PAINTING MY MAIN ROTOR BLADES - 550MM WOODIES

Notices

PAINTING MY MAIN ROTOR BLADES - 550MM WOODIES

Old 06-21-2008, 10:17 AM
rhampton
My Feedback: (66)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PAINTING MY MAIN ROTOR BLADES - 550MM WOODIES

I have like 3 sets of Wood blades and i am tires of the color..Same old boring white blades..My Canopy and everything else is nicely colored and Heli Flies Great..

I want to Spray Paint my "Main Rotor Blades" Like a 2 tone, yellow and bright Red,,top and bottom with some Spray paint i bought from Local Hobby Shop.....Just wanted to ask,,,,is there any Danger Spray painting the main Rotor blades? So far i see no issues. i dont care about the balancing,,,i will correct that before i Fly but if that's the only issue then i just want to hear your feedback on this....I sprayed painted my Tail Rotor blades and it still Flew Fine so just want some Feedback if anyone has every spray painted the Main Rotor blades just for looks or is there a better way to color it besides spray painting it...

Reggie
Old 06-21-2008, 10:10 PM
planepounder

Default RE: PAINTING MY MAIN ROTOR BLADES - 550MM WOODIES

Man, paintin woodies!! If they are TTs shrink the cover first, most of the TT woods I have gotten, the covering is loose, I hit em with the heat gun but very CAREFULLY! I guess be sure the paint will stick to the cover well. If it starts to come loose your balance is going all to hell. If you are really wanting to punish yourself I guess you could strip the stock blades and recover them with plank covering in your favorite colors. Paintin is scary!! GOOD LUCK!
Old 06-22-2008, 05:26 AM
Charlie

Take the plastic covering off and paint them, just make sure you spray a clear coat over the paint. I painted a set of woodies on a Ergo 46 with a TT50 in it and never had a problem, they flew great (just make sure you balance them when your done).

Old 06-22-2008, 05:46 AM
rhampton

thanks guys,,,,thanks helps a lot....Yeah it's just a light thin spray paint job,,,just 1 very thin layer...i would be surprised it would throw the balance off from 1 very thin 1 spray job like u all said, i have to make sure just to be safe....i went thru that crap of unbalanced blade before and hait to go thru it again....i do have a set of CF but dont want to mess with those....Hey i was also thinking of Blade decals from Amain Hobbies. They have tons of them,,,stumbled accross there web site yesterday...i wonder if those light decals will throw the balance off..since they are specifically made from blades..

Reggie
Old 06-22-2008, 09:35 AM
HeliTB

Decals willl also throw the balance. You should balance the blades after you've made all the changes, whether painting or placing decals.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:06 AM
wiz310

I paint my blades for my scale ships. both woodies and CF. As long as you balance afterwards, there are no real issues to worry about. I strip the covering off of the woodies, and gently buff the CF blades with 1200 wetndry paper before painting. I have found that using an airbrush is a far better way of doing it, as you can get coverage without getting to thick of a layer of paint. Matt paints work best.
Believe me when I tell you less paint is better. Most of the blades I paint are around the 800mm mark and you wouldn't believe how little it takes to get them unbalanced.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:24 AM
rhampton

i did try a thin layer,,,,so far so good,,,it was a really thin job,......Dried in seconds...Used a spray can...It was just a dry misty coat,,,,havent flown it yet but i'll give u feedback sometimes this week......i like it tho...i'm thinking of painting all the blades now...What a huge different in looks and colors...but i will balance them before i Fly...Need to get a balancer 1st...ha ha...
How do you balance blades without a balancer,,is there another method? that's the one thing i never purchased..

Reggie
Old 06-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Charlie

How do you balance blades without a balancer,,is there another method? that's the one thing i never purchased..

Old 06-25-2008, 03:33 PM
rhampton

I dont get it.the other side of the blades are just resting on the table...how does this balance them...
Old 06-25-2008, 04:10 PM
Charlie

No, they are balancing on the two glasses (you bolt the two blades together tight) Make sure they are strait then you balance them on the two glasses (the blades should teater on the two glasses), then make sure you have the same distance from the tip of the blade to the table on each blade.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:29 PM
rhampton

i still dont get it....if you have the blades together on one end which u have is fine against the glass,,,,Arent the other end of the blades resting against the table? if so how is it being balanced...Scusse me for being a MORON!!!!! but i need to figure this out...

Reggie
Old 06-25-2008, 06:09 PM
Charlie

Get a bolt that is long enough to go through both the blades and sticks out about an inch on each side of the blades, you might have to put a nut on the outside of each blade if your bolt won't hold the blades tight together (your blades have to be tight together so they won't flop). Make sure the blades are strait, then balance them on the two glasses, if the tip of one blade drops down and hits the table, that is your heavy side, put your tape on the other blade until the blades sit level.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Charlie

You can buy a cheap balancer that works the same way (balances on two glasses). That method does work, I did it that way for years until I bought a good balancer and I never had a problem.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89413.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	978489  
Old 06-25-2008, 06:49 PM
rhampton

I still dont get it.....................haaa,, just kiddn,,i gettit now...That is pretty interesting..Glad you went into more details...I do need to invest in a good balancer..When i Fly and i see there's a problem with the blades, i'll check the tracking first and if that's good i'll spool it up and lift it 5 feet and if i see double blades i'll put tape on one side, spool it up again and adjust,,and i'll keep doin that till i get it right...Boy what a waste of time,,,,,i really need to get a balancer to avoid all this......
Thanks tho for the info....

i do have 1 more question since were on a Rollll..

i have the Raptor E550 30sz Heli..i want to put a 50size boom and belt to make it look longer and bigger looking, but have no intentions of gettn a bigger motor or gearing or putting bigger blades...,...I just want the longer boom for making it look a little bigger....Still using 550mm blades.....have any of u ever done that? Everything else will remain the same,,,all i want to change is the boom and longer belt and of course the Tail Rod. What's your feedback on this..

Reggie