Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Thunder Tiger - Raptor 30, 50, 60, 90
Reload this Page >

BIG SCARE.swaring off training gear.

Notices

BIG SCARE.swaring off training gear.

Old 02-16-2004, 10:16 PM
3littlefonzies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG SCARE.swaring off training gear.

so I'm fairly confident in my ability to not use training gear, but i was still using mine just to be safe. also since I'm breaking in an engine and I'm not that experienced. so i was just hovering around being safe . i felt like moving around a bit and i got up to about 30 feet or so. training gear was shaking but it felt about normal. then, i don't know if it was rich and that cause some extra vibration or what,but all of the sudden,POPSNAP[:'(][sm=drowning.gif] and the training gear was falling to the ground. aaaaholy ^%#$##@%^&. but wait the heli didn't kill itself or explode . it just hung there(like a helicopter). well i decided to land . i shut down. and reflected on just how lucky i was that all 4 of the zip ties popped at the same time. i still have a perfectly fine raptor (minus training gear)

hope you all enjoy this story. it happened today

Chris
Old 02-17-2004, 12:47 AM
blvdbuzzard

Default RE: BIG SCARE.swaring off training gear.

I have read about training gear legs breaking and finding there way into the rotor disc with an unhappy ending. Glad your bird just lost a few feathers.

Dru.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:59 AM
3littlefonzies

wiffle balls and rotor blades went through my mind within milliseconds of seperation
Old 02-17-2004, 04:52 AM
raiki

I was using training gear for far too long. One day I was doing a circuit (I had done heaps before) and on decent a huge vibration set in.

The training gear shook like all hell and one of the balls hit the rotors. The training gear fell to the ground so I landed. I found a crack in one of the rotor blades afterward so I am glad I got it down quick and in one piece.

Since that day I have not used training gear.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:20 AM
ChiefG

on my heli's first flight a pilot was flying my heli for set up and checks, training gear broke loose and hit my blades and not to ever be found again, blades fine with just a nick and cut the plastic film used tracking tape to fix it...I bought those ready made, made with carbon sticks paid $15 then I built me one with wooden dowels and whipple balls which is a lot cheaper. Cut short to 30 inches to minimize vibration. After almost done with my second gallon of fuel I finally removed them and heli flies so much smoother. It made practicing circuits a lot easier. Will use the training gear whenever I practice low nose-in hovering.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:06 PM
John G
My Feedback: (1)

I had the same thing happen to me. I was about 30 feet in the air and all of a sudden I heard a vibration and up in the rotor blades went my training gear. The heli started to fall but then caught itself and I was able to come around and land it trouble free. Not what I had intended to make the transition, but it worked. The damage was only a little knick in the leading edge of one rotor blade, but one of the training balls literally was turned into itself on one side.. amazing seeing a helicopter fly out of the middle of a bunch of falling debris and not be damaged. Anyway that was my close call.. John
Old 02-19-2004, 09:16 PM
3littlefonzies

wow ! some cool stories. as an update, im off the gear and still in one peice[8D]. now im gaining more and more confidence in FF.

thamks for the stories.

chris