Notices

Raptor 90 ??

Old 07-05-2002, 01:50 PM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 90 ??

How many guy's are flying the Raptor 60 with a 80 or 90 engine?
What's your set-up?
Old 07-05-2002, 05:18 PM
steve9534

Default R90

Mine's still a work in progress. I started with an R60, and have been slowly converting it. The essential elements are a larger pinion, different clutch lining, and the metal fan. My stock fan was pretty badly warped and doesn't blow a lot of air anyway. The upgrade fan is better in both respects. I used a YS80, 680mm blades, 11/93 gearing, and the standard length T/B for a long time with very good results. I'm playing with the longer boom and 710mm MS FAI blades at the moment, and like this combo a little better. It's a little more stable and the autos are better. I just put on the 95 tooth main gear which reduces the bogging in tight funnels. The stock clutch will die in short order under the power of an 80 or 91. I did better with some lining material from Hirobo on the stocker, but the best fix is the 91 clutch and bell available from HeliHut. It only cost $41.00 for the clutch, bell, and liner; and the longer T/B and drive shaft were about $30.00.
The heli otherwise has held up pretty well to some moderately hard 3D. I put some metal flybar control hoops on it from the start, but I'm not sure they're necessary. The 3D fins look cool, but I couldn't tell much difference flying. Maybe the sideways loops are a little better, but the difference is minimal. So far, the only failure has been the clutch and liner. If you're going to do 3D, some different paddles are a must as the cyclic rates are pretty lazy with the stockers. I'm using MA white paddles with good result. Even with the heavy FAI blades I get plenty of cyclic authority.
Total cost for all the mods - clutch, bell, fan, gears, longer T/B and drive shaft, paddles, and fins is only about $160.00 and it's still a Raptor when it crashes with correspondingly cheap repair parts. Not everyone will agree with this last statement, but I like the way it flies as well as my Xcell or my Vigor, and fly it a lot more than either of the others. Hope this helps. Steve.
Old 07-05-2002, 06:07 PM
fritzthecat
My Feedback: (4)

Default Raptor 90 ??

I have about a gallon or two through my R60 with the OS91. Running the 12 tooth pinion and 93 maingear. I may try the 94 maingear in the future. Hover at 1650 and upstairs at 1800 rpm with 680 blades. The original 60 clutch was pretty much gone after a gallon, the 90 clutch seems to hold up much better. I added metal A arms and flybar hoops, a 24oz fueltank, Mr. Carbon frames on top of the metal frames (very rigid and still lighter than the TT heavy frame), extra bearing on pinned torque tube. Rick's O ring upgrade, metal fan (plastic one is junk) and a metal swashplate. I'm now experimenting with Curtis' Perry pump setup.

Fritz
Old 07-05-2002, 06:32 PM
Furyflyer2

Default Raptor 90 ??

Should I go YS or OS ?
Old 07-05-2002, 06:39 PM
Furyflyer2

Default Raptor 90 ??

fritzthecat- did you modify the torque tube with two bearing blocks?
Old 07-05-2002, 11:29 PM
fritzthecat
My Feedback: (4)

Default Raptor 90 ??

I simply installed an additional TT bearing and holder in the boom. I didn't have a drill press to pin the torque tube ends so I wrapped string around the tube and end piece and saturated it with CA. Rock solid. The tube was - like all TT tubes - about as straight as a Louisiana politician. The extra bearing helped in reducing the tail vibes. Next time I'll get the arrow with replacable ends.
Fritz
Old 07-08-2002, 01:49 AM
Furyflyer2

Default Raptor 90 ??

I found a Guy who machines out his own bearing holder for the toque tub, so I have that coming and I have a new YS80 on the way to. Does anyone think its necessary to upgrade the frames to graphite?
Old 07-08-2002, 02:00 AM
steve9534

Default Raptor 90 ??

Sorry, I forgot, I'm using a 2nd bearing also. I don't know why you'd machine your own, they're only about $7.00 with the bearing. You cant buy the bearing alone for that. Steve.
Old 07-08-2002, 02:03 AM
Furyflyer2

Default Raptor 90 ??

Originally posted by steve9534
Sorry, I forgot, I'm using a 2nd bearing also. I don't know why you'd machine your own, they're only about $7.00 with the bearing. You cant buy the bearing alone for that. Steve.
These are Machined Alum with rubber o-rings.