Newbie Raptor 30V2 radio setup W/6EXAS

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 08:16 PM
josefmd
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Raptor 30V2 radio setup W/6EXAS

Hi,

I was wondering if it even possible to use my Futaba 6EXAS non heli radio to fly my Raptor 30 V2? I bought the heli used and
it is RTF and just needs to be setup with a new radio. I have read through the Raptor manual on how to setup the various pitch setting on the heli and have read must of the info on http://www.raptortechnique.com/. I am trying to avoid buying a new radio as of right now, and will be doing the basics like hovering, etc for a while. A couple of guys at my club told me that it's do able with this radio, but what I have learned by my research, you will not have the throttle curves, throttle up, etc without using a heli type radio.
I don't have unlimited funds(wife being the boss in all) so one of the other opinions I have been considering is buying a 7C do to the reasonable price. Can anyone give some basic technique on using a basic radio to fly a raptor in the meantime.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 04-30-2006, 06:14 AM
Charlie

Default RE: Newbie Raptor 30V2 radio setup W/6EXAS

I was wondering if it even possible to use my Futaba 6EXAS non heli radio to fly my Raptor 30 V2?
That radio will work, mind you it's not a good radio for helis. It doesn't have pitch curves, you have to set your hover pitch mechanically. Put your stick at half stick then set your helis pitch at +5, then use your ATVs to set your pitch on the top and bottom. The other problem with that radio is, when your in idle up and inverted you only have 60% of your throttle, you can hover inverted and have a little bit of power to climb out but that about it.

You can learn the basics with that radio, but you would definitely want to get yourself a new radio once you advance past forward flight.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:23 AM
jez33

if thats a radio thats not computer then as above says you can just about use it but its not going to be anywhare as friendly to set up as a computer type trany and also i wouldnt be tempted to do much more the hover and upright ( none inverted ) flight..

why not sell the trany you have now and put a little bit more money towards a computer type,,they are cheaper then you think as it isnt a necessity to buy an expensive one but ofcause as the saying goes the more you can aford the better the product !
Old 04-30-2006, 09:03 AM
tippy

The 6EXA also doesn't control channel 6 with the throttle stick so you will have to Y- your pitch servo to your throttle ... welcome to 1970.

By trying to save money and not buy a heli TX, you are more likely to spend more money because the heli setup will be so difficult to set and fly. Do yourself a favor, go to an RC club/field and see if any plane flyer wants a new TX and sell the 6EXA (could try eBay also to sell your TX) and use the money to get a computerized heli TX (ie 7C or 9C). They have the programming for not only heli, but also acro and sailplane. Plus with a heli TX, you won't have to open the TX to disable the bumpy/ratcheting throttle stick ... heli TX's come with the throttle movement already smoothed out.

Good Luck,
d.tipton
Old 04-30-2006, 10:23 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

If you are trying to save money, RC helicopters probably aren't for you.

As Tippy said, life would be much more pleasant with even a rudementary helicopter radio.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:17 PM
carlyle

thats true. I'm not sure the cost of a 6EXH or whatever it is... the heli version of the radio you have now. It would make your life so much easier, and it would be able to get you in the air much easier.

If you do advance, you WILL want to upgrade your radio. You might even be upgrading your radio before you upgrade your helicopter. I'm not sure if that radio can do cyclic to throttle mix's.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:23 PM
josefmd
My Feedback: (24)

Thanks fo the input gentlemen! I am going to invest in a better radio like you all have suggested since I have outgrown the 6EXAS anyway with my 3 planes. I am just going to be doing the basics for awhile, no inverted, 3D, etc. I am going to have a buddy at my hobby shop come over on Tuesday to help me get squared away with the setup in the mean time.

Take it easy,

Matt