Notices
TEAM RCU - Mike McConville Ask expert Team RCU pilot Mike McConville questions in this forum.

JR radio

Old 03-09-2005, 07:56 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR radio

Mike,

Does JR have any new radios in the works to compete with Futaba's 14MZ.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:35 AM
mc3854
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: JR radio

I don't have any information to share on any new systems in the works. There are no immediate plans for any new systems.

Thanks!
Danny Snyder
Team JR
Horizon Hobby
Product Support Technical Manager
[email protected]
Old 03-10-2005, 12:05 PM
50%plane

Thanks. I will buy the 14mz then.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:19 PM
Marcus763

I started out with JR years ago, then switched to Futaba and haven't looked back. I use the 9ZAP at the moment and will upgrade to the 14MZ very soon.

The 9ZAP is a great radio, and the 14MZ looks awesome. JR has a lot of catching up to do not only with radio, but also support, which is very poor from Macgregor's here in the UK.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:20 PM
P-51B

So, no chance of the MX 22 making it here? []

http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_mod...upner_mx22.htm
Old 03-10-2005, 08:24 PM
50%plane

Marcus763,
I am currently flying the 9C, but have been looking into JR because of all that Mike has said.
When the 14MZ came out I decided that my 9C was very basic, but compared to JR's 10x they almost equal. If JR rushes something in the next month that blows the socks off of Futaba I will consider it.

( are you listening JR)
Old 03-10-2005, 10:34 PM
ciur

Hello guys, I've got a Problem. My uncle gave me as a present an old JR XF622, which is fine for what I do and Fly (I live in Mexico) nevertheless, I left it turned on and the battery discharged completely. I tried to charge it wit my JR charger (I know the pin is inverted) and the LCD won't turn on, not even the ON bip will sound. I was told it was sent to the factory some, 3 months ago. Nevertheless I'm worried because in my residential zone, there have been being several voltage variations (Peaks, and transitories) because of a new building. Though I know the charger eliminates the electric noise. Can anyone give me a hint of what to do? Could it be only the fuse, or does it sounds serious?

Regards
Old 03-11-2005, 06:48 AM
50%plane

ciur,

(1) Move LEGALLY to the U.S.A. It's the greatest country in the world.
(2) After the move, try the wall charger with a different battery of the same voltage with some charge to it. If that doesn't work your charger is dead. If it works then your (origional) battery is dead beyond charge.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:18 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Ciur

The voltage spikes should not have damaged anything. What I suggest is to remove the battery pack from the TX and check the voltage with a voltmeter. You can also check the voltage on the charger.

I suspect that after the pack was run down the charger that you are using does not charge the pack. If you don't know enough about the electronics involved, take the battery pack and the charger to a TV repair shop. Ask them to test it for you.

Hope this helps. Don't give up.

Safe Flying!
Old 03-11-2005, 10:11 AM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

On the 622, I suspect that the fuse in the TX blew. Pewrhaps because of the voltage issue. Its pretty easy tp replace the fuse, though I dont know if a replacement is readilt available in Mexico or not. In the states, Radio shack sells them.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:17 AM
MMcConville

Ciur, What part of mexico to you live in?
Old 03-11-2005, 10:28 AM
MMcConville

To the question of JR doing a new radio like the 14MZ, and comparing the 9C to the 10X. First the 9C vs. 10X feature for feature, I dont think they are close to equal.

What features of the 14MZ above the 10X do you think are needed?

Not to sound like an add, and I know my opinion on this will be taken as tainted, but IMHO, JR's feel and proven reliability are two very significant features that set it above.

Some day JR will of course release a new system, until then I'll just keep flying my 10X and carry a walkman if I want to listed to music when I fly.

Its kinda funny but in all honesty I've started to use the JR 9303 in almost every model I fly. I still use the 10X in my 40% competition models, but the 9303 has a great feel, same gimbals as the 10X and almost as many features. With all of my test models and foamies the 30 model memory is nice, and I can keep from putting all of that air time on my competition 10X tx.

Guess the question is how much as you willing to pay for "new" technology, and at the end of the day is your flying experience better or your flying quality imporved because of the technology?
Old 03-11-2005, 10:39 AM
rjklein
My Feedback: (1)

I was intrigued by the new futaba radio, but lost interest when I found out it was powered by MS. What happens when windows crashes while you are flying? I have a windows powered smart phone, and for the most part it works well, but it does have a mind of its own, and will lock up on me during calls. I am a big fan of KEEP IT STUPID KEEP IT SIMPLE. The 10X is a great radio, and it would be next to impossible to get me to switch.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:46 AM
MMcConville

Of course I dont have a 14MZ, I have played with it a little. My understanding of the MS operating system is that it is indepentant of the transmission. So if windows does lock up the radio keeps working, you just wouldnt be able to access any of the programming.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:52 AM
rjklein

That is good news, but upgradabilty I think would always be a problem not to mention that if something goes wrong. So this is a funny thought you get to the field unpack all your planes, but can not fly becuse your " IT " guy is late[&o]
Old 03-11-2005, 12:26 PM
IShootSharpStix

Anything coming in the JR line in the way of synthesized tx's or rx's?
Old 03-11-2005, 12:32 PM
rjklein

Oh ya we got a fully synthesized gps digital global maping reciever. So if the plane goes into fail safe you can track it GPS, and land it using your on star button.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:42 PM
50%plane

Mike,
What fetures above the 9C are needed? I flew Futaba's Attack4 before switching to the 9C.
The thing about JR that I like is that they have a 3year warrenty, but I have never needed to radios back to Futaba. I have had a little bit of trouble with their microswitchs, but when I called they had excelent service (except for one person). I have heard horror stories about Jr's customer service.

The 14MZ is such an exotic radio that I haven't seen anything like it. If JR comes out with a radio with all the features of the 14MZ and fixes their problems with customer service within the next few months I will consider it.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:45 PM
IShootSharpStix

Thanks. Very helpful......
Old 03-11-2005, 03:50 PM
MMcConville

What issue have you had with service? Are you in the states and having issues with Horizon?
Old 03-11-2005, 04:21 PM
rcplanefan
My Feedback: (2)

Mike,

For the record - I have NEVER had anything but excellent service from Horizon. Just this past winter I sent my 10X in to have it checked over, and it was back at my house 2 weeks later. I sent some 8411's in a couple of years ago for replacement gear sets, and they were back to me within the week. I can't imagine how it could be any better. And I know that I am not alone - most of the guys I fly with have the same kind of comments. Great service. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain.

Just thought you - and anyone else reading this - would like to know.

Ken McGuire
Cincinnati
Old 03-11-2005, 04:46 PM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can say I too have had excellent service from Horizon. I recently had Horizon service
my 8411's and asked for some special connections on a few of them and they responded
quickly and did everything just as I asked at a very reasonable price. First rate service !!!

tommy s
Old 03-11-2005, 05:16 PM
ciur

Thank you Mike

Regarding your question.
I live in Mexico City, in a Neighborhood called Colonia del Valle.

Regarding the electronics, I'm a Mechanical Engineer (just got my degree), not so good in electronics but with strong basis. I need to check 3A fuse, and with the multimiter all the conductivity on cables, and printed circuit, as well as in the condensers and resistances(No problem, I opened it yesterday and It's quite simple). And I'll try slow charging with the battery pack at 8 or 12 volts (Have to take a look at the battery pack when I arrive home), and 10 mA/h. Or try to balance it with an equivalent batery pack from another of my radios, I hope the Futaba and Hitec have the same voltage and current, and I'll check the polarity with the multimeter, before trying to balance.

Thanks again
Old 03-11-2005, 05:26 PM
ciur

I'll also try with a new fuse at Radio Shack. I think we can also find them here.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:32 PM
50%plane

Mike,
I have heard this story many times with different people:

A flyer has radio problems and after talking to a rude person sends his radio in.
Months later his radio is returned and has obvious exterior damage. He figures that it's what inside that counts. He takes off and has a radio problem resulting in a crash. He then calls and is hung up on.

[]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.