Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > TEAM RCU - Mike McConville
Reload this Page >

NEW Hangar 9 85cc SU-26MM Sukhoi

Community
Search
Notices
TEAM RCU - Mike McConville Ask expert Team RCU pilot Mike McConville questions in this forum.

NEW Hangar 9 85cc SU-26MM Sukhoi

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Andrew_S
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW Hangar 9 85cc SU-26MM Sukhoi

Pics look good, thanks. U dont have the choke running to a servo?
Old 09-03-2008, 06:08 AM
FlyerRick

Nah, don't really need the extra work , the extra parts, servo and the wiring. Mine has a little rod (sits just inside the cowling) that you push and pull with your finger. Works perfect! [8D]
Old 09-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Andrew_S

I have mine hooked up to an extra channel, it also serves as an engine kill JUST IN CASE something happens that is'nt supposed to..I'm running a zdz 80 with an older bing carb. I had to grind off the flats and remove the factory arms, they were too short to do anything with. I have a steering arm attached to the choke and the throttle. I need a new carb , cant find a repair kit for the bing model anymore. Does the da have a walbro wj-71 carb?
Old 09-03-2008, 02:29 PM
dptp9lf

Andrew,
Did you check with RCShowcase about a newer Walbro carb? I have the Tilitston and am thinking about switching to a walbro,
Cheers,
Old 09-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Andrew_S

Yep, they want 77 bucks for it plus shipping...I can order the same carb from a local small engine repair place for 65 with no shipping.
Whats wrong with the tilitson? If u want to get rid of it let me know......i
Old 09-03-2008, 08:44 PM
dptp9lf

Andrew,
It's pretty finicky but not as bad as the Bing. Worse than the Walbro...
Cheers,
Old 09-05-2008, 10:35 AM
FlyerRick

ORIGINAL: MRDEAD

I put in some washers behind the da-85 to give it up thrust because mine too would go towards the ground when throttle was applied and when in KE, it would go toward belly. After the washers were put in it does it a lot less about half way less. I'm going to do one more washer on each side to give it more up thrust. I also have it cg'd at 8 ". I'm going to in time make it more tail heavy. Maybe 8 and half inch's back
So your saying ( just trying to grasp ahold of your line of thinking here) that moving your CG back from 8" to 8 1/2" is going to make it more tail heavy??? [sm=72_72.gif]
Old 09-06-2008, 07:11 AM
FlyerRick

Well I did the maiden of my new Sukhoi this afternoon and it went ok. The plane flew fine after some minor adjustments and a good tuning. I had some real good friends on hand that gave me some great support and help getting setup and ready.

I want to give special thanks to Steve Miller (SteveO) for his help in standing by my right shoulder with his tuning fingers working and his comments to give me a hand and making my maiden a success!

The maiden flight found a couple of minor problems from the building aspect...I had a cowling screw come loose because I hadn't used any locktite. I had my ignition battery loosen up in the zip ties that secured it to the firewall and I found the right side landing gear inner wheel collar was loose. Not a bad maiden at that!

The three subsequent flights produced a couple more minor problems in the “loose nuts or bolts†area and I had one major problem on the last flight of the day that ended in a “dead-stickâ€â€¦my throttle rod connector to the servo arm came completely loose and fell off of the servo causing the engine to die of coarse with the throttle being spring loaded to close. I do believe that I forgot to locktite the securing nut in the bottom of the connector that I used for the rod. Big lesson here for sure….I plan on changing the type of connection I use on throttle rod!

I try to look at things like this “dead-stick†as a learning curve for me on I relate to my new Sukhoi as a pilot and me as a pilot in general. The greatest thing I found out about this plane, because of the “dead-stickâ€, is that it glides just like a trainer…I couldn’t believe it! Of coarse because of being the maiden day for my plane I kept all my flying with plenty of altitude and over the east end of our field...when the “dead-stick†happened I made 2 slow right hand circles as I wound the plane down to the final approach keeping the nose just slightly elevated till touch-down. I couldn’t believe just how nice this plane glides.

I don’t know for sure if it’s just my setup or if all these H9 Sukhoi’s fly like this but I have to say besides being grateful I am totally amazed. My 50cc Dietrich 260 on the other hand, when you take the power off of it, it kinda drops. Not this one!...gotta luv it !!!

Well for my maiden day experence, I made it home fine and have a few minor changes to do to the plane for Sunday's flying but I really have to say at this point...this Sukhoi is a truly great flyer! [8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13425.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1027288   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42962.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1027289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89274.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1027290  
Old 09-08-2008, 09:41 AM
MRDEAD

yup one of these days I will make it more tail heavy.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:34 PM
mavness
My Feedback: (9)

Will the plane prop hang with the da-85? And will it pull up out of a prop hang vertically if you open it up?
Old 09-08-2008, 01:49 PM
serge1
My Feedback: (1)

''Will the plane prop hang with the da-85? And will it pull up out of a prop hang vertically if you open it up?''

You are kidding right?? Mine hover at 1/4 trothle stick and pull out like a rocket.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98599.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1028996  
Old 09-08-2008, 02:41 PM
mavness

ORIGINAL: serge1

''Will the plane prop hang with the da-85? And will it pull up out of a prop hang vertically if you open it up?''

You are kidding right?? Mine hover at 1/4 trothle stick and pull out like a rocket.

hahaa no I wasnt kidding! I didnt know hence why I asked! haha but thats awesome to hear. I know what motor Im throwin in mine now! Thanks for the info!
Old 09-08-2008, 04:17 PM
MRDEAD

DA 85 puts out over 42 pounds of thrust planes are comming in at 19.5 to 22 pds thats 2 to one thrust. My plane weighs 20.5 and is insane verticle. I've never seen any thing like it. I have over 35 flights hovers at a quarter throttle and rolling harriers are walking speed. I didnt touch my da-85 out of box till the 24th or 25th flight. Some planes have to fly out of manuevers, this one is like a foamy and says "what's next"?
Old 09-08-2008, 05:44 PM
FlyerRick

Dido here too on the 1/4 throttle hang...stab the throttle from the hang and my Sukhoi powers out like you wouldn't believe...gotta luv it! And my engine is still breaking-in. Can't inagine what it will do 20 flights from now??? [8D]
Old 09-09-2008, 12:31 PM
MRDEAD

It's truly an amazing plane engine combo. Any one else notice that it doesn't lock in flat spins(flat flat spin) at 8" cg? If your not used to blipping the throttle for rolling harriers now is the time to learn. The plane is so light, throttle has to be blipped in rollers. It looks cool 10 feet above the ground doing rollers.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:10 AM
mavness

DA 85 puts out over 42 pounds of thrust planes are comming in at 19.5 to 22 pds thats 2 to one thrust. My plane weighs 20.5 and is insane verticle. I've never seen any thing like it. I have over 35 flights hovers at a quarter throttle and rolling harriers are walking speed. I didnt touch my da-85 out of box till the 24th or 25th flight. Some planes have to fly out of manuevers, this one is like a foamy and says "what's next"?
Thats the info I was looking for! Thank you so much! Well I picked mine up a few days ago...got this one...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemid=429185

Now I just need a motor and some servos! I want my plane to be SOMEWHAT quiet, and if it has the power you guys are saying it does, I wont mind losing a bit of power in order to quiet it down a bit. Im in chicago so noise is always an issue because there are homes everywhere haha, anyways what muffler do you guys recommend for non window shattering levels?
Old 09-12-2008, 05:39 AM
FlyerRick

I'm using the MTW 110 Canister, 25mm drop (flex) header, and silicone adapters. Works great, fits excellant and my IMAC/Local deciple reading comes in at 87-91...got to love that!
Old 09-12-2008, 06:31 AM
FlyerRick

ORIGINAL: mavness

Thats the info I was looking for! Thank you so much! Well I picked mine up a few days ago...got this one...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemid=429185

Now I just need a motor and some servos! I want my plane to be SOMEWHAT quiet, and if it has the power you guys are saying it does, I wont mind losing a bit of power in order to quiet it down a bit. Im in chicago so noise is always an issue because there are homes everywhere haha, anyways what muffler do you guys recommend for non window shattering levels?
Don't know what your planning on in the servos area but I can make a couple of suggestions...

My Sukhoi I'm using JR all the way around.
Ailerons: DS8611A's
Elevators: DS8611A's
Rudder: DS8711
Throttle: DS821
This setup works great and wont cripple your wallet if you look around a little!

The other suggestion is a HiTec setup. I used all HiTec on my DPA 260 and it also works super. For the Sukhoi I'd go with...
Ailerons:5955TG's
Elevators: 5955TG's
Rudder: 5955TG or the new 7955TG
Throttle: 5985MG or a 5645MG

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Old 09-17-2008, 02:43 PM
alqwad

Hey guys-

Is it just me or did the price on this just go up around 200 dollars?? I am almost certain it was available for $799 and now it's showing at $999.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:49 PM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

Yea a lot of their prices just got increased. this one and the 35% went up 200 bone.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:11 PM
FlyerRick

10-4 on the 200 buck raise in price! Did it about 3 weeks ago [sm=tired.gif]
Old 09-17-2008, 05:15 PM
alqwad

That kind of stinks. I was looking to retire my older WH Extra 260 and just slide all of my stuff over to a newer and lighter airframe... I had narrowed it down between the H9 Sukhoi and another. I was leaning toward this but now I don't know. Come on, now !! [>:]
Old 09-30-2008, 03:55 PM
mavness

ORIGINAL: Aerozona

Don't know what your planning on in the servos area but I can make a couple of suggestions...

My Sukhoi I'm using JR all the way around.
Ailerons: DS8611A's
Elevators: DS8611A's
Rudder: DS8711
Throttle: DS821
This setup works great and wont cripple your wallet if you look around a little!

The other suggestion is a HiTec setup. I used all HiTec on my DPA 260 and it also works super. For the Sukhoi I'd go with...
Ailerons:5955TG's
Elevators: 5955TG's
Rudder: 5955TG or the new 7955TG
Throttle: 5985MG or a 5645MG

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Awesome! Thanks for the info, I will keep this in mind when pricing out the equipment!
Old 10-07-2008, 04:03 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

Get over it. Mine came today (old price ) and it looks very good. As good as anything I have seen out there.

All the gear is ready to go in and I expect it will take a few evenings.

Only mods I will implement -
- Stronger fuel tank ply tray on top of current location
- Pin the firewall with 1/8 dowels
- Bennett 32oz. gas tank and fittings
- PSP Titanium wheel axles (3/16)
- Sullivan Skylight 4" aluminum hub wheels
- Replace the iron turnbuckles with titanium pro-links
- Throttle servo in the box (direct shot)

Firewall is already done with tri-stock, so no need to redo that.

ORIGINAL: alqwad

That kind of stinks. I was looking to retire my older WH Extra 260 and just slide all of my stuff over to a newer and lighter airframe... I had narrowed it down between the H9 Sukhoi and another. I was leaning toward this but now I don't know. Come on, now !! [>:]
Old 10-13-2008, 06:10 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

OK. I want to thank Mike for hitting this one out of the park.

I was very aprenhensive getting a H9 plane after reading about the quality issues people are having with the Carden Yak.

No problems with this one. I am very happy with the engineering, build quality, covering and hardware. This is after being used to the EF and QQ quality levels for some time now.

It's a solid plane that goes very well together, providing one follows the instructions and reads a bit in the forums for the few minor mods necessary. All systems came well together. Canister provisions made it the easiest install ever and everything seems solid and well put together.

There are very minor things I think should be modified in the build process:

1. I am personally against throttle servos being that far from the engine. I glued two wood rails in the engine box and the linkage from the servo to the carb is 2.5" long - extremely rigid and positive. I like this better than having it running from the tank tray.

2. In any case, I can't run that servo from the tank tray because I replaced what I consider to be a sub-par, pre-installed gas tank, with a high quality Bennet 32oz. with the proper fittings and filters.

3. tank tray does not seem solid enough to me, to hold a full 32oz. tank through violent maneuvers. I glued tri-stock under the tray to give it more support and rigidity.

4. Since the DA-85 does not lend itself to a choke lever going towards the front, I made a bellcrank linkage on the balsa wall behind the engine box, with the lever going back and down, exiting under the cowl. Works great.

Other than that, it was just boring - it goes together so easy and ends up looking great. I am just a bit worried about being too light for a DA-85. Might have to add some smoke and bling to calm it down...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.