Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > TEAM RCU - Mike McConville
Reload this Page >

NEW Hangar 9 85cc SU-26MM Sukhoi

Notices
TEAM RCU - Mike McConville Ask expert Team RCU pilot Mike McConville questions in this forum.

NEW Hangar 9 85cc SU-26MM Sukhoi

Old 10-14-2008, 04:16 AM
Maged

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW Hangar 9 85cc SU-26MM Sukhoi

I just finished mine and have been through a couple of gallons already. The plane is absolutely fantastic. Probably my favorite to date and my second from Mike. Rolls are brilliantly axial, the plane is ectremely forgiving and there is an insane power to weight ratio!!

My only issue is that I feel there is excessive vibration. I have reinforced the enine box and gone over the whole plane with CA. I have had my Fromeco ignition battery break loose from the zip ties I used to hold it down twice and the cowl screw holes shear due to the vibration. I would recommend that you use threadlock on the cowl scews and regulary inspect the plane for anything coming loose. I assume that the vibration will get better once broken in and the engine calibrated properly.

Also I would highly recommend that you use threadlock on the servo screws cause I also had one of the servo arms come loose.

Other than that this plane is as graceful as they come!!
Old 10-15-2008, 12:44 PM
rc_buster

Hello all

here is a video i made with my big brother SU 26MM..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aybFn3AoX2w

hope you like it
thanks
ido
Old 10-15-2008, 02:32 PM
dptp9lf

RC Buster

Brilliant video and piloting as well!!!

Cheers,
Old 10-16-2008, 11:10 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

Mark this one is complete. Waiting for better weather to perform the maiden and shakedown.

Plane is balanced at 7 3/4 for now and the weight is 22lbs. even, dry.

I've gone with glue over everywhere I could get to, beefed the tank tray, pinned the firewall and put loctite everywhere. If I see the cowl holes getting larger, I will install PSP cowl binders immediately.

Just noticed I forgot to drill a hole in the motor box to access the needles - 5 minutes tomorrow...

ORIGINAL: yarom

OK. I want to thank Mike for hitting this one out of the park.

I was very aprenhensive getting a H9 plane after reading about the quality issues people are having with the Carden Yak.

No problems with this one. I am very happy with the engineering, build quality, covering and hardware. This is after being used to the EF and QQ quality levels for some time now.

It's a solid plane that goes very well together, providing one follows the instructions and reads a bit in the forums for the few minor mods necessary. All systems came well together. Canister provisions made it the easiest install ever and everything seems solid and well put together.

There are very minor things I think should be modified in the build process:

1. I am personally against throttle servos being that far from the engine. I glued two wood rails in the engine box and the linkage from the servo to the carb is 2.5" long - extremely rigid and positive. I like this better than having it running from the tank tray.

2. In any case, I can't run that servo from the tank tray because I replaced what I consider to be a sub-par, pre-installed gas tank, with a high quality Bennet 32oz. with the proper fittings and filters.

3. tank tray does not seem solid enough to me, to hold a full 32oz. tank through violent maneuvers. I glued tri-stock under the tray to give it more support and rigidity.

4. Since the DA-85 does not lend itself to a choke lever going towards the front, I made a bellcrank linkage on the balsa wall behind the engine box, with the lever going back and down, exiting under the cowl. Works great.

Other than that, it was just boring - it goes together so easy and ends up looking great. I am just a bit worried about being too light for a DA-85. Might have to add some smoke and bling to calm it down...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28188.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1053292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34952.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1053293  
Old 10-17-2008, 07:01 AM
rc_buster

Thanks!
i love this plane.. just fly's so good..

ido
Old 10-22-2008, 11:48 AM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

I've maidened this plane last weekend and flew it about six times since then.

Observations:

This is by far the best flying plane I have ever owned. It outflies any Extreme Flight 50cc or 100cc, the QQ Yak and certainly does better than any 35% Extras I have been flying (not the H9). Tracks extremely well, slows down very well on down lines and the power to weight ratio is just plain sick. Lands like a trainer - literally.

Less good:

I'm having the worst time dialing in the DA-85. Needles move all over the place without being able to find the right spot. The engine is very noisy and shakes quite a bit. The vibration is transmitted into the fuse through the canister and that has me quite concerned.

The cowl binding system cannot take the vibrations and the holes have already started expanding in only six flight. I installed PSP cowl binder but I doubt they will be able to hold with the vibrations. There is also an unhealthy harmonic going through the whole airplane at certain rpm. I am considering some diagonal CF rod s to tryn and dampen and absorb some of these harmonics...

The canopy flew off on the first flight. Glue residue indicates it was well glued but the force on it was very strong - and the pilot naturally ejected. Found the canopy a bit damaged and taped it temporarily back on. Unfortunately, Horizon does not have a replacement in stock - bummer.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:17 PM
FlyerRick

Mine is doing fine. I like you went through some of the same exact things as far as little anoying problems. I haven't had anything major like my canopy blow off but the viberation and the cowling probs kinda got to me a little. Flys like a dream though! I do believe a lot of these small problems are directly related to the plane itself and being so damn light weight. Kinda like the WWII jap zeros...hell of a flyer but couldn't take a lot of abuse before falling apart! 8)))
Old 10-22-2008, 01:46 PM
MRDEAD

[size=4]Hi, Yarom I had a similar problem for one flight, half of the prop had shared off during flight and made a wierd harmonic and shared off the carb bolt. Your problem sounds more like a prop problem (balance or and bolts holding it on). Then check Engine bolts,engine mount,muffler bolts. I always try to look at the simple stuff first and work my way up.[/size]
Old 02-07-2009, 05:13 PM
airwayman
My Feedback: (2)

Sad news. I crashed my Hangar 9 Sukhoi today. Just flying along doing IMAC manuvers, heard a horrible noise, immediately reduced power and turned to land. Unable to control the plane, it crashed in soft field, spinner not even damaged. Plane was a total loss. Investigation revealed the glue joints behind the firewall failed and the motor, mount and all, came out of the plane, turned sideways, hit the cowl (prop is ground down on back side from cowl) and the plane began to desinigrate. Engine was DA 85, All bolts in prop, spinner and firewall tight. Nothing loose but the glue joints. CF prop balanced vertically and horizontally. Anybody else had or heard of problems? I did not go over the front end with extra glue. If you haven't do so immediately. Airwayman
Old 02-10-2009, 12:14 AM
Andrew_S
My Feedback: (12)

Are you guys having problems with the da 85?
Old 02-10-2009, 06:00 AM
airwayman

Are you guys having problems with the da 85?
What kind of problems are you referring to? I've had no problems. Oh, it barked a little (like a DA50 does) but a couple of needle adjustments and it runs like a scalded dog. Airwayman
Old 02-10-2009, 03:08 PM
MRDEAD

s[]rry to hear, about your loss. The first thing I did when building plane thank god was reglue every where.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:13 PM
MRDEAD

Almost no problems I have 3 da-85's. My Ignition just started acting up on my sukoi. The ignition is the same on the da-50. Two of the 3 engines I did not touch needles till the 25th flight from new in box. Third is going to be installed on my new python
Old 02-10-2009, 06:07 PM
airwayman

ORIGINAL: MRDEAD

Almost no problems I have 3 da-85's.
I agree, the DA 85 is a great engine. I had a ZDZ Super 80, also a good engine. I just like good ole DA. I do wish they'd get with the program and make an ignition that would run on lithiums without the need for a regualtor. Airwayman
Old 02-14-2009, 10:33 AM
danrc2

could anyone tell me if the canopy from the 26 will fit the 31. or could someone give me the measurements of the 26 canopy.

thanks
dan
Old 02-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

I believe somewhee back a ways Mike said the canopy would not work but the cowl would.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:23 PM
danrc2

can anyone give me any sizes on the canopy?

also does anyone know were i can get a canopy for the su-31 from h9?

dan
Old 02-26-2009, 02:25 PM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Correct, the canopy wont fit the old SU-31.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Smacka

I know I am "preaching to the choir" when I say this BUT with respect to high vibes...make sure to balance the tips of your props first (so that they stay absolutely level in the horizontal plane), then balance the hubs (A MUST!). Once properly balanced, you should be able to place your prop in any position on your balancer and it should stay in that exact same spot immediately, and not wander. This is so very important with gassers. You can get away with cutting corners on the smaller glow engine props BUT not the big 'uns. Meaning, smaller props are more forgiving with respect to balancing.

Lastly, do not forget to balance your spinner. If you skip any of these critical steps, your aircraft WILL suffer from "Good Vibrations", as the song goes...

Not to say that this is THE issue with H9's aircraft...just one more check in the box to be sure the builder is not adding to his problem.

Have fun...
Old 03-26-2009, 03:26 PM
Andrew_S

The ones of you that used the mtw cannnister, did you use some type of insulating material around the cannister where it rests on the wood? Mine isnt a tight fit at all....
Old 08-04-2009, 09:29 AM
ROBCAR
My Feedback: (52)

Anyone have a zenoah g-62 on one of these planes??
Old 08-04-2009, 09:36 AM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Not that I'm aware of.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Andrew_S

Well I'm getting sukhoi number 2 ready for it's maiden, hopefully this coming up weekend and I'm about as nervous as a cat with a 12 foot long tail sitting in a room full of rocking chairs....I was flying number 1 along just above idle, just poking along when all of a sudden she went into a spin. I could see something hanging off one of the wings...When i made it to the crash site, I found the aileron had "fallen out" of the wing... It didn't look lke there was any glue at all on the hinges...Thankfully Horizon sent me a new sukhoi to replace the old one...This one looks better cosmetically and it feels a little bit heavier, hopefully from some much needed glue......
Old 08-04-2009, 11:38 PM
darryl-e

lots of videos on you tube with the g62 what i have read it is pretty limited but it comes in at around 20lbs
Old 08-05-2009, 05:07 AM
airwayman

I was flying number 1 along just above idle, just poking along when all of a sudden she went into a spin. I could see something hanging off one of the wings...When i made it to the crash site, I found the aileron had ''fallen out'' of the wing... It didn't look lke there was any glue at all on the hinges...Thankfully Horizon sent me a new sukhoi to replace the old one
My H9 Sukhoi 26MM w/ DA 85 came apart in the air on the 12th flight. In my case the left side of the fuse failed in front of the wing allowing the engine firewall (and engine) to turn violently to the right. The back side of the prop struck the right side of the cowl, pieces flew everywhere and the sound was horrible. I killed the engine w/ the choke and was not able to make the runway. Post crash investigation revealed NO glue on several of the fuse/former joints on the left side of the fuse and in the area of the engine box (some locking tabs were completely clean, bare wood not even a hint of glue. I called Horizon, they graciously sent me a shipping label. I sent the fuse, prop, cowl, pictures, broken parts...all labeled and numbered with a description. No word for weeks. I called, they looked and looked...finally found my box...unopened. We spent 2 hrs. and 17 min. in "discussion" they said it was normal crash damage, it was not and I would not let up. They finally relented and sent me a brand new plane. I will buy from Horizon again. Two things: First, the DA85 is a horse and this plane is built very light. Be careful w/ the throttle stick. Second, CHECK ALL GLUE JOINTS ON EVERY ARF. I have several giant scale ARFs from several different manufacturers. The people that built these planes don't waste glue. Check, check and recheck. I've found and seen several potential disasters waiting to happen all due to poor quality glue joints. Airwayman

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.