Notices

Ok now I'm scared!

Old 03-17-2006, 05:27 PM
spitter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ok now I'm scared!

I was thinking about the raptor .30 are they worth it. do you have to do alot of buying other parts to get them to fly
Old 03-17-2006, 08:49 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

They fly very well right out of the box.

Follow http://www.raptortechnique.com to build it and its hard to go wrong.

Stick with an os engine, the 37 would be ideal, a decent gyro and servo and some mid range servos and you should be good to go.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:20 AM
FORGED

qoute: By the way, the H22A series of '4 banger' Honda engine is famous for having a whole lot of torque. But you knew that already right?

compared to what? straight six v six v eight, bloody ricers!
Old 03-27-2006, 10:35 AM
VinceN

ORIGINAL: DebianDog

It was a joke. I had an SRT-4 for a few years. 4 bangers are O.K. But... I will stick with V-8 RWD for the track.

OH BTW an H22A with a stock 200HP and 160 pounds of torque is by no means impressive... but good for a Honda.
The H22A with 50shots feels pretty good in my 1900+lbs civc hatch
....this has gone totally off-topic
Old 03-27-2006, 10:50 AM
H0ndaJunkie

Yes it has, but this is my thread, so it's ok with me.

A year ago, I took a 1992 Honda prelude with a crappy F22A1 engine to a local autocross event and beat an older corvette, and a Camero SS......among several others.........so it's not about how many cylinders you have, that's for sure.

I'll take rice over American trash any-day ;-)

The Honda S2000 still has more horse per liter than any other car in production. 121 horse per liter.......that's engineering. :-)
Old 03-27-2006, 10:58 AM
vertigo72480

yes, but remember, horsepower doesn't move a car, torque does. Not to mention your math is a little off, but the S2000 only makes 162 lb.ft. at 6800 rpm. It makes its maximum horsepower at 7800 rpm so you never get to use all the horses efficiently. On the other hand, take the Nissan Z, it makes 287 horses at 6200 rpm, and 274 lb.ft. of torque at 4800 rpm; a much lower offset. While neither car is a 1:1 ratio of horsepower to torque, it take less effort on the engine to get the Nissan rolling. Thusly showing that the Nissan engine is far more efficient. I've owned both Nissans and Hondas and I agree with you, I'll take rice versus domestic any day. Right now, my little Sentra gets me where I want to go comfortably and fuel efficiently. I just wish it would morph into a Titan.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:13 AM
DebianDog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When YOUR Honda or Nissan is running low 11's let me know. Camshaft and a 100 shot of N2O does that for me, heck if I changed the gears in back I could probably squeak out a high 10.

I here that crap all the time from the ricers at the track. They are LUCKY to have high 12 second cars. Hell my dead stock SRT-4 ran 13.9@99 MPH. All the little ricers came running over like it was fast or something. Too much work and money to make an import REALLY fast in the 1/4 mile.

As a racing track car... sure I would probably rather have an import. Yes, I have seen fast imports at the drag strip but they are a RARITY usually $50,000 Supra modified to a large single turbo.

But getting back on topic torque and Honda... LOL right!!! The reason ricers race from a roll? FWD and no torque. Never understood it till I had the SRT-4 then it was obvious.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:21 AM
vertigo72480

How about a 1972 VW Bettle that runs 12s. The one I frequently work on runs 12s and we have the time slips to prove it. Not to mention it's in full street trim, and not gutted to crap. My Nissan will never run 12s or anything close. It's not worth the investment. If I want to make a 4 cylinder go fast it'll be an old school VW, probably a Kharmann Ghia too. For the time being, the current domestics are lacking in quality, fit, and finish. There is a noticable difference in quality between the two schools of thought.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:46 AM
DebianDog

Actually my old next door neighbor has a 12 second turbo Beetle. A Beetle make a Honda look like a fat pig. They weigh nothing.

Of course the guy across the street had an 8 second Mustang so in comparison we were the slow guys on the block. There is always someone faster.

My buddy threw a GIANT turbo and iron block in his Firebird it is no joke either.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:59 AM
VinceN

I find it amusing that the infamous "import cars vs domestics" make it way to a RC heli forum! I have respect for both world, but it's a fact that domestic can go fast for little amount of money, but gas milage does kinda suck.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:48 AM
BarracudaHockey

Moving along now, lets keep this on as a helicopter discussion please.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:05 PM
H0ndaJunkie

Sorry baracuda, you're right. It was fun while it lasted though. ;-)

I still haven't even test-flown my raptor, so I still haven't got the chance to test my crazy high torque servos. I've yet to see a day where the wind was low enough for me to hover-test properly. I've been looking for a nice calm day, so that I don't make alterations, thinking that it's out of trim, just because of the wind getting in the way.

It's easy for me to fly-test my Rexes, because they're so small, and I can do it almost anywhere. The Raptor on the other hand is very large, and very noisy.

To tell you the truth, I'm still scared sh$%less of it! :-)
Old 03-30-2006, 12:36 PM
DebianDog

ORIGINAL: barracudahockey

Moving along now, lets keep this on as a helicopter discussion please.
Sorry old habits die hard

Well the wind is down and I am going flying today. Except, I am breaking out the BIG CONDOR GASSER!!!
Old 03-30-2006, 01:41 PM
BarracudaHockey

Wish you were closer to Florida Dan, I'd sure like a crack at flying one of those.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:07 PM
DebianDog

ORIGINAL: barracudahockey

Wish you were closer to Florida Dan, I'd sure like a crack at flying one of those.
Come to IRCHA I will let you fly it there. I am gonna -try- to make it to IRCHA SE this year. I know you will be there right?
Old 03-30-2006, 02:53 PM
BarracudaHockey

Now that you mention it, I do have another weeks vacation to use this year.