Notices

OS 50 vs. OS 50 HYPER

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 07:49 AM
samstar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 50 vs. OS 50 HYPER

Hi,

I currently have a Raptor 30 with an OS37. Now looking into buying a Raptor 50. I would definately go with the OS engine but is it really worth getting the Blue Head Hyper? Is it that much better than the standard OS 50?

Also, I will be looking for a new governor. I have experience of the GV-1 which is accurate and reliable but not so user friendly. Can anyone recommend a different one as I fancy a change?
Old 02-27-2006, 10:14 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: OS 50 vs. OS 50 HYPER

I fly Revlocks with all my birds with great success, they are simple to setup and dont need any twiddling once they are set right.

As for the hyper, yes IMO its worth the extra few dollars. The head has better cooling and the carb has a bigger throat which gives it more power and its a noticiable difference, I've flown the sxh and the hyper on the same helicopter.

The down side is more power = higher fuel consumption and the 50sxh makes very good power. However having done the upgrade on one heli I have since done it on the rest. Same with the governor, once I flew a revlock on my new EVO, I put it on everything I own.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:47 AM
carlyle

I'm not sure about the fuel consumption difference between a SXH and a Hyper, but one thing I can tell you, is that the Hyper is a thirsty engine. I just got one a week ago, and I've had about 6 or 7 flights with it... It seems to burn fuel at a rate of twice as fast as my OS 32 does. Flight times are around 8 and a half minutes for me. I'm sure I will be able to increase this number to 10 minutes or so, but I'm going to take my time when leaning it out.

As far as the governor, I have a GV1 governor that came with my hyper 50 when I got it. I've got it working, and it seems to hold a very consistant RPM, however, I'm not 100% happy with the programing of it yet. There are still some bugs to work out.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:20 AM
woodlayer
My Feedback: (56)

Yes, the Hyper is very thirsy--But here's how you can turn that thirst into even more power! Of course it will cost you. Install a 60K three needle carb. This is the same carb that comes on the OS 70 SXH. Not only will you get more power out of the engine (like it doesn't have enough already) , you'll have better mid-range and smoother transition. ( After you tweak all of your curves ) Your Hyper 50 will become SCARY!! I can't believe that OS doesn' t offer the engine like this already. Actually, this mod will benifit the 50 SXH as well--cheaper than going with a stock Hyper.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:08 PM
nate1001
My Feedback: (2)

Will the 60k carb simply slide into a 50 sxh or hyper without any mods?
Old 08-25-2007, 08:32 PM
spaceboy427

has anyone ever actually done the 60k carb on a 50?
Old 08-25-2007, 09:24 PM
mxracerx43

Like everyone else states. Hyper = more power. BUt that does come at the cost of more fuel consumption. I have both engines and althought the reugular 50 runs great it does load up faster than the Hyper. Now about this 60 carb mod? Has anyone else done this? I like the sounds of more power. How much harder to tune the 3 needle. I am thinking may be easier because you do not compromise a richer idle setting for a little leaner mid.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:12 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: mxracerx43

Like everyone else states. Hyper = more power. BUt that does come at the cost of more fuel consumption. I have both engines and althought the reugular 50 runs great it does load up faster than the Hyper. Now about this 60 carb mod? Has anyone else done this? I like the sounds of more power. How much harder to tune the 3 needle. I am thinking may be easier because you do not compromise a richer idle setting for a little leaner mid.
i absolutely LOVE my 3 needle os70 on my raptor 60. after the learning curve its super simple to setup. I've got a os 50 sxh that i've been wanting more power out of. i guess next time i have both heli's apart for maint. i'll check to see if the carbs will interchange between the 2.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:34 PM
soop7667

ORIGINAL: samstar
I will be looking for a new governor. I have experience of the GV-1 which is accurate and reliable but not so user friendly. Can anyone recommend a different one as I fancy a change?

I recently installed a Throttle Jockey Pro on my Raptor Titan 50. I'm running the OS-50 Hyper as well. I can't speak for the GV-1, or any other Gov, because I have no personal experience with them. I do fly with guys that have GV-1's exclusively though, and I can say that their heli's throttle response sounds funny to me. I can hear their throttle vary at times when they do hard maneuvers. I've also read quite a lot about differences between the TJ Pro and the GV-1. I've found it most prevelant that users that have used both say the same thing. The TJ Pro has better response. Personally, I tell this Gov what speed I want the engine to go, and no matter what, that's what it goes. It was very easy to set up, it supports "Super Servos" (Servos with a high frame rate such as digital servos), and I've heard again and again that there is a huge difference between a GV-1 VS. a TJ Pro with a digital servo. I highly reccommend it. There is no confusing digital read-out, you simple hook it up - Throttle, Throttle Servo, and Aux. During the initial set-up you just move your throttle stick to both extremes, and you're calibrated. Then you just set the Aux channel to output certain rates for certain speeds. I used an Optical Tach to verify my headspeeds and I was done. I run 3 different head speeds, you can command as many speeds as your radio allows. Smaller than a GY-401 and About $100. My 2 Cents
Old 08-25-2007, 11:38 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: soop7667

ORIGINAL: samstar
I will be looking for a new governor. I have experience of the GV-1 which is accurate and reliable but not so user friendly. Can anyone recommend a different one as I fancy a change?

I recently installed a Throttle Jockey Pro on my Raptor Titan 50. I'm running the OS-50 Hyper as well. I can't speak for the GV-1, or any other Gov, because I have no personal experience with them. I do fly with guys that have GV-1's exclusively though, and I can say that their heli's throttle response sounds funny to me. I can hear their throttle vary at times when they do hard maneuvers. I've also read quite a lot about differences between the TJ Pro and the GV-1. I've found it most prevelant that users that have used both say the same thing. The TJ Pro has better response. Personally, I tell this Gov what speed I want the engine to go, and no matter what, that's what it goes. It was very easy to set up, it supports "Super Servos" (Servos with a high frame rate such as digital servos), and I've heard again and again that there is a huge difference between a GV-1 VS. a TJ Pro with a digital servo. I highly reccommend it. There is no confusing digital read-out, you simple hook it up - Throttle, Throttle Servo, and Aux. During the initial set-up you just move your throttle stick to both extremes, and you're calibrated. Then you just set the Aux channel to output certain rates for certain speeds. I used an Optical Tach to verify my headspeeds and I was done. I run 3 different head speeds, you can command as many speeds as your radio allows. Smaller than a GY-401 and About $100. My 2 Cents

I've got the TJ revmax *its a rev LIMITER, not a governor*. does the same thing though. Very easy setup, and allows me to use multiple speeds. i'll let ya know how i like after tommorrow.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:19 PM
stevehickey6

hi all a bit of info needed

i have just purchased a raptor 50 with a os engine

on one side it says 50 on the other side it says os max sx is this same as the os engine you are mentioning here ? because mine has a silver head not a blue one

i am trying to get manual as one was not supplied with it and not sure if i have right one

any help much appreciated
Old 10-30-2007, 06:10 PM
nate1001
My Feedback: (2)

That should be the regular 50 motor, not the hyper
Old 10-30-2007, 08:24 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: spaceboy427

has anyone ever actually done the 60k carb on a 50?
Yes, it is slide in easy to install. Learning to tune it is not THAT difficult, but it is different.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:16 PM
stevehickey6

thanks for your replies all

i have managed to download manual now i know which engine it is
thanks
Old 11-15-2008, 08:32 PM
rcgirl1987

Hi,

Can anyone tell me where I can get bearings for my OS 50 HYPER?

Old 11-16-2008, 10:39 PM
Human_Enigma

http://rc-bearings.com/catalog/index.php
Old 11-18-2008, 01:24 AM
Thrashaero

I take it the regular OS-50 is discontinued? doesn't seem to be an option on towerhobbies or the O.S. site.
Can the regular one be converted to a hyper by just getting a new head and carb?

I have 2 of the darn things and only one helicopter they can go in. I don't know why I bought 2...i had a raptor 30 v1 that i smashed 5 years ago and was in the process of converting to a 50 v2..let it go and only got around to it recently to finish the job. I don't think I can sell this extra regular 50 anymore..
Old 11-18-2008, 12:07 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Yes I believe the 50SXH was superceeded by the hyper and yes the only difference is the head and carb. The way the engine runs, and its extra fuel consumption comes from a larger carb throat, the head provides some additional cooling effiency but if you want a 50 sxh to run like a hyper slap a 60L carb on it.