Community
Search
Notices
Thunder Tiger Engine Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about Thunder Tiger Engines here!

TT 75 FS won't fire

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 08:51 AM
Mtthwacrss
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TT 75 FS won't fire

I bought this engine second hand. It seems to have decent compression but it will not fire at all. I am getting fuel. I have a new glow plug but still no fire. I have checked and the valves are working. I don't have the feeler gage or know what should be used. Any help would be appreciated.<o></o>

Old 05-30-2013, 01:11 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: TT 75 FS won't fire

I'm presuming that you've already checked the usual stuff, i.e., the fuel is fresh, there are no problems with the fuel lines (you didn't accidentally put a tiny 1/2A fuel line to the carb?) and that the carb itself is OK, HSN about 2-1/2 to 3 turns out. You said that bought the engine used. Has the engine been apart? If the engine is otherwise in good shape, and the fuel system is OK, the piston sleeve might have been installed backwards.

Back to the piston sleeve, I think that the exhaust ports are usually higher than the intake ports.

Bob
Old 05-31-2013, 07:50 AM
Mtthwacrss
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes all the usual stuff has been checked. Fuel is not a problem I am getting plenty. I do not know if it has been apart. I will have to check the sleeve.

Thanks

Matt

Old 05-31-2013, 01:59 PM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

I'm presuming that you've already checked the usual stuff, i.e., the fuel is fresh, there are no problems with the fuel lines (you didn't accidentally put a tiny 1/2A fuel line to the carb?) and that the carb itself is OK, HSN about 2-1/2 to 3 turns out. You said that bought the engine used. Has the engine been apart? If the engine is otherwise in good shape, and the fuel system is OK, the piston sleeve might have been installed backwards.

Back to the piston sleeve, I think that the exhaust ports are usually higher than the intake ports.

Bob
No sleeve ports on a four/cycle......just say'in...
Old 06-01-2013, 04:52 PM
N1EDM

My bad... Of course, you're absolutely right. In my haste, I thought that it was a 2S.... The FS should have been a dead give-away, eh???

In that case, there are 3 things that I would look for, in this order:

1. Open the valve cover housings. Are the pushrods actually connected to the rockers? I've seen where an engine took a rough landing and the pushrods came out of their sockets.

2. How is the valve lash? It probably calls for a 0.4mm feeler gage. There has to be SOME play in the rockers, but not a lot.

3. Has the cam been properly 'timed' to the crankshaft? You'll need an instruction book to find out what to look for in timing marks.

Again, this all presumes that all the simple boiler-plate things have been checked, a good 4-stroke glow plug (OS type F or equivalent), fresh fuel, tight plumbing, etc.

Just my $.02

Bob
Old 06-02-2013, 03:11 AM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

My bad... Of course, you're absolutely right. In my haste, I thought that it was a 2S.... The FS should have been a dead give-away, eh???

Bob
No problem......trust me, it won't get any better......don't get old! ......
Old 06-02-2013, 04:02 PM
N1EDM

Hmmmm, what does the word "old" mean. I don't have that in my vocabulary...