Search
Notices

blades for Raptor 30 V2

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 11:23 PM
evilhorse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: blades for Raptor 30 V2

more RPM = more response. I say 190 because with MY setup thats where the engine seems to be happiest. JP- the third mark to the left of the carb is 1/2 throttle you want it there at hover stick. and yeah i think just a LITTLE rich! give her another click or so and you should be right there. also I never play with my low speed needle really, i set it for a good idle and a smooth transition and thats it. Havent touched the low speed in about a year.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:18 PM
jpwamt86

ok well i turned the normal rpm, back down to around 1600 alot more stable for a noob. If i even get into stunt mode, that around 1900, but i long ways from that. but damn that scary check the rpm, that it really spinning [X(]

where would be a good stick position for hover, i notice that im hovering between half and 3/4 stick do i want to adjust that or is that ok?
Old 06-05-2008, 12:21 AM
evilhorse

i personally like 3/4 stick, and set my pitch to be the same in any mode, that way there is no "Jump" when you hit the switch, as for that 1900 RPM I hope you have an aluminum headblock, i hear the plastic ones wear out quick at that speed. the raptors seem happy at around 1850 for 3d.

Personally, i also like headspeed, normal is 1700, 1dle one is 1800 and 1dle2 is 1850. practice on the sim, you'll progress quite quickly.

This is my second raptor 30, i totaled the first one along with the receiver and gyro in the first crash.
Wife bought me this one 2 days after and in about 35 flights im ready to do loops and rolls. Vibe 50 HERE I COME!
Old 06-06-2008, 09:58 PM
jpwamt86

no im all stock with the plastic head. In normal mode im at like 1650 or so that 1900 i got was in idle up but i wont be useing that for a while, which im gonna turn that down anyway. Need to get forward flight down first.

I heard it wise to practice autos as soon as practical so in the even something dose happen, the heli might be saved. My family has a farm with are own private air strip which i used for flying my RC planes, and took the helicopter down their once. My question is sense it mades of grass, would it be wise to practice auto somewhere else on a hard surface so it can slide a little if need be. For landing the heli if i tranistion into a hover from forward flight i can usually set it down nice and soft with no horizontal movement or very minimal, all of this has been done tail in. I havent done a whole lot of tail out hover yet. Im just a little worried when i start with autos, if i cant cant come to a hover before setting it down in grass.

I guess ill just have to practice autos on the sim more
Old 06-06-2008, 10:20 PM
jschenck
My Feedback: (23)

I agree that you should start practicing auto's as soon as you can but don't push it too hard. In my opinion you should be very comfortable with flying circuits around the field and transitioning into a hover on command. I wasn't really comfortable with nose in hover when I did my first auto's but I could easily and comfortably fly up and transition to a hover by flipping the tail around. Also I do believe that landing with baby auto's (from about 4' or so) really helped me get a feel for the final approach from the auto.

Any you absolutely hit the #1 trick - practice on the sim until it's just natural. hit the throttle hold at any moment and practice getting it on the ground. You can even setup the sim to randomly cut or "fail" the engine. If you wreck on the sim, try and figure out hat you did wrong. Then practice that exact same maneuver until it's easy to land from that situation. This goes with any uncomfortable recovery. I had a real issue with recovering awkward tail first slides until I practiced on the sim.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:36 PM
jpwamt86

yea the last time i flew it i did a little nose in hover maybe 20 ft in the air didnt seem to go too bad but i wasent their long, but when i hover real low like 5ft and below i will start tail in and try to just gradually push the tail around when i get close to the tail 90 degrees from me it seems like i loose it a little bit, i will then hit the tail back towards me and correct. Or should i be doing nose in up high so if do give a wrong input, its not the end of the world. i have room for error.

And ive done little auto like 5' or so like nothing, ive actually puposely ran it out of fuel twice while i was hovering so i guess im practicing a little bit. And the one time i had an engine issue and the engine quit like 15-20 ft in the air. I just dropped collective a little let it come down and gradually gave it some tell she hit. it hit a little hard, and bounced but didnt break anything or tip over

hopefully the wind wont be blowing 100mph tomorrow night and i can get her up again.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:31 PM
jschenck

sounds like you are ready! it'll be fun, I really like auto's. remember, a bit of wind does help as does forward speed

http://ronlund.com/autos.htm
Old 06-06-2008, 11:44 PM
jpwamt86

yea little wind, i dont feel like playing in 20-30mph wind for the first times that the forecast tomorrow. I dont know what forward flight it like with wind, but when ive flown in maybe 10mph or i guess just hover and i dont like how the heli bounces all over place from the wind gusts. Mainly bounces up and down, but i think that expected. maybe actuall forward flight you dont notice the wind much just hovering?
Old 06-06-2008, 11:59 PM
jschenck

I'd say you don't want anything gusty. Ideally a steady breeze. Also, start off with a high headspeed. If it doesn't feel right bail. Maybe try the high idle throttle hold trick.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:28 AM
evilhorse

I'm gettin pretty good and I dont fly in 30mph! you definitely wanna practice Auto as soon as you get a good handle of forward flight, and also practice flying on the sim in ALL orientations, and alos autoing in all orientations.the Impala .30 is good for practicing autos on Realflight G3.5, it comes down so quick and has such little blade energy that if you can auto that, you can auto anything.
For your first full on auto attempts you want a nice little breeze 10-15 mph, its best to keep the wind under the blades when trying your first few autos, help give you some extra headspeed.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:03 PM
jpwamt86

what do you mean by keep the wind under the blades?
Old 06-08-2008, 12:05 PM
evilhorse

The breeze will help keep the blades spinning longer while your applying negative pitch, also when you add Positive pitch it will provide a little extra lift.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:34 PM
jpwamt86

Well after test flying a trainer for my cousin i decided to do some heli flying today. Im suprised how these handle in the wind, the wind was id guess 10-15mph. I flew my heli better than the trainer but i guess the trainer had a little cross wind, no cross wind with helis hehe... Well ran about a tank out of forward flight, my turns need a little work as they look kinda of ugly unless i bring it almost to a hover and spin it around with the tail. After doing that for a bit i tried my first auto. Got some forward speed, hit the throttle hold.... Well i dont think i gave it enough negative collective as i think i lost head speed. I landed a little hard which cause my blades to strike my horizontal fin and tail boom which just put a little dent in the tail boom, so could be a hell of a lot worse. This happend with about a 1/4 tank left and i flew around a little bit to almost empty the tank after the boom stike. Probably not the best idea after a crash ( if i would even call it that) but i didnt notice any differance

I think im going to adjust my thottle hold so i have a little bit of power, i actually had it too low, cause the engine died when i did the auto.

Could i just pull this apart and see if i can push the dent out? My biggest concern is the belt rubbing on the dent, i dont want that to snap then we got problems haha

Also do the fins provide have any in flight use, I know the vertical one helps so you dont hit the tail rotor on landing, but do they do anything. Im wondering i should replace that or not

Ohh and i got a Revolution one piece muffler with a exhaust deflector. OMG it is so nice not to have gallons of oil dumped on the side of the heli
Old 06-09-2008, 09:32 PM
jschenck

You might be able to pound that dent out by pushing a tight fitting socket down the inside of the boom - BUT be dang sure there is no metal fractures. Also check your blades out very carefully, hate to have one slung off at someone. If I were you I'd take the spindle out and roll it on a flat surface, it's likely bent. Might chekc the main shaft while you are at it.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:14 PM
evilhorse

The fins help tracking in flight, i would take the blades and chuck them, there may be damage under the covering you don't see. as JS said try pounding a tight fitting socket down the tube, if that doesn't work tail booms are only a couple bucks anyways. I have that revolution Muffler, its quiet and gives decent power, how does your heli fly with it.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:15 PM
evilhorse

also to check the spindle shaft, remove one blade and take an allen wrench and turn the feathering shaft using the bolt, if it feels tight, or you see the opposite grip wobble that means you bent it.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:57 PM
jpwamt86

ohh it was flying awesome with it. seems alot quieter, and with the exhaust deflector i get like no oil on the heli, maybe i can keep it some what clean now. the socket works perfect, besides of scuff mark on the paint where it hit you can barley notice it. I know i should know this but im not excatly sure what the spindle is, I was thinking the fly bar, but ohh i guess theirs a shaft that the blades grips ride on? sorry im a noobie and it was a long ass time ago when i put it together so im trying to remember this stuff and i dont keep my heli and manual at home so i cant just look it up, unless thier is an online manual somewhere?. Took me awile to figure out how to get the tail off and back together to push that dent in the tail out, but its fixed now

So would you suggest replacing the fin or just leave tell i get some more skills, just a corner is missing on the horiz. on. You think i should still chuck the blades, their is no visible damage that i can see. I dont want to be chucking carbon blades if i dont have too, not the cheapest., but they fly ohh so nice
Old 06-10-2008, 11:52 PM
jschenck

The spindle is the shaft connecting the two blade grips together. You can easily check to see if it's bent by removing one blade and turning the bolt with an allen wrench. If the opposite blade grip/blade moves at all the spindle is bent. It's very common to bend these with even a light boom strike.

here is the manual for your R30V2

http://www.acehobby.com/ace/PDF/HELI...V2manualV2.pdf
Old 06-11-2008, 01:18 PM
evilhorse

as long as there's no obvious damage to the blade fly em, if they start going out of track or something that might be a clue to a problem tho. RaptorTechnique.com is a good webpage for you to look around on, tons of beginner info, and assembly pages and manuals too.