Reload this Page >

Preventing Accidental Throttle-Up

Notices

Preventing Accidental Throttle-Up

Old 02-15-2006, 09:16 PM
HighRPM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preventing Accidental Throttle-Up

Is there a way to prevent throttle-up while carring the Helicopter? I am very nervous carrying the Heli and Radio while the engine is running. The thought of accidently hitting the throttle stick is scary... my radio is a 9cap
Old 02-15-2006, 09:22 PM
skyad

Default RE: Preventing Accidental Throttle-Up

Easy set the throttle hold for the same percentage as idle on the throttle stick
Old 02-15-2006, 09:38 PM
HighRPM

Easy enough, thanks...............
Old 02-15-2006, 09:57 PM
Motions

It's usually best practice to put your thumb on the gimble above the stick while carrying the radio. This allows you to give a small bit of throttle if your engine loads up but also prevents the throttle from being hit accidentally.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:26 PM
RCer22

You should get into the habit of settng the throttle hold when starting it up.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:49 PM
H0ndaJunkie

sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, but since my engine was in the heli when I bought it, and I'm yet to test the engine or install the throttle servo, which way should the throttle lever turn to close the throttle........if I'm looking at it from that side of the engine? I'm scared of starting it up with the throttle open
Old 02-15-2006, 11:10 PM
HighRPM

What type of engine do you have? My OS manual shows a mark on the Carburetor Rotor, when this mark is pointing towards the intake its wide open or also all the way right is closed and left is open. This is for a OS 37SZ..

I had the same fear!
Old 02-16-2006, 12:44 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

I just hit the throttle hold switch and start it up. Then when the heli is on the ground and ready to go flip the switch and hit the power.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:46 AM
tippy

ORIGINAL: H0ndaJunkie

sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, but since my engine was in the heli when I bought it, and I'm yet to test the engine or install the throttle servo, which way should the throttle lever turn to close the throttle........if I'm looking at it from that side of the engine? I'm scared of starting it up with the throttle open
Not only does the throttle barrel rotate, it also moves inboard and outboard as the barrel is rotated. On my OS32, the barrel moves outboard at open throttle and inboard at closed throttle. The movement is slight but noticeable. Can't promise your carb barrel works the same but it's a way of telling which way it should be at startup without having to look down the throat of the carb.

Good Luck,
d.tipton
Old 02-16-2006, 07:07 AM
Motions

The best way to check the throttle the first time you start the engine is leave the glow ignitor off. Turn the engine over with the starter and see what the engine sounds like. If it sounds loaded, then you have the throttle wide open. If it sounds pretty lean and quick, then it's closed (or idle).
Old 02-16-2006, 07:41 AM
brunobl

ORIGINAL: Motions

It's usually best practice to put your thumb on the gimble above the stick while carrying the radio. This allows you to give a small bit of throttle if your engine loads up but also prevents the throttle from being hit accidentally.
I do this too. Especially since the TT engine sometimes (first start of the day, still cold) will have a hard time keeping a relyable idle. Minute ajustments with the thumb on the gimbal helps to keep the engine "alive" while carrying the heli to the flight line. A few seconds later it will idle OK (I allways throttle down to idle from near take-off RPM to check this, prior to getting it off the ground).
Old 02-16-2006, 08:20 AM
motorsports

I have attached a rubber band to the handle, run it down the back, across the bottom and up to the throttle stick. Works in a pinch. Just pop it off and you're ready to go.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:55 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Start it in throttle hold, leave the glow starter battery hooked up till you set it down and then pop it off and throw it in your pocket (no keys or bullets in there is best) and you have the best of both worlds, the thumb method wont work of you trip over something or drop the transmitter.