Notices

Raptor head speed

Old 07-27-2002, 12:38 AM
psmitty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor head speed

I have a Raptor 30 with a GV-1 and am still deciding on good headspeed. Right now I am flying it at about 1700 rpm for aerobatics. This seems a little sluggish to me. I've read a few pages that recommend a headspead of 1900+ rpms for 30 size helis. What is the common headspeed out there? If it helps I'm using MS composite blades with light paddles (KJS or whatever). Heli is powered by an OS-32sx with a Weston pipe. I usually run 15% Cool Power.
Old 07-27-2002, 02:24 AM
Bluto

1850 to 1950 is good for areobatics.
Old 07-27-2002, 02:51 AM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

I run nothing over 1750 on a Raptor 30 . Their is no reason to run anything high than that.
Old 07-27-2002, 11:06 AM
Bluto

1850 to 1900 RPM is pretty much standard a lot of people run 2000 but I don't recommend that At hover RPM should be set at 1650. If you try to do areobatics at 1750 you run the risk of in flight boom strikes. Now here is the important part if you run wood blades keep it on the low side around 1800, composite blades 1850 to 1950.
Old 07-27-2002, 12:35 PM
Pete OConnor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bluto
1850 Now here is the important part if you run wood blades keep it on the low side around 1800, composite blades 1850 to 1950. [/QUOTE

I'd go even further and suggest not to use wood blades for aerobatics. Using wood blades is like putting "street tires" on a race car. If you want to do aerobatics, put the right blades on. IMO, the SAB standard glass blades are a best buy for the money.
Furthermore the wood blades compared to the SAB's, suck for autos. Plus, besides that, "we all know" the woodies love to "woof and puff" on demand.
Pete
Old 07-27-2002, 12:46 PM
Pete OConnor

Originally posted by Furyflyer2
I run nothing over 1750 on a Raptor 30 . Their is no reason to run anything high than that.
I like the lower head speed for lazy inverted putting around, too. However, I've found that you will have problems running the lower 1,750 speed which you suggest, when performing larger and faster sideways loops. At the slower head speed, the tail must compensate with more pitch because it is spinning slower. Then, if you make any error in tail input, the blades will over pitch trying to keep up and screw up the maneuver.
So, running a faster head speed, IMO, allows the tail to hold better without needed quite as much pitch.
Have you noticed this problem when doing "your" sideways loops????
Pete
Old 07-27-2002, 12:56 PM
Furyflyer2

Originally posted by Pete O'Connor

I like the lower head speed for lazy inverted putting around, too. However, I've found that you will have problems running the lower 1,750 speed which you suggest, when performing larger and faster sideways loops. At the slower head speed, the tail must compensate with more pitch because it is spinning slower. Then, if you make any error in tail input, the blades will over pitch trying to keep up and screw up the maneuver.
So, running a faster head speed, IMO, allows the tail to hold better without needed quite as much pitch.
Have you noticed this problem when doing "your" sideways loops????
Pete
Well actually I'm not flying a 30 size engine , but a OS 50 w/ a governor so I really don't notice any problem with sideways loops or flips.
Old 07-27-2002, 01:18 PM
Bluto

Actually the wood blades are great for learing to auto, I would never recommend learing with expensive blades unless you have cash to burn. Pete O'Connor is right as far as the SAB's being better for auto's, just a little expensive to replace them when you have a boom strike and you will have one when learning.

He's also right about areobatics, but once again the wood blades will take you through loops, roll's, flips and inverted. When you advance beyond these maneuvers then you will want to get better blades.

I've run several sets of wood blades all TT 550's on my Raptor 30 and I never had a set that woofed, so to make a broad statement like
"we all know" the woodies love to "woof and puff" on demand.
is bit ostentatious. I know it will happen but in a lot of cases its not the blades that are causing it, and in some it can be cured with a simple adjustment of the throttle and pitch curves, however there are those that defy all explanation.

Now when it come's to 50 and 60 sized heli's I always recommend a good composite blade, fiber glass or carbon, I just don't feel safe running wood blades on 60 sized helicopters and the 50's develop so much power you can easly over stress the wood blades. I have run wood blades on my 50 but only because I couldn't wait for UPS to deliver the Carbon blades I had on order.
Old 07-27-2002, 02:14 PM
Pete OConnor

Originally posted by Bluto
Actually the wood blades are great for learing to auto, I would never recommend learing with expensive blades unless you have cash to burn. Pete O'Connor is right as far as the SAB's being better for auto's, just a little expensive to replace them when you have a boom strike and you will have one when learning.

He's also right about areobatics, but once again the wood blades will take you through loops, roll's, flips and inverted. When you advance beyond these maneuvers then you will want to get better blades.

Well Finally, another guy that is as much a "pain in the Ass". about correctness as myself. Glad to meet ya!! FWIW, decent wood blades, that "I would use are about $25. In our club, being able to buy SAB glassers for under $40 delivered, IMO, is worth the difference in price. Also, the SAB's "basically" never need balancing, so the amount of time and effort to balance the woodies, again, makes the SAB's more practical.
Continuing, I must disagree about learning autos with woodies. And please Bluto, comment, since I realize you and I can disagree without getting "catty". OK...... so, my reasoning for not using the woodies, is first, the price is not that different (under $15). Next, doing the auto for the first couple of times is really scary, plus a mistake will cost more than a set of blades, not to mention rebuild time. So, "anything" to make the first efforts easier is "priceless". And, for a mere $15 (pricing difference), IMO, the SAB are a best choice, Furthermore, the woodies just plain suck for autos, and in a bad situation, even a good flyer will have their hands full trying to auto the woodies. So, why use the woodies, which are really not easy, at all, to auto.
Oh, and we don't to hash over the "W and P" problem, , but wouldn't you agree, the SAB's go a "long way" to fix and eliminate the problem. And the woodies, because of the rear CG. and rearward center of blade lift, exacerbate the problem. That is, for the average, everyday, run of the mill newbie????
Pete
Old 07-27-2002, 03:31 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Pete, I must disagree on the wood blade thing also, Ill have to go with Bluto on this. Yes $15 is a cheap upgrade to me also. BUT, I have wood blades on my raptor and had wood blades on my Xcell60. I am not a hard core 3D flyer yet, but do all the flips and inverted stuff. So I am learning.

I have the TT36 and a govenor set at around 1750 for my 3D mode.

I have done ALOT of auto's on my wood blades on my raptor, Personally, I have not had a problem yet and I learned auto's on it. I usually have enough head speed to 'hover' for a couple seconds at 1' before touching down. I have never had a woofnpoof ever. All the club members up here can attest to this.
They are very cheap, and fly fine to me. Someday I will put some good blades on it, but I have no reason to yet.

Just my opinion.
Old 07-27-2002, 03:37 PM
Pete OConnor

Originally posted by JohnVH
Hi Pete, I must disagree on the wood blade thing also, Ill have to go with Bluto on this.
Just my opinion.
Hey, no problem. We just disagree..........
Pete
Old 07-27-2002, 06:00 PM
Bluto

Pete, good reply, no need to comment we have both pretty much said all that needs to be said. Now get out there and fly, I'm stuck indoors thunderstorms and high winds what a way to ruin a Saturday.
Old 07-28-2002, 01:59 AM
Pete OConnor

Originally posted by Bluto
Pete, good reply, no need to comment we have both pretty much said all that needs to be said. Now get out there and fly, I'm stuck indoors thunderstorms and high winds what a way to ruin a Saturday.
We can't let egos get in the way of the most important thing.... FLYING, FLYING, and more FLYING> :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 07-28-2002, 02:05 AM
Furyflyer2

Originally posted by Pete O'Connor

We can't let egos get in the way of the most important thing.... FLYING, FLYING, and more FLYING> :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Good advice...
Old 07-28-2002, 04:11 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, I wish all people had these outlooks!! Great