Notices

Raptor questions

Old 02-08-2002, 05:51 PM
Ergo60
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor questions

:rainfro: Let me start off by stating that I am not trying to down, or bash the Raptor, I just have a few questions about them.
(sorry, but I just had to try the rainfro smile, plus it is in line with the friendly attitude of this post)

Knowing the following list of problems that people have with them, why are people so drawn to them, and recomend them to beginners?

1. Woof and Poof which has been know to cause boom strikes
2. Clutch and liner problems.
3. Tail rotors that seem to disassemble them selves.

I have been toying around with the idea of getting one as a "try new stuuf" bird, to savemy Ergo from possible harm, so I am seriousely looking for peoples reasons for sticking to the raptor with such a tight grip. If my Ergo had these problems when I started out I do not think I would have bought 3 more of them.

So let me know what you think, and again this is not a bash session, I am just currious. What you fly is your choice and as long as you are happy with it, thats all that really matters.

Thanks
Old 02-08-2002, 06:07 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Raptor questions

that is exactly why I got mine, now I have had two. mine was stock, and worked flawlessly from day one. Very cheap crash kits, flies great, and everyone has parts.
The problems you list are not only to the raptor, but majority is owner related. I fly 3d with the stock wood blades, never had a w&p or tail dissasemble and my clutchs worked fine.
This is my experience having two of them. but hey, its still a inexpensive plastic heli
Old 02-08-2002, 06:16 PM
Scotty740

Default Raptor questions

I'll address those issues with my experiences with 2 Raptors That I have been flying for the last 2 years now. Each has probably over a hundred flights on it.

1. woof and poof

I had it occur with one machine using glass blades. I never had a boom strike because of it and don't know that it could cause one. The blades go out of track and make a lot of noise but have never had any damage that I've known from it. I cured it by doing a simple blade flip. I flew the machine for a long time without it happening and don't know why it started other than from wear and looseness. My other machine has the Quick UK swash plate and metal washout base and has never had that problem.

2. Clutch

Both machines have original clutches and liners in them. I did replace one liner and clutch shortly after the machine was built due to a crash and wide-open throttle at that time. Since then I have had no clutch failures at all.

3. Tail

Using the stock setup on both machines with no problems. I do check the nuts that hold the tail blade holders on and did find them loose a couple times. I check them and keep them tight and haven't had any problems at all. I did see a buddy of mine set his down too hard and drop the tail into the dirt and it broke off the screw and he lost a tail blade.

I'm not writing this as an absolute endorsement of the Raptor as I know there are other better machines out there. It's cheap, durable and easy to repair. I got one to try and since I know what their weaknesses and strengths are I've stuck with them as my throw around machine. With attention and care in assembly and good maintenance they do the job and work for me.
Old 02-09-2002, 02:07 AM
Knighthawk08

Default Raptor questions

As a novice helicopter pilot, the Raptor 30 being the first I bought. I bought it simply because it was a cheap alternative to get into RC Helicopters. In my opinion I think that a lot of the bad rap this heli is getting is because of people who dont go thru the kit or ARF very well and check things out. As much as we would like to believe the people assembling these helicopters probably are not expert helicopter flyers.
Old 02-09-2002, 07:13 AM
X-Cellant
My Feedback: (1)

Default buy the Raptor

Go ahead and buy the Raptor. The 30 size Raptor is worth every cent you are going to spend on it, and then some.

Dave
Old 02-09-2002, 02:07 PM
JPBIII

Default Raptor

I would recommend getting the Raptor 50 , it is a much better value than the 30. It comes with a lot of extras that the 30 doesn't have. Good muffler, metal swashplate,R- 60 tail hub and grips,frame brace and 60 size type tail boom supports.
Old 02-09-2002, 02:44 PM
squirrel

Default Raptor questions

The CRaptor is the cash cow for the Hobby shop dealers and online heli stores. Are you going to push a product that will last along time or aggressively push a product that will keep the buyer coming back? Well, the answer is obvious if you intend to stay in business. The only people that praise the CRaptor are the ones with something to gain or this is their very first heli and have nothing to compare it to.

Fred
Old 02-09-2002, 02:47 PM
JohnVH

Default Raptor questions

wow, you couldnt be more wrong! :stupid:
Old 02-09-2002, 03:40 PM
tittelba
My Feedback: (19)

Default Wrong!

Dead wrong squirrel,
I have a R30 that I can compare to a Ergo 46 and Ergo 60 and friends who have all most every other heli. Of course the raptor is in a differenct class but for the price and cost of repair...the raptor is a good value. I have nothing to gain by recommending the R30 to anyone.

Regards,
Tom
Old 02-09-2002, 03:51 PM
Metalizer
My Feedback: (24)

Default Raptors

NUTS !!! Change your diet. RAPTORS RULE
Old 02-09-2002, 03:55 PM
Dyehard

Default Raptor questions

Squirrel, do you have an R30? Pretty strong opinion, unless you have flown one,yourself, long enough to find out if the stories are true. The R 30 I have was acquired used, don't know how much total time is on it. It has every bearing that was in it when I got it still in it, and that and the ball links is where most heli's wear. It is dead stock except for the paddles, it doesn't have any of the reported problems. I don't know of any of the half dozen or so flying locally that have any of those poblems. I run mine anywhere from 1700 to 2000 on the head, no woofs or any other problems. With the stock woodies and KSJ paddles, it will roll as fast orfaster than a X-cell or Futura with 180 gram graphites and 25 gram paddles. It has been crashed several times, it always flys exactly the same every time it is rebuilt. It is not supposed to be the ultimate 3D ship or and Fai ship, only a bigginers ship or one an advanced flyer can improve his flying with without emptying his wallet evertime it crashes. At those two tasks it is as good as any thing out there, better that most. There may be some R30's with problems, there are thousands without any. These are my opinions, and I don't make a dime off this hobby and while I still consider myself a beginner at times, I figure I've been flying heli as long as anyone one this forum, a lot longer tham most.
Old 02-09-2002, 07:43 PM
Phil-RCU

Default Squirrel strikes again

Many KNOWLEGIBLE & EXPERIANCED heli users give praise to the Raptor line.The only problem I can determine is jelousy on the part of some users who have had bad luck due to inexperiance in setting one up.
Old 02-09-2002, 10:00 PM
ArnS

Default Raptor 30 report

Iím on my second Raptor 30. First one was all stock with the 49 bearings and OS32H engine with the TT muffler. Used Futaba radio, 9202 servos and the GY401/9253 gyro combo. Learned to hover with it and then into FF flight. Didnít have any problems with it but checked and tightened up anything that might get loose (which wasnít very often) after each days flying. Crashed it on my 123rd flight because I got too far out and got disorientated on a very overcast and dark morning.
My second one is also stock with 49 bearings except I am using V blades on this one and a TT36H engine. Radio gear and gyro is the same as above. I have this one set up with more collective and that with the V blades makes this one a little more responsive. Have 19 flights on it so far and am really enjoying it. The second kit took about a day and a half to assemble and set up. Flew great with very little trim required on the first flight. Throttle and pitch curves required some changes and fine tuning. I think the Raptor 30 is a great buy for the price and is great for learning as well as more advanced flying.
Arn
Old 02-10-2002, 12:15 AM
Profile Pilot

Default Huh?

Fred, you have been eating too many nuts

John B.
Old 02-10-2002, 12:59 AM
tisrich

Default Raptor questions

I like the Raptor so much I have 3 of them now. They are extremely versatile and powerful machines even in their stock form. Hobby shops carry parts for them because a lot of people buy them, and besides they're fun. Makes sense to me.
Old 02-10-2002, 06:23 AM
Flying-Cowboy

Default Raptor questions

Well it doesn't look like a bash on raptor thread, it look's like a bash on squirel...........I just want to say I have 3 nexus and at first I hated them learning the basic 3D's, but now that I can do most thing's with them I like them. My flying partner has a raptor 30 that he just upgraded to the 50 with and I have flown it a bunch of times and I am really impressed with it. We fly every single day and I haven't seen any of the thing's people claim about the raptor's besides the clutch did break on about the 7th day but we were doing some hard drag racing with it. I am really impressed on the roll or flipping rate the raptor has. I have been thinking about getting a freya but I really think I am going to go with the raptor just because the drop in price for replacements, and I am just a backwoods poor oaky.

Jason
Old 02-15-2002, 12:19 PM
jtthebiggafigga

Default Why I love my raptor

I stepped up or should I say over from planks to an eco 8, then to my raptor.

I love the raptor cause upgrades are cheeeep,
(cyberheli has a fiberclass canopy for $30)

flies fine for $300 to $500 depending on choice of combo.

Put on a 50, 4mm flybar and V-paddles and watch the hell break loose.

So fast I can barely keep up with it sometimes, and plenty of power to get out of trouble in low altitude antics.
Old 02-15-2002, 01:47 PM
squirrel

Default Raptor questions

Yes, I did have a Raptor for about 1 1/2 years. The straw that broke the Camel's back was the fly bar breaking. Needless to say it is beyond repair. Here are just a few examples of what happened:

2nd flight >> front landing gear broke and snapped the corner off the main frame.

Clutch went out
TT36 would not run even with upgraded needle
TT36 main bearing lost the cage
Plastic pulley belt broke
Swash is extremely sloppy
Blade broke while in a gentle inverted hover.
tail boom braces

The list goes on and on and on....................

Fred
Old 02-15-2002, 02:01 PM
JohnVH

Default Raptor questions

the landing gear just broke in flight? what happened to the boom braces?
Old 02-15-2002, 06:12 PM
Phelip

Default Raptor 30/50

Raptor 50 is my third heli. First one is a Shuttle 30 and then I bought an xcell se. My Shuttle is not good enough for 3D and the xcell is too expensive( and troublesome to repair ) to throw around, so I bought a Raptor 50 to practise and I absolute love it even in stock form.

I believe Raptor is a good machine as long as you build it with respect. It is cheap but it is still a heli and deserves proper attention and some experience is useful. One new guy at my flying field also has a Raptor 50 and he had a lot of problems ( wah wah poof poof ??? ) with it initially but soon after he got some help, we can see his face wearing a grin after every flight.

There is no perfect helicopter. If one wants to pick bone, there are always enough bones even in an expensive machine like Freya EX WC or Caliber M60.

There is some worthwhile upgrades you may consider in your Raptor 50 just to make it better. Try the metal washout and metal blade grip ( from an Asian online store ) which enable the blades to track a LOT better.

I totally disagree with the conspiracy theory that LHS/Online stores purposely push Raptor becasue it makes them a bucket loads. Will they sell you Raptor if you want to buy a Pro2K? They'll make more on high end machines and parts.

Why would they suggest Raptor then? To get more people into the hobby and the Raptor is really good value for money. Hopefully as their skill grows, they will start buying high end machines.

Phelip
Old 04-04-2002, 01:40 AM
Magicd1

Default Raptor questions

Hello could you someone please help me I got a raptor and everytime I try to take off the tail starts shaking like crazy. My gryo is working in the right direction what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

David
www.LandJump.com
Old 04-04-2002, 03:08 AM
JohnVH

Default Raptor questions

turn down the gyro gain.
Old 04-04-2002, 03:25 AM
Magicd1

Default Raptor questions

Thanks for the help from your friends at: www.LandJump.com
Old 04-04-2002, 03:46 AM
RcNorth

Default Raptor questions

Ergo60

Here are my reasons for getting a Raptor

- Cheap entry into trying helis
- No upgrades needed to fly 3D, so a 2nd machine, or a bunch of upgrades aren't required for quite a while
- replacement parts are cheap and available locally
- Raptors are being flown by others in the area, so getting help is a lot easier.
- Simplistic setup. Although I have nothing to compare this to.
- I know I stand alone on this one, but I actually like the looks.

I did have a clutch shoe go on me after 4 gallons, but while learning I had a couple of hot starts, hard landings, and 3 crashes. $30cdn for a new shoe

Dean
Old 04-20-2002, 02:15 PM
Magicd1

Default Help!! Raptor 30

I was just out flying the raptor and flew fine, but when I shut the motor off and turned the rotor head counter clockwise it makes a funny noise but when turned clockwise it does not is this normal?

Also as soon as my motor stops the tail rotor stops and the head keeps spinning is this also normal?

www.LandJump.com

Please help!!!

Thanks,

David
[email protected]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.