Notices

Why Stretch a 30 to 50???

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 12:46 PM
Jeremy300
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why Stretch a 30 to 50???

I still don't understand why you need to stretch a 30V2 to a 50V2 to use a 50 size motor. I know you are suppose to change gear ratio to prevent overspeeding the 50 BUT according to the OS50 spec, the 50 will turn at 17000 rpm comfortably. Using the 9.56 ratio of the 30 will give a head speed of 1800 at 17200 rpm. Is this overspeeding the 50??? I don't know. Other than a larger disk area and more inertia stored in the blades for autos, I still don't see the need to stretch the 30 and change the gear ratio. Does stretching the tail increase tail power because the tail disk area is not changing and its staying at the same rpm??? Could some one help me understand this??? Thanks

Jeremy
Old 04-01-2004, 12:55 PM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why Stretch a 30 to 50???

A couple folks here just crammed the engine in and loved it. The instructions with the upgrade kit actually says some people prefer it that way. i got a good laugh out of that.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:14 PM
raptor_dude

We tried to cram the engine in..it flew like a pos...wah was, over speeding, engine tuning etc. (this was with a governor on the heli)...even with the gear ratio the engine was not loaded perfectly. The longer boom and blades are the way to go. Bigger is better when it comes to helis for the most part. With the 600mm blades and longer boom it's more stable, way better for autos, loads the engine properly, does 3D like a bigger machine (nicer) and still has lots of power.

Colin
Old 04-01-2004, 07:25 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

The longer boom will give greater leverage but not a drastic change. I think the biggest advantage to the heli is the bigger rotor disk. Even running the head at 1800 with the 550s you won't have near the performance as you would with the 600s. The greater disk area is akin to great wing area on a fixed wing plane. The 600s will give nearly a 20% increase in area at virtually the same weight. Also, relating to planes, bigger props are more efficient. A set of 550s at 1800 rpm can't produce the same thrust as a set of 600 at the same 1800 rpm. I run my R50V2 at 1900 in idleup2. It's very crisp and responsive plus it doesn't lose much headspeed under load.
my $.02 ,,,basmntdweller
Old 04-09-2004, 10:24 AM
ImRich

Basically you need to match the engine power to the proper load. It's sort of like selecting the proper propeller (diameter and pitch) for a plank engine.

Since the 50 has so much more power than a 30, then you need a larger rotor to give the appropriate load to the engine (don't forget the proper gear ratio also).

Since you are putting on longer main blades to properly load the engine, then you need a longer boom so your main blades don't interfere with your tail rotor blades.

Then since you have more torque, you may also need larger tail rotor blades than the 30.

With the larger main blades and such you will have a much better flying machine.

Yes, you can run the 50 without doing all of this things, but you may not be happy with the results. It won't hurt to try it if you like, just order the motor mount from the R50V2 (I'm not sure if the stock 30 motor mount will fit) and bolt in your engine and see. You can start changing parts as you like to test the performance.

Or, do it the proven method, get the 30 to 50 conversion kit.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:10 PM
Spaceman Spiff

i did the conversion on my first 30, bought a second heli as a 50 kit. just lovem, they have been in my trunk every weekend for almost a year now.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:00 AM
bgruenba

ORIGINAL: Spaceman Spiff

i did the conversion on my first 30, bought a second heli as a 50 kit. just lovem, they have been in my trunk every weekend for almost a year now.
Do they just stay in your trunk or do they actually fly? Just kidding.

I've been giving some thought to converting the V2 to a 50 V2. As I understand what everyone is saying, the cost involved in running the 50 in terms of crashes is minimally more than the same crash in a 30. True or false?

The benefit, as I understand it, is that the 50 is easier to fly. True or false?

I am running a GY401 gyro, JR DS811 digital servos on everything except rudder (Futaba S9253). Would I need to go with better servos or gyro?

I am thinking about buying a second heli at the moment and I was toying with buying a Raptor 60 kit. I'm still learning (read that as "crashing frequently" ) and have been concerned that a 60 would simply cost me a lot more to learn on. Is it worth rather just buying a 50 kit?

My problem is that I'm generally crashing before I have really had enough flying time on the sticks. I would get more stick time if I had two helis to crash in a weekend rather than 1

regards,
Bruce
Old 04-23-2004, 12:46 PM
Prophex

get the 50, not the 60. They are much more expensive in repearing.

about the gyro and servos, they are fine don't get other ones
Old 04-23-2004, 01:47 PM
Spaceman Spiff

The 50 autos better, flies a littel faster and smoother, the head speed never boggs down in aerobatics, the engine never overheats, and is not sensitive to tuning (OS 50), but if you are just hovering and getting started in forward flight it is not that much different. normally i recomend the 50 to start, but since you already have the 30, if it isn't obvious that you need more power at this point, the 30 will do just fine for a while longer, saves money on fuel too.