Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > TEAM RCU - Mike McConville
Reload this Page >

NEW Hangar 9 85cc SU-26MM Sukhoi

Notices
TEAM RCU - Mike McConville Ask expert Team RCU pilot Mike McConville questions in this forum.

NEW Hangar 9 85cc SU-26MM Sukhoi

Old 08-05-2009, 09:43 PM
Andrew_S
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW Hangar 9 85cc SU-26MM Sukhoi

My H9 Sukhoi 26MM w/ DA 85 came apart in the air on the 12th flight. In my case the left side of the fuse failed in front of the wing allowing the engine firewall (and engine) to turn violently to the right. The back side of the prop struck the right side of the cowl, pieces flew everywhere and the sound was horrible. I killed the engine w/ the choke and was not able to make the runway. Post crash investigation revealed NO glue on several of the fuse/former joints on the left side of the fuse and in the area of the engine box (some locking tabs were completely clean, bare wood not even a hint of glue. I called Horizon, they graciously sent me a shipping label
HOLY COW ! ! ! Well at least they sent you a shipping label..I had to pay 60 bucks to ship mine..[]
Old 08-24-2009, 10:15 PM
serge1
My Feedback: (1)

''My H9 Sukhoi 26MM w/ DA 85 came apart in the air on the 12th flight.''

I am about to give up on mine. The plane so far is a complete nightmare. 2 flights = 2 hours of maintenance and regluing. The cowl is not holding , same for the canopy... It's a shame that H9 did released the plane with so much bugs.

I swear this is my last H9 product.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:53 AM
airwayman
My Feedback: (2)

I am about to give up on mine. The plane so far is a complete nightmare. 2 flights = 2 hours of maintenance and regluing. The cowl is not holding , same for the canopy... It's a shame that H9 did released the plane with so much bugs. I swear this is my last H9 product.
I feel your pain. In Hangar 9's defense, my Sukhoi did fly great. However, in my opinion, not only was the plane not constructed with materials that were strong enough to withstand the power and vibration from the DA85, the type of adhesive and the amount used in construction were inferior. The glue simply did not stick to several of the major components inside the fuse. I was able to pull them apart with almost no effort following the crash. I have had a number of large ARFs, so far, the only brand I have not had to reglue or add additional supporting braces to are the AeroWorks products. Their QB (Quick Build) kits are far superior to many of the other ARFs on the market.

Give up on Hangar 9? I felt the same way until I started flying my 35% Hangar 9 Extra 260. It is also built fairly light and I did have to reglue several joints but it flies great. Airwayman
Old 08-25-2009, 05:46 AM
kaastrup

I always check all gluing points, and reglue the ones needed. I have never had a ARF plane where I have NOT beefed up the firewall and crusial joints, and I have had a lot of different brands.

Nevertheless Hangar-9 is one of my favorite ARF - they have better designs, covering and accesories, than most other brands....
Old 08-25-2009, 06:55 AM
Andrew_S

I have 5 flights on my second one, other than the tail wheel bending and breaking off, so far so good...But I almost dread flying it for fear of something happening....This one does fly better than the first one which is kinda weird. Not sure why but with the first one, at full throttle the plane would slowly drop the right wing. Only at full throttle. I guess it was telling me the aileron was gonna fall out but I checked and checked and couldnt find anything...I have another hanger 9 arf, a d7, and after about the 20th flight, the covering peeled off one of the bottom wings...Imo the quality of these birds sure have dropped ALOT. I think I am through with h9 after this one too...I owned a h9 cap for probably close to 10 years and never had one issue with it. I hate I sold that.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:40 PM
serge1
My Feedback: (1)

'' so far, the only brand I have not had to reglue or add additional supporting braces to are the AeroWorks products.''

Same here. I have 200 + flight on my AW Yak and I have yet to shrink the plane for the first time. I will probably get the new 100 cc edge coming soon. The suckoi flies great but the maintenance and regluing I have to do after each flight is getting ridiculous.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:17 AM
kaastrup

"regluing I have to do after each flight"

If you use 24H epoxy you should only have to reglue one time...
Old 08-27-2009, 12:56 PM
MRDEAD

Hi all. I as well find maintanance and upkeep sometimes hard. I currently own a H9 sukhoi new gen and 4 other 35% to 37.5% planes or 2.5m to 3.0m. Serge I ran into some of the same problems you have had. My only suggestion is do what I did. Take the time fix the problems right. I one time went 25 to 30 flights on my sukhoi without a hitch or maintanance. Out of my 5 giant planes i fly the Sukhoi the most. Joe nall was awesome and I flew the C*** out of my sukhoi there on the 3D line while there was all 40%'s up. I had 4 giant planes there and found the sukhoi my favorite there as well. I've noticed that as I care more about maintanance less stuff goes wrong on any plane. I'm tell'n ya mahn don't get discouraged. Make sure you put lock tight on the cowl bolts and use fuel tubing. If it needs a new wood block(1-4) or blind nuts get it done! Let me know how it goes!!!!!!
Old 08-28-2009, 05:44 AM
airwayman

Make sure you put lock tight on the cowl bolts and use fuel tubing.
I threw those silly little pieces of fuel tubing away. Shame on H9 for using such a ridiculous contraption on an expensive giant scale plane when bonded washers now are standard issue for most ARF hardware packs. I filled in the big holes in the cowl from the back with fiberglass cloth/CA and redrilled the holes for machine screws. I use 6-32 machine screws, bonded washers and T nuts on the Sukhoi and all my other giant scale planes. The use of bonded washers has eliminated ALL of my problems with cowl and canopy screws coming loose. For those not familiar with bonded washers you have a real treat coming. Airwayman
Old 08-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Andrew_S

Where can i get some of that 24 hour epoxy??? I will bite, ,what are bonded washers?
Old 08-29-2009, 04:26 AM
airwayman

Where can i get some of that 24 hour epoxy??? I will bite, ,what are bonded washers?
Can't help you with the 24 hr. epoxy..never heard of it. If I really really want to be sure something sticks I use Hysol 9462. Yes, it's expensive and you need a gun to get the stuff out of the side by side tubes evenly but it doesn't run and it is a great adhesive. I bought mine from Andy Kane. Troy Built Models also sells it. It's made by Loctite, I think.

I found bonded washers in the larger sizes (no. 10 and 1/4" at Lowes (maybe Home Depot?). The guy working in the hardware department didn't even know what they were until I showed him the package. A bonded washer is a steel washer with a rubber washer bonded to the underside. Two things make them great; they don't come loose and the rubber washer clings to the threads of the machine screw so the washer doesn't fall off when you remove the screw. If you really want to be sure the screw doesn't come loose, some add a small lock washer to the machine screw first, then the bonded washer. J R Hobby Hardware and Micro Fastners sell bonded washers in all the popular sizes. Airwayman
Old 08-29-2009, 03:00 PM
dptp9lf

ORIGINAL: airwayman

Can't help you with the 24 hr. epoxy..never heard of it. If I really really want to be sure something sticks I use Hysol 9462. Yes, it's expensive and you need a gun to get the stuff out of the side by side tubes evenly but it doesn't run and it is a great adhesive. I bought mine from Andy Kane. Troy Built Models also sells it. It's made by Loctite, I think.

I found bonded washers in the larger sizes (no. 10 and 1/4'' at Lowes (maybe Home Depot?). The guy working in the hardware department didn't even know what they were until I showed him the package. A bonded washer is a steel washer with a rubber washer bonded to the underside. Two things make them great; they don't come loose and the rubber washer clings to the threads of the machine screw so the washer doesn't fall off when you remove the screw. If you really want to be sure the screw doesn't come loose, some add a small lock washer to the machine screw first, then the bonded washer. J R Hobby Hardware and Micro Fastners sell bonded washers in all the popular sizes. Airwayman
You forgot to mention they save the cowl...
Cheers,
Lyle
Old 10-21-2010, 12:26 PM
gade600sdi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get them (bonded washers) at an Ace or good hardware store in the bins, much better than Lowes and cheaper. The rubber on the washer keeps it from turning. I get them too I got tired of losing screws. Use some CA to glue the metal washer to the head on your little 6-32 bolts so it stays on the bolt. I started using them on all canopies and cowls from 60-90 size planes on up.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:57 PM
luckymacy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: camss69

ORIGINAL: rc3dflyr

Anyone had any problems with the engine getting hot? Has anyone put baffels in the front of the cowell to improove cooling efficiancy? I was thinking of installing a thin ply ring in the inside front of the cowell with an opening only in front of the cylinder head like they do on QQ aircraft planes. Is this necessary? I would appreciate any feedback on this matter. Thanks rc3dflyr

You mean like this?

I made it, but have yet to figure out a way to mount it, get it centered and stay there and not have glue all over the front of it.

It's aircraft light ply with black ultracote.
what did you make your 'baffle' out of and what did you use to secure it to the cowl? How much did it affect CG anyway?