could keep the carb in front of the f'wall and still keep the prop in the right place.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Interesting, How close can you mount the carb opening to the firewall before it becomes a problem with getting air to the engine?
Old 02-21-2005, 04:35 PM
14th_Reaper

Interesting question geist ...

The butterfly openening in the carb opens up to the stock hole cut into the firewall.

Thanks for the reply Mike. I will probably just run it as is with the longer standoffs unless balance becomes a problem.