Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > TEAM RCU - Mike McConville
Reload this Page >

Servos choice for showtime 50 rudder

Community
Search
Notices
TEAM RCU - Mike McConville Ask expert Team RCU pilot Mike McConville questions in this forum.

Servos choice for showtime 50 rudder

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 11:49 AM
tich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servos choice for showtime 50 rudder

Mike
I have both the showtime 90 and now the showtime 50. Given that my showtime 90 uses a JR 8511 digi servo and the fact that the showtime 50 is only slightly smaller is the stock 537 really man enough for the job. I am currently considering the JR 589 DS with 5 kg torque but I also have an 8425 I could use. I am intending to go for the more extreme throws suggested in the manual and fine tune them to my liking but I doubt the ruder will get backed off much if its as good as the showtime 90.

One other minor question/ observation. The showtime 90 ailerons seem a little agressive on high rates without the SFG's Am i right in assuming that you quote a generic set of rates that are suitable for both setups and that these rates are a little agressive if the SFG's are not used. I fly of grass and the SFg's are a little vulnerable so I prefer not to fit them in the winter.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:42 PM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Servos choice for showtime 50 rudder

A lot of torque really isnt needed. Its a smaller airplane. Use the most torque ion rudder. I think the best set-up is a lighter one with good precise servos such as the JR DS9411.

The hirate aileron is very agressive and a lot of fun, but you need to use a lot of expo and have a much tamer low rate as well. I really didnt make any consideration for roll rate difference with vs w/o the SFGs. I didnt see a big difference.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:21 AM
tich

Mike, many thanks for that, it confirms my thoughts that the JR 537 stock servos would be possibly overstretched on the rudder at the high rates suggetsted- after all the rudder isnt that much smaller than the showtime 90. I Also thought the 2- 56 pushrod for the elevators in the shgowtime 50 is too flexible and decided to swap to a small carbon pushrod as I will be pushing the plane as hard as I can! I really love the looks of both IC Showtimes.

I am currently having a slight problem with the tail on the 90 sized one where the tail starts to osciallate on the ground as the digi servos start to pull it slighlty out of position. I have tried using shims to stop it but it hasnt cured the problem . I have glued one side to the fuselage and am about to do the other with a small link bar fitted between the incidence pegs to stiffen the fuselage at the front.

I am hoping the Showtime 50 will prove as good in the air as the 90 and if it does I will be burning plenty of glow fuel in it. Its a nice size for many people and should prove very popular here in the UK.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:30 AM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

The stab issue is a down side to a 2-piece stab, but it is very easy to cure. Just brush a light coat of finishing resin into the tube socket in the fuse to tighten up the fit of the tube. It may take a few coats but get it so it fits snugly. That will cure the wobble issue. I've had to do that from time to time even on some 40% models.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:54 AM
pollard07

I have a showtime 50 and i use JR537 in the wing and elevator, and a spectrum ds 821 do i have th right servos on my plane??
I think I need BIGGER on my wing and elevator.Should i run Digital?
Old 07-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Scott_S.

Mike, I'm installing DS821s (they come with the DX7) and they also show them in the manual.
Do you think they'll be Ok for the ST50?