RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   TEAM RCU - Mike McConville (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/team-rcu-mike-mcconville-321/)
-   -   Showtime 4D 2C Engine installation (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/team-rcu-mike-mcconville-321/3119473-showtime-4d-2c-engine-installation.html)

3dsky 06-28-2005 08:19 PM

Showtime 4D 2C Engine installation

Hi Mike
I just got your new Showtime and have a question about mounting a 2C type motor. The manual shows a inverted 2C engine but no picture of what it will look like with the muffler installed. I was thinking of putting the engine on an angle with the exhaust mounted down the center of the fuselage, any comments what would be best and do you have any pictures of 2C engines with mufflers installed? Any with mimi-pipes?
Thanks
Tom

MMcConville 06-29-2005 10:13 AM

RE: Showtime 4D 2C Engine installation

The cleanest set-up is to use a Pitts style muffler on the inverted mounted engine.

bbrundle 06-29-2005 10:54 PM

Mike I am planning on using the Evolution 100 in my Showtime 4D. Which pitts muffler would you recommend? Would you run a pull/pull set up or mount the rudder servo in the tail?

Thanks in advance

patternrules 06-30-2005 10:47 AM

Mike, I just picked one of the Showtimes very nice work, everything is exceptional but I don't and have never liked the spring loaded tail wheel, just my personal preference, way to much load if you move the rudder by hand, I changed out for the Dubro tail wheel bracket using the 559 horn adjuster to guide, the carbon tail wheel mount is great just don't like the spring thing.
Anyhow as for 2 strokes I'm using the OS 91 with stock muffler and cutting the bottom of the firewall back to the landing gear to make a mini pipe tunnel using 1/64 ply, I've done this very sucessfully on other planes so the muffler goes down the center of fuse, very clean operation and easy to do.
I bought this because of waiting to get my cataracts fixed 3 week waiting time, something I can keep close and still fly, then it's back to the pattern planes.
Hope to see you at the D4 Championships this year Amy will be mad if you don't show up and nobody wants her mad LOL.
Anyhow thanks for a great looking and well biult plane, should really be fun and I'm sure you'll sell plenty.
Steve Maxwell

Doug Cronkhite 06-30-2005 03:57 PM

ORIGINAL: bbrundle

Mike I am planning on using the Evolution 100 in my Showtime 4D. Which pitts muffler would you recommend? Would you run a pull/pull set up or mount the rudder servo in the tail?

Thanks in advance

Bill,

If you're using the Evolution 100, I'd suggest putting an 8411SA in the tail for rudder. The Evolution weighs a little over 28 ounces with muffler to the Saito 100's 21 ounces. Using a Pitt's muffler will likely be an ounce or two more than the stock.. so the rudder servo in back makes sense.

bbrundle 06-30-2005 08:09 PM

Sound like good advice. How are things with the new baby?

See Ya

patternrules 07-01-2005 03:28 PM

Just done my preliminary balance with OS 91 FX and the rudder servo needs to go in fuse by the wing as I set it at the rear position it was way to tail heavy will how ever have to add 3/8 oz. on rudder about 2 in. back from hinge line, I could and may put the servo on the bottom of the fuse at a place where it balances perfect still using a pull-pull method, I have done this on other planes to get the balance right and works great, but then may still use the aft location and move some things up front would probably work also, weight as of now is 8lb 13 oz.

Doug Cronkhite 07-01-2005 11:03 PM

ORIGINAL: bbrundle

Sound like good advice. How are things with the new baby?

See Ya
Fatherhood has been everything I'd hoped for and more. She's awesome.

patternrules 07-02-2005 01:30 AM

Ok final install I ended up moving things up front so I could use the servo in the tail, so with OS 91 standard muffler it could go either way just do the rudder servo last then figure out for your own application.

Oh didn't know you had a new girl Doug congratulations.

patternrules 07-03-2005 02:58 AM

I flew it today and it's a great flyer, OS 91 isn't the best choice for 3D but will hover it with the 16x4w apc but no vertical pull out have to push or pull over to get out, I'll try the 15X6 tomorrow as it was my favorite prop for the Epsilon.
Mike please step to the front of the class for your gold star, well built, much completed and a very good flyer, at a great price, KUDO'S DUDE.
I think the Webra 120 would be a great engine for it if you like 2 stroke's the Webra is an awesome engine a freind has one and we cut one side off a pitts muffler and welded a cap on the end and it runs perfect you will have a little weight gain over the OS 91 but the performance will be there.

MMcConville 07-09-2005 08:28 PM

Thanks. I'm really glad that you like it.

zvika 07-24-2005 01:07 PM

Did anyone tried to install saito 120 ? (according to our experience with the funtana 90 and the saito 120 - Extra power is needed here)

what will be the best solution for the muffler installation ?

idbagh1 08-16-2005 12:36 PM

I'm trying a saito 120s in my showtime but with only 5.5 inches from the firewall to the drive washer does not leave enough room to use the stock muffler. If saito made a 90 degree exhaust adapter for the 120 as they do for the smaller singles then it would be no problem to use the stock muffler as the elbow and muffler combination would clear the firewall. So, I turned to the saito flex muffler at about $40 more. It too, after installtion barely fits. The one I purchases had the pressure nipple on it. The prossure nipple is in the wrong position that I need for the showtime and it is not moveable. I tried to bend it down more closely to the pipe to gain more clearance without kinking the tube. Now, the pipe barely fits with the pressure tube rubbing against the firewall. I then bent the tube under the fuselage and still requires a cut in the bottom left corner of the cowl to clear the protruding pipe from the inverted engine installation. Does any body know a clean way to secure the bent portion of the pipe to the fuselage? Mine is just hanging there for now as there is no mention that it should be secured. Trying an APC 16X8 for the first flight.

zvika 08-16-2005 02:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
as we also found out installation of the saito 120 is no joke, either make a 90 deg coupler or use perri pump and dump the tank pressurization.

there is a thread over such an installation. you can see in the following photo ours.

also we found that APC 16x4W is better for torque roll and hovering, definitely not 16x8.

TooLy 09-04-2005 07:42 PM

What about these inverted pitts mufflers for 2 & 4 strokes ? they sure look very nice inside the cowl.

http://slimlineproducts.com/online_s...ke_exhaust.htm

http://slimlineproducts.com/online_s...rted_pitts.htm

johnboyee 09-04-2005 08:53 PM

was wondering if you managed to install the evo 1.00 on your showtime???? i have but the was told i needed an inverted pitts muffler (bison) that wasnt even out yet?... but have managed to make a spacer just to connect the stock exhaust to break in the engine... also was woundering if i should worry about mounting a 2c inverted???? other wise love the plane...should be out to field this week early...

zvika 09-05-2005 08:25 AM

Hello Roei

Those mufflers looks very nice and might go inside the showtime but the price tag and the availability here in israel can make you look for othe solution.

truckdog65 09-22-2005 05:44 AM

hi mike just chiming in on this thread i have a evo 100 put on the plane but one thig horisson never mentions is that the stock exhaust WILL NOT WORK. you have to buy some sort of pitts style muffler and chop up the cowl to use that motor. bisson makes the only inverted one ive found for the evo.100. #5611 the other alternative is a coustom one by JTEC. or DAVE BROWN horisson should tell people that before recomending this motor. thanks steve.

MMcConville 09-23-2005 09:22 AM

Yes, you are correct. The Bisson muffler wasnt available when we wrote the manual (at least to my knowledge).

jumah 08-10-2006 07:08 PM

ShowTime 4D 90 ARF it's the best plane (Pattern & 3D), and if you want realy enjoy with it ; you should be use engine 120 YS with 16x6 APC Prop, this is the best setting for showTime.
But if you want dream flying put smoke!! you will say WOOOOOOOOOOW :D

luv2fly2 08-20-2006 09:40 PM

I am just checking to see what you thoughts would be on this engine would it work for this plane?

http://www.bmeengine.com/html/point90.htm

gonzalom 12-30-2006 11:56 PM

I just got one and I was wondering if anybody have tried an electric setup on the showtime 4D 90?

Regards,

Gonzalo

talk the torque 10-21-2007 03:41 PM

Hey guys I am really interested in one of these planes. I havent been flying for about 3 years but before that flew a lot of pattern and 40% aerobatic planes. My question is about gas engines. I dont really want to go glow and the batteries for electrics are a bit expensive. I know there would be a small weight difference but are there any gas engines that could be used.... I want at least 2:1 or more power to weight ratio when ready to fly [:-]

Regards
Jason

MMcConville 10-22-2007 08:55 AM

There really arent any gas engines that will give you the performance w/o adding so much weight that it will fly poorly.

talk the torque 11-18-2007 05:13 PM

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply. I have been checking for a gas engine and also realised that by the time I get what I want from a gas engine it will be to heavy and not powerful enough. I have received my Showtime and am very impressed with the quality and design of this aerie. You got the proportions and placement of everything spot on. It is also an actractive aeroplane with very nice lines. I am most interested in puting the OS 120 AX into it and want to find out what you think as far as power and also fitting it into the cowling.

Regards
Jason