Search
Notices

OS 50 Hyper - DEAD!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 08:54 AM
soop7667

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 50 Hyper - DEAD!

What a bummer!!! There I was, tearin up the sky and all of the sudden - Blurp! Motor coraks. I pulled out the piston, and sleeve, and I've got little metal bits imbedded into the piston and head, not to mention the scoring in the piston O.D. and the ring. I'm guessing that my bearings went and sent this schrapnel into the cylinder bore. Looks like I'll be getting the replacement parts as well as a new motor. Next time I'll have the old one standing by, ready to go. The big plus is that all that time spent practicing autos really paid off and I was able to perfectly land the heli less than a foot from the heli pad. It still sucks though!
Old 10-29-2007, 09:49 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts
Default RE: OS 50 Hyper - DEAD!

the more i see "issues" with the hyper the more it makes me want to wait for a YS to get in stock... good to hear the auto practice paid off though
Old 10-29-2007, 10:03 AM
devens

Didn't I read that you over reved your motor soop by starting it with no load?

My OS 50hyper has never died on me. I did do a good break-in and I use a venom temp sensor so I know it has not been abused. I was flying in 35 degree weather Saturday morning. Bumped it for a second and it started. Walked over sat doen my starter and the spooled up! I do have a slightly bent cooling fin on the head from a hard nose in crash tho.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:10 PM
soop7667

Yup - I over-revved that motor like 7 mos ago when I first got it, and again when my heli had a major malfunction throwing a blade in mid air. over-all - the Hyper has been a great engine. I don't know if I'd go with a YS, but I do hear the YS is just as powerful, and I also hear they don't have issues with the bearings in them. I have a friend who's been flying helis for 10 yrs, and more yrs with planes. He runs YS in all his 90's, and he loves them. He does have to replace the bearings in his 50 hypers though more often than he should.

OS is going to repair my motor under warranty. In the mean time, I'm getting another for a spare, and who knows, maybe I'll end up with another heli to put that spare engine in.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:42 PM
devens

ORIGINAL: soop7667

"and again when my heli had a major malfunction throwing a blade in mid air."
So how does the Raptor fly with only one main blade? I bet the trim is a little off! How did that happen BTW?
Old 10-29-2007, 01:28 PM
soop7667

I was a noob with Raptors and Nitro helis, and I had just programmed my stunt modes, allowing negative pitch and having v-shaped throttle curves. I was used to electrics. On my t-rex 450 I could punch negative pitch while up-right without any problems. I liked pumping my collective sometimes...made the heli look like it was bouncing along. Unfortunately, I didn't think about how an ESC governs the motor, and how a nitro engine, without a gov or an ESC didn't. It was my inexperience that did it. So there I was, running wood blades, punching negative pitch, and I kept on wondering why my engine seemed to keep accelerating. Then before you know it, BOOM!!! It was a loud boom, then the engine going "wannnnnnnnnngggg" until it burned up the fuel it had left in the header tank, and she floated down like a lead weight. I spent 4 days going through that tall brush looking for parts, and the only thing that I never did find was my secondary recceiver for my AR7000. I also didn't have my wood blades glued to the blade boss like the instructions said. All contributors. So when the blade flung off, and I'm guessing that my head speed must of been at least 2500, one of them didn't. That was a big imbalance, and when the other blade swung twords the rear of the heli, it tore then entire frame in three. The servo tray and front part of the frame went south, the main shaft bearings, still attached to the plastic piece of frame that clams them down went up, and the tail boom and piece of frame that clamps it down went North. The canopy went east, and the rest of it went in every other direction immaginable. It was quite a sad day for me. By the time I could hit my hold switch, the blade that flung off was landing at my feet 200 yards away from where it exploded in the first place. A good lesson learned, the hard way again. It took me 4 months to get over it and buy the repair parts.

Today I'm much more savvy with the heli, and what I can and can't do with it - not to mention I run a gov. now.

Pics were taken after the crash, and again after repair from the crash.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71988.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	792923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93231.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	792924  
Old 10-29-2007, 11:57 PM
devens

Can you say ROFLMAO if you don't know what that means PM me and we will trade it in e-mails.

Lets just say I haven't laughed so hard in a long time! That was great play by play. Believe me when I say I was laughing with you not at you! Glad to see she is reserected! Looks like it took a very high preist to perform the reserection.

D
Old 10-30-2007, 01:26 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Yup - I over-revved that motor like 7 mos ago when I first got it, and again when my heli had a major malfunction throwing a blade in mid air. over-all - the Hyper has been a great engine. I don't know if I'd go with a YS, but I do hear the YS is just as powerful, and I also hear they don't have issues with the bearings in them. I have a friend who's been flying helis for 10 yrs, and more yrs with planes. He runs YS in all his 90's, and he loves them. He does have to replace the bearings in his 50 hypers though more often than he should.

OS is going to repair my motor under warranty. In the mean time, I'm getting another for a spare, and who knows, maybe I'll end up with another heli to put that spare engine in.
The YS and OS 50's have identical bearings, they are the same exact part. The only advantage the YS has is the built in crankcase pressure/fuel regulator system which simplifies tuning, makes changes due to ambient weather almost non existant and adds 70 dollars to the price. I dont have anything against YS motors, they are very high quality. But supply is short and parts are almost nonexistant in the US and they cost more to boot.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:36 PM
fiveoboy01
My Feedback: (3)

That wreckage pile looks very similar to mine.

I had a blade throw a weight on Sunday, 2nd flight on the blades and the heli.

Resulting carnage:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87294.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	793622  
Old 10-31-2007, 09:52 AM
soop7667

Your blade threw a weight? WOAH - What kind of blades and what kind of headspeed were you running? I'd say a letter to the manufacturer is in order - I think they owe you some parts.

On another note - Got my new OS 50 Hyper yesterday. One of the LHS in town changed ownership a few weeks back and the new owner is great. This guy has some real integrity and seems to be a real nice guy. He's building a Raptor 30 for a customer and he has no heli experience, so I've been giving him pointers and he asked if I could do a final check on it and test flight to trim it out. I agreed to do it for nothing and he wanted to give me 20% off my purchase - I said it wasn't necessary but he insisted so I ended up walking out of there with the engine, 3 glow plugs, a gallon of fuel, and some nuts and bolts for the same price that I was going to pay for the engine in the first place. Last night I put my fan and clutch on the new motor and mounted it in the heli. I broke my ground lead end for my glow igniter, so I ended up making a new one since I had none. It worked out really well becaue the shape of it put the wire running right along the frame and you can't even see it anymore. Hell...I'm going to put black shrink tube on my gov. lead and run that in the same place - It'll be almost invisible. Bummer that it's halloween today! I've got to carve pumpkins and get my kid ready to trick or treat instead of finishing up and starting the break-in. O well - Tomorrow is another day, and besides that - I'm taking off all next week just to go fly - I just hope it's all broken in by Sunday so I can rip up the sky.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:38 PM
fiveoboy01
My Feedback: (3)

Your blade threw a weight? WOAH - What kind of blades and what kind of headspeed were you running? I'd say a letter to the manufacturer is in order - I think they owe you some parts.
Ha, Align isn't going to give me crap, they might send me another set of blades which I'll use for paint sticks. No comfort when a new(to me) heli is severly broken.

Details here:

http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t383277p1/

[/quote]