Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Thunder Tiger - Raptor 30, 50, 60, 90
Reload this Page >

Blade Types-Wood, C.F., Fiberglass????????

Notices

Blade Types-Wood, C.F., Fiberglass????????

Old 11-11-2005, 02:58 PM
yellowbird911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade Types-Wood, C.F., Fiberglass????????

Could someone please explain the advantages/ disadvantages to Wood-C.F.-Fiberglass blades, can't find any good info on the net. I just bought a Raptor 60, have been flying a Raptor 30 and can do some light 3d stuff. If the wood blades are SAFE and OK for mild 3d than great that is what I will use. Don't need expensive blades because of my flying skills that is for sure, but really don't want to throw a blade and hurt someone, including myself.

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:04 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts
Default RE: Blade Types-Wood, C.F., Fiberglass????????

Wood Blades. Hits= cheap, adaquate for training and basic aerobatics. Misses= need balancing, can give tracking problems at higher rpms, wont run the rpms needed for more than basic aerobatics, can flex under load, auto poorly.

Carbons. Hits= more efficent airfoil so they perform better aerobatics, come balanced, track perfectly, stiffer so they wont flex under load, heavier so they auto much better, allow higher head speeds for advanced aerobatics. Misses= cost more.

Fiber glass is somewhere in between.

Heliproz sells good carbon blades for reasonable prices, try them you will like them. http://www.heliproz.com
Old 11-12-2005, 05:30 PM
NIpilot
My Feedback: (6)

Seems so much is made of the idea that somehow wood blades are not safe? I think that is just so much hype and crap. For the great majority of flying the wood blades are mostly capable and the emphasis has to be on the fact they are (cheap). Carbon blades are smoother, more efficient, more rigid and therefore quiet. I for one like the carbon blades because I'm lazy and don't want to screw around with balancing and fussing with wood blades. Not because they are not safe. After a person gets beyond tipping over and wrecking their helicopter on a regular basis, its just more satisfying to fly the nicer blades. Hey, this is America. If wood blades were so unsafe, the lawyers would already own this hobby also. Don't believe all the hype. Buy the better blades because of performance, not because your scared of wood blades.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:41 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

The not safe notion is true to a point. Wood blades are ok but they really arent designed for higher head speeds AND that assumes they are put together correctly by the end user. If the blade grips aren't glued properly then they are an accident waiting to happen, for whatever reason ACE or TT gives you the option. So properly balanced and properly assembled they are fine for mild aerobatics. To fly modern 3d with them on a powerful helicopter at high head speeds, I don't think is a good idea.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:52 PM
yellowbird911

Thanks for the info. Think I will run wood for a little while until I get to the point that I would actually notice a difference. Being a beginner I just don't have that good of a feel. Again thanks for the input.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:26 AM
WhtBronco

It's a good idea to run the wood blades until you get better at flying. You're right, you won't notice the difference at first anyway. Once you start to get smoother and more consistent at flying you'll notice a difference.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:53 PM
tkalogiros

For me there is only a choice between Carbon Fiber and Wood.

Wood - Perfect for learning to hover. Thats it. If I am in forward flight I am confident enough to fly higher end blades. I found constructing balancing etc a hassle. After a few flights, the plastic would always tear and the wood would get saturated with fuel causing great unevenness/wobble/vibration/noises etc.. I hate risking a $1,000 machine because I saved $30 on blades, besides the plastic on the wood is almost always going to tear at some point. which means you will have to buy more wood and so starts a bad cycle that could be avoided with CF. Wood also causes the blades to drag. They are not that aerodynamic and the plastic covering inflates in flight.

Fiberglass - Why would I get fiberglass blades when they cost almost as much as carbon fiber? If they were significantly less expensive they would be good choice. No plastic covering, good balance etc.. I would prefer to spend $60 on CF than $50 on glass.

Carbon Fiber - Once you are done learning to hover and are trying forward flight, make your move to CF blades.

If you are not prepared to drop some cash, you are in the wrong hobby.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:41 PM
jschenck
My Feedback: (23)

My R50 is flying wood blades - I'm just getting to the point where I can flip and loop. But I've seen good pilots flip/loop/roll and hover upside down just fine with wood. They all say that the glass/CF are smoother etc.. but wood works just fine. Don't spin them to 1800+ RPM and ALWAYS glue them.
another + I found recently is they break on impact easily. I did a somwhat minor dump from 8' or so. Broke the landing gear, bent the spindle& flybar broke the blades.
But I did not bend the main shaft and the tail boom didn't take a hit! The main shaft was saved (I think) because I pulled the throttle (mistake) and the blades broke easily. I bent the spindle/flybar because a big chunck of the blade threw up into the flybar. pretty minor damage considering.
Anyway, I've told myself "wood until I fly 5 gallons w/o breaking them"
Old 11-15-2005, 03:24 PM
sdavied
My Feedback: (4)

I noticed an immediate difference in how the heli "felt" when I switched to CF. Now, I fly nothing but CF.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:20 PM
dannyboy123

If I got c.f. blades would it make my raptor 30 any harder to fly or should I say hover. My covering is coming off my blades and I might aswell get a new pair. I can now hover at any height without the training skids and hover at 90 degrees in either direction and am going to shortly attempt forward flight.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:25 PM
sdavied
My Feedback: (4)

I wouldn't say it is harder to fly, just feels a little different. They are more responsive in both cyclic and collective pitch inputs. Better, in my opinion.