Notices

TT 36 good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 07:34 PM
Rotcivv17-RCU
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT 36 good?

hey guys i will be reciving a nexus this wednesday from an ebay seller, and it has a Thuder tiger 36h engine, the guys at the field today told me its not a very god engine, cos it shuts off like its a joke. Is this true? Should I go with the O.S. 32SX-H?
Old 08-18-2003, 09:16 PM
Charlie

Default TT 36 good?

Some TT36's are good but not very many. I would give it a try and see what happens. It wont take very long to tell if it is junk or not. If you are going to buy a new motor I would go with the new TT39 over the OS32.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:18 AM
raiki

Default TT 36 good?

I have 2 TT36s both in Raptors.

The first one has always been really good, no problems at all. The second one took ages to get right but since then it has proved very good.

Touch wood, I have never had an engine failure on either of them yet.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:54 PM
rcmodelr

Default TT 36 good?

I've flown fixed wing and Helis with FOX, ENYA, TT, & OS engines...

In the 25 years I've been involved in model aviation, the ONLY engines I've EVER had any problems with was 1 Fox .35 R/C with a terrible vibration problem, and 2 OS engines that no matter who tried adjusting them how, would NOT stay running for more than a few seconds after take-off.

My TT .36 PRO in the Raptor has run FLAWLESSLY, has about 2 years use on it, and the needle valves have NEVER been touched after the first tank of fuel was run through it.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:04 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default TT 36 good?

I had 2 raptor 30s last year. One had OS, one had TT. Couldn't tell the diff! Both worked fine. I wouldn't hesitate to buy TT any time. Have yet to see one run bad. Lately, the new OS engines seem to be having problems. Would have to think twice about them if they keep that up.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:43 PM
rozzibandit
My Feedback: (1)

Default TT 36 good?

i have TT36H to and had a lil trouble adjusting in the mixture but like said earlier i have had absolutely no probs with it . it is strong and runs flawlesely. never had a cut out with it either . thank god cause i would of smashed her up good lol!
Old 08-28-2003, 02:09 PM
kelnet88
My Feedback: (28)

Default TT 36 good?

Hi Guys

I own a TT36H as well. Its run perfect, much more power than my OS32. Anyway watchout for the O ring at the low end needle , my O ring wear out and cause the engine running lean. So watchout for the O ring. Other than that no problem for my TT36H. I love that engine.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:51 PM
chrisgood
My Feedback: (2)

Default TT 36 good?

I had a TT 36 in my Raptor and replaced it with an OS 32. I also have an OS 32 in my Shuttle. The TT36 did have more power, but it has that nasty 1/3 throttle rich spot. I think it is because of the O-ring problem mentioned above. The O-ring gets hot, allows a leak and that 1/3 throttle spot is where the low-end needle loses effectiveness. I consistently had the engine stopping at 1/3 throttle, which is bad because that is where the engine is sitting in decent to landing. The engine has died at 50 feet and 10 feet. I have been flying OS engines in all types of planes and choppers for 18 years and have never had a problem with them. They cost a bit more, and the OS 32 does not have quite as much power as the TT 36, but I feel the reliability is worht it. Put a good pipe on and you should have about as much power as a stock TT 36 with its incredibly nice muffler. Notice the sarcasm in my voice; e.g. - if you do fly the TT 36, get a new muffler. The stock TT 36 muffler costs about $7 - you get what you pay for.

If I didn't have to replace the O-rings (both high and low) on the TT 36, it would be a good engine. I have not had that problem with any OS.

I am flying a TT 70 in my Raptor 60, and it is flying very nice with LOTS of power, but it is relatively new so I don't have much history there. Good luck.

Chris
Old 09-01-2003, 12:15 PM
vonster

Default TT 36 good?

I've flown my R30 for 2 years now with a TT36 and it finally gave out saturday. I had put over 8 gallons (15%wildcat 18%oil) of fuel through it and I got the chopper used, so I don't know how much was run through it before I got it. The crankshaft broke right between the intake and crank bearing. Luckily had time to auto it down. I am going to replace it with the TT39. $99 for the bulk engines at Heli Pros. Not a bad deal.
I also had Oring problems but I cut a piece of fuel tube about 1/8th of an inch and put it on the needle and that seemed to stop the air leak at the needle. I am referring to the high speed needle. I have never had to touch the low speed needle.
I have also heard of problems with the OS 32s. But I have had good luck with their plane engines.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:25 PM
440GTX

Default TT 36 good?

I am also a lucky one with a good TT 36.
Mine has run flawless for over 200 flights in my R 30 V1. The trick is take your time breaking them in.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:16 PM
vonster

Default TT 36 good?

I think that my motor giving out on me might not have been entireley its fault. I carry one flight box for both my planes and heli. I have been running Red Max fuel for my planes (sport 40s) and been running Wildcat in my heli. They are colored almost the same in the jug that I use, so I might have accidentally run some airplane fuel that has a lot lower oil content in my heli. It still needed replaced but it might have lasted a little longer maybe. The piston was seized, crankshaft broke.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:49 PM
BiggtBiggt

Default RE: TT 36 good?

I had a tt 36 in my raptor and had lots of problems and it finally lost all power! When I replaced the motor with another tt 36 I found that the fuel tank line was breaking down and was restricting the fuel flow. This was causing me problems of hard to set and the motor heating up. I fixed the flow problems and now have about 2 gallons through my ringed tt 36 and it is working just excellent. I believe it to be a good engine as long as everything is set right with no fuel flow problems.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:02 PM
jr8103dt

Default RE: TT 36 good?

I had TT36 on my Raptor. Initially, I had the rich spot problem but it went away after the engine completely got broken in. After some 50 flights, the ball retainer in the rear bearing got all rusted and broken. I got it replaced with a new one, but one for OS 32. For some $26, it is much more expensive than the TT part. But it's essentially an identical one. After this replacement, I put in after run oil at the end of each day of flying. This bearing got all roughened up after some 80 more flights. Perhaps the way I maintain the engine is bad or I hover too low sometimes to get all the dust in the engine? Other than these problems, I like the engine. I bought a new TT39 for the replacement. Oh boy, it is so much more powerful.