Notices

Sevo Advice for a Newbie!

Old 05-12-2008, 10:52 PM
wb4qcd
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sevo Advice for a Newbie!

Hello Folks,

I need some advice on what servos to procure for my Raptor 30 V2. I have found little info anywhere telling me what torque and speed is required. I know the tail servo needs to be fast and most likely a digital servo to work with the gyro. I will probably go with a 401/9254 combo here. Can the throttle servo be a general purpose servo or does it need to be something special?

Now, what torque and speed do I need for the rest of the bird? Do I need high speed, metal gears, high torque, etc...? Can I use analog servos something like the Hitec HS-635's or 645's or do I need to stick with digital servos?

I have a new Spectrum DX7 with DS821 servos. I have been advised by the local flyers not to use these servos. Do they have a high failure rate? Is there torque and speed rating insufficient for a 30 size heli?

Any comments and advice would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
DL
Old 05-12-2008, 10:58 PM
mxracerx43

Default RE: Sevo Advice for a Newbie!

I would no use the DS 821's as you where advised. I crashed a freinds (who insisited on using them) Raptor 30 due to a failure.
You can use a standard servo on the throttle a Futaba 3151 is a good choice. Relativley inexpensive but it is still a digital.
In rfact you can probably us the 821 on the throttle. I would recommend Futaba 9452 for your cyc. if you plan to stay involved
in the hobby and do any aggresive flying.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:36 AM
highlander84

i use Futaba 9252 and i love them smooth and have plently of power. no problems from them. I usa all Futaba products reciver, radio, gyro and servos. Thay all work flawlessly. Now it my TT39 worked like the rest of my heli.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:30 AM
mxracerx43

9252's are a great servo also. But you can get the newer 9452 for a few $ more. It has better transit and torque specs + it uses metal gears.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:19 AM
calnev4bob

I have good luck with HT digital mg servos. For the tail rotor a Futaba 401 gyro with a high speed Futaba servo, 9252. I use this setup on my Raptor 50 heli. very successfully

Old 05-13-2008, 02:51 AM
highlander84

ORIGINAL: mxracerx43

9252's are a great servo also. But you can get the newer 9452 for a few $ more. It has better transit and torque specs + it uses metal gears.

That is correct, However the 9452's must be ran at 6V in order to have the 128oz-in, if ran at 4.8 they are identical (minus the metal gearing).
Old 05-13-2008, 07:16 AM
elecfly

I use DS589's . They arent that expesive , good performance and digital , and on the you cant go wrong with the 401/9254 combo.
If you want to upgrade to a 50 later and spend money now on the servos , buy 6975 or 6965's
Old 05-14-2008, 11:09 PM
wb4qcd
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks for all the replys and advice. I truly appreciate your time and trouble to respond.

I'm currently shopping for 9252's and possibly HT 5645's. I have one new HT-6635HB and thought about procuring two more of these but the torque rating is only 69 oz/in. I can buy 5645's for the same money with much higher torque rating but not as fast on the response time. I've got it in my mind that all my servos should match except for the tail and throttle. I won't mix brands either except for the throttle and tail rotor.

I still haven't found any info telling me definitely what torque and speed I need for a 30 size heli. I'm not going to be doing any 3-D stuff in my life time, HA! I'll be thrilled to learn to hover, fly around, and land in one piece. I know, I know, simulator and a lot of help at the field.

It is amazing how many servos are out there on the market in the $50 to $70 range and higher with so many different torque and response ratings and not always is the more expensive one the one with the best specs or higher ratings.

One final question, I noticed some of you are using the 9252 for the tail rotor. For the type of flying I'll be attempting and hope to accomplish would not the 9252 serve my purpose just as well? I'm trying hard not to get into the "penny penching" mode but am trying to polish a few corners when I can. I'm down to procuring four servos to have everything to complete this project.

Again, let me say thanks to those that responded and good flying to all.

DL