Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > TEAM RCU - Mike McConville
Reload this Page >

NEW Hangar 9 85cc SU-26MM Sukhoi

Notices
TEAM RCU - Mike McConville Ask expert Team RCU pilot Mike McConville questions in this forum.

NEW Hangar 9 85cc SU-26MM Sukhoi

Old 03-25-2008, 06:32 AM
bjamesjr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW Hangar 9 85cc SU-26MM Sukhoi

ORIGINAL: Neilbo4

Hey Mr. Bill,

Are you going to go flying with Vince and I either Wednesday or Friday?

Neil
I wasn't aware you guys were getting together. If it's in the evening on both days then I can join in. At your place or ours?
Old 03-25-2008, 07:06 AM
bjamesjr

Neil,

I just spoke to Vinny, he mentioned you were thinking of coming up here

I was just looking at the weather and depending on who you want to believe, Wednesday is supposed to be either rain in the morning and evening with temps in the mid 50's and the same thing for Friday or rain on and off all day for both days
Old 03-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Neilbo4

I just saw that.... It's only a 30% chance on Wednesday and it's supposed to be like 59. I will call Vince but it looks like Wed. is going to be the better day.

What time can you and vince make it up to the field on Wed.? My Dad is taking off work so we couldbe at your field as early as Noon if that works for you guys.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:04 AM
bjamesjr

we have a tour at work Wednesday so the earliest I can be there is 3:30pm. I cannot say when Vinny can make it
Old 03-25-2008, 09:11 AM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: MMcConville

The canister is the MTW110K. If the manual says 100 I missed that. Its a typo.

The header drop is 12mm. Somehow we got our wires crossed with DA on this and they lost the info so we had to start over on that recently. They will have headers specifically for the Suk, but unfortunately they arent here yet. As a matter of fact I need one. I sent them back the custom header from my model and its sitting grounded waiting on an exhaust too.
Guys,
I believe I misspoke here. The can is the MTW TD110. Its the one that is front exhaust and 70mm diameter. I thought that was the K but just looked at the MTW site and realized I was wrong.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:38 AM
bjamesjr

The canister is the MTW110K. If the manual says 100 I missed that. Its a typo.

The header drop is 12mm. Somehow we got our wires crossed with DA on this and they lost the info so we had to start over on that recently. They will have headers specifically for the Suk, but unfortunately they arent here yet. As a matter of fact I need one. I sent them back the custom header from my model and its sitting grounded waiting on an exhaust too.
Guys,
I believe I misspoke here. The can is the MTW TD110. Its the one that is front exhaust and 70mm diameter. I thought that was the K but just looked at the MTW site and realized I was wrong.
It's all good Mike

I was very frustrated last night when I found this out and then I decided it was time to mount the gear and found the bolt holes off then I went on a witch hunt and found lots of places lacking in glue and my canopy being broken as well.

I'll get it all fixed eventually...

I'm betting on I have a Monday/Friday plane
Old 03-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Andrew_S
My Feedback: (12)

My cowl was cracked as well. Also the tube in one of the stabilizers had a split in it. One call to horizon and they shipped replacement parts no questions asked. I have"nt tried to bolt the landing gear up yet. How are yall pinning the firewall? I was thinking it had aluminum angle bolted inside like the 1/3 scale cap, but it does'nt. Where did yall find places needing more glue?
Old 03-25-2008, 10:18 AM
ReneAlv
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, can you give me the inside diameter of the cowling
Old 03-25-2008, 10:49 AM
MMcConville

The cowl flairs out toward the front so the dia depends on where you measure.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Maged

Thanks for clarifying the canister issue Mike.

Can anyone tell me how to calculate the wing loading on this plane and what the typical parameters one would want to be within on 3D aircraft?
Old 03-25-2008, 11:55 AM
bjamesjr

Andrew,

For doing the pinning, I drilled 1/8th inch holes into the sides (4 each side) and epoxied in 1/8th dowel rod pieces (around 1 inch each piece)

As far as glue goes, so far I felt the landing gear plate needed some work, the area around the first canister opening (near the back of the engine box) were a bit lacking. I did not have my dremel handy so I used a fine tooth coping saw to remove the part of the former as per the manual and where the can opening starts at the back of the engine box the wood quite quickly popped loose.

I do not know if others have any tri-stock on the inside of the firewall, but mine didn't so I added some there. I did some around the gear plate. I fly off a field that at this time of year is pretty rough so I did not want to taker any chances.

Also, I just got off the phone with DA. They have the 110 in stock and though they do not have the 12mm drop header they will tell you that the 25mm works fine. He told me of someone that tested it in CO (I think) and I also remember reading that as well so I ordered both the header and can. total was 238 and change shipped via ground to PA. I did not order the clamps and teflon coupler as I have 2 sets already for the DA85 (28mm).

My apologies to the thread and to Mike for jumping off the deep end in my earlier post [] I'm a big Sukhoi fan and I'm looking forward to getting this thing flying and maybe using it for Sportsman this year.

EDIT: I just called Horizon and explained about the cowl and the way it was packed and even told them I bought the plane from the LHS and they are still sending me a new one no questions asked. My hats off to them and Mike, excellent, truly excellent support
Old 03-25-2008, 12:44 PM
ReneAlv
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, If I was going to use a 3w80 twin, would it fit the cowling? this is why I am trying to get the inside diameter.

Thank you

Rene Alvarez
Old 03-25-2008, 01:26 PM
MMcConville

It should. They are 40cc jugs.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:47 PM
darryl-e

well mine was shipped and i talked to my LHS and it is to be here Thursday can't wait to get this. I also informed my hobby shop of the damage that is happenning to the cowls incase mine is. wish me luck.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:25 PM
darryl-e

Well recievied a phone call from my hobby shop my plane is in.[sm=shades_smile.gif] went down to pick it up and told him that i would like to open it up to look for damage. well as from all the other people having problems mine is no exception.[&o] Cowl is broken in 4 places and the one place is actually ripped back a 1 1/2. My LHS has seen the damaged and i will be phoning Horizion in the morning to get this problem fixed. As far as the wing tube issue my one wing fits very very tight but i am able to get the tube in. as far as the other wing it fits snug also but it slides on alot better than the other one. i will try a very light sanding of the tube and see what that does. The rest of the plane appears to be good. i have not put the tail together as of yet that will be done tommorrow.

MIKE M so the can and pipe that is needed is the MTW TD110 ??????? and the header pipe is a solid 12mm drop???????

is this the pipe/header combo you use?? if not what would you reccommend ???

thanks in advance

Darryl
Old 03-27-2008, 11:12 AM
MMcConville

Thats what I use. Other than, get a flex header if possible so there is a little tweakability.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Andrew_S

When gluing the canopy onto the turtle deck, is it a flush fit at the back or a little overhang? Another little problem I found, when I bolted the landing gear on, I found a couple of the bolt holes are stripped..No biggie, I'll just throw some lock nuts on the back side. Everything else looks good so far...I sure hate though having to cut that pretty cowl...[X(]
Old 03-28-2008, 09:23 AM
MMcConville

The canopy should be flush with the rear turtledeck. If there is a little overhang that ok though.

On the Landing gear bolts, the aluminum plates and gear arent tapped and wont hold the bolt. There are supposed to be nuts on all of the landing gear screws.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Andrew_S

Thanks for the reply.....I hope to maiden the sukhoi next week....
Old 04-02-2008, 04:10 AM
RICK9303
My Feedback: (172)

MIKE, Can you give us info on when the Sukhoi is coming in to Horizon. My LHS said end of March, well no plane. A few people must of got theirs, from the posts here. Now Horizon just shows on back order, with no date as to when it will arrive. You stated before in a past post, it would be here, can you update us that haven't got theirs yet.

RICK
Old 04-02-2008, 08:36 AM
MMcConville

Several came have already shiped. The next shipment is coming but I dont have the delimery schedule, and a lot of the staff are either departing for Toledo or preparing to at the moment.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:23 PM
bjamesjr

The canopy should be flush with the rear turtledeck. If there is a little overhang that ok though.

On the Landing gear bolts, the aluminum plates and gear arent tapped and wont hold the bolt. There are supposed to be nuts on all of the landing gear screws.

My landing gear does not have aluminum plates in the fuselage, just blind nuts into what looks like plywood. []
Old 04-02-2008, 02:11 PM
MMcConville

Can you send me a pic of the inside of the model? That doesnt work. The ply wont carry the load of the gear. There should be B-nuts to attach the bottom hatch over the gear, but they are positioned right behind the end of the aluminum angle brackets.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:02 PM
bjamesjr

Mike,

I already added angle brackets and tri-stock to that area but I originally had 8-32 blind nuts there. My LHS had another one for someone else and I looked at that one to see what the differences were so looking at mine the holes were there in the side of the formers but not the brackets. If you look back through a few posts of mine you will see where I mentioned the one blind nut was just rotating in the wood. I'm really beginning to think I have a Friday/Monday plane. Here's an example of the bottom of the left stab, it's clear the clear covering sealing the gap was torn partly away. My other issues are the wing tube and stab tube as everyone else is having. I'll be pealing the covering off and re-doing it later on. the stab tube is doable and I already sanded down the wing tube.

She will fly, as soon as my order from DA gets here

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41116.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	920044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96538.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	920045  
Old 04-02-2008, 03:21 PM
MMcConville

You dont need Tri stock but the aluminum angle had to bolt to the sides of the motor box and to the langing gear. The ply facce the gear mates with isnt load bearing and cant carry the gear. It designed to be carried by the sides of the motor box.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.