RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   TEAM RCU - Mike McConville (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/team-rcu-mike-mcconville-321/)
-   -   How to become a really good pilot? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/team-rcu-mike-mcconville-321/2086544-how-become-really-good-pilot.html)

JuanSG 08-15-2004 08:23 AM

How to become a really good pilot?

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Mike!!!
My name is Juan, I'm from Spain and I'm sixteen years old. I started flying rc planes two years ago. Now, I fly a CAmodel Funky 40 (3d plane) and a CAmodel Widebody 60 (pattern plane). Here in Spain there isn't pilots so good as in others countries like USA. At my local club I'm the most young pilot and who fly more complex maneuvers and at low altitude. At the exhibitions my flights usually distinguish over the rest of the guys.
I know I have lots, lots, lots to learn and improve, and I would like to improve my flying level the maximum possible.
My favourite modality is Big Scale Aerobatics, (F3M in Europe) it is IMAC in USA? I'm building a CAmodel Extra 300L 31% that I hope fly in about a year (too much because I have to earn many money) and I want to compete with it.

I fly all the time I can, What I should to do to improve my flying level?

Thank you for all your time, and good luck in your competitions!!!!

Juan Sánchez

Dean Bird 08-15-2004 07:35 PM

How to become a really good pilot?

Juan,

I know Mike can tell you what he would recommend. I'm looking forward to any recommendations. Here's a link to an article that I printed a few years back. I haven't tried what the article recommends, so I can't speak to whether it would deliver results.

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/AwesomePilot.htm

Best of luck!!

Dean Bird
2003 Grand Champion
JR-SCAT Scale Aerobatics Series

MMcConville 08-16-2004 08:04 AM

RE: How to become a really good pilot?

Hi Juan,

I believe the best way to become an awesome pilot is to compete in some form of aerobatics. Pattern (F3A) or IMAC (F3M) are two of the best ways. The discipline you gain through that type of flying is in my opinion one of the key ingredients that separate a truly awesome pilot from the rest. Its also a lot of fun IMHO flying that type of aerobatics. The flying always has a purpose and that "perfect" flight is unattainable so its always a challenge.
Thats discipline and ability to fly with precision will carry through to freestyle or Artistic flying and take you to the next level. Do you have the opportunity to travel to some events?

JuanSG 08-17-2004 08:35 AM

Thank you very much for your answers.

Mike, I have the opportunity to travel to some events (only in Spain). Last weekend I went to the Breitling Cup (Most important F3M European competition). The problem is that here the flying level is lower than in other countries. At the freestyle routines, only one pilot did a good and low torqueroll, and a few of the pilots flying at the music rhythm. I have downloaded all the videos that I have found on Internet (some of you) and there is another world. The difference is very big. Here in Spain, 3D almost doesn't exist, and therefore the setups of their planes and their knowledge it isn't to high.
I would like to know what I should to fly to improve.

how do you create a freestyle routine?

Thank you very much

rodney tanner 08-27-2004 03:36 PM

Hola Juan,
I am a Pattern flyer with little interest in 3D, but as I see the same guys tying tourque roles and 3D stuff every week and not improving their basic skills as pilots, I thought I would add a few words. As Mike says, concentrate on the known patterns first (Pattern or IMAC). Get the precision and geometry perfected first (a never ending job!) then progress to the free style routines, with music and rhythm applied to the maneuvers. Tyring to jump straight to the advanced 3D stuff will get you no where if you have´nt got the basics. Especially rudder skills.
Saludos y buena suerte!!