Reload this Page >

Question about Rap 30 and Cal 30

Notices

Question about Rap 30 and Cal 30

Old 05-13-2003, 11:24 AM
adam-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Rap 30 and Cal 30

I recent got the opportunity to pick from 1 of these birds as a gift for my birthday.. and im trying to get as much information as possible on both to decide on which one I'd rather get. Ive heard diffrent stories about diffrent heli's from a near by hobby shop but didint buy into alot of em. If anyone takes the time to read and/or post on my thread, I thank you for the help at advance.

What are the advantages of a Caliber over a raptor and vica versa?

I heard the Caliber is somewhat fragile and break easily? Can anyone else back this up?
Old 05-14-2003, 11:59 AM
Bluto

They are both good helicopters. I've been told that if you get the Caliber you should use the CCPM setup as the mechanical mix setup is very sloppy. The Caliber will dig a little deeper into the wallet when it comes time to repair crash damage. If you get a Caliber get a TT39 engine, its the biggest engine you can run in a Caliber, you can't upgrade it to a 50 like the Raptor 30 V2.
Old 05-22-2003, 04:00 PM
adam-RCU

Well in the end I got the V2, and put in an OS 32 SX-H. Got the remote today(futaba 6XH) and am looking into a good gyro.. this is my first heli, and I have no past knowledge on heli based items.. so I could use and advice on gyros or anything
Old 05-23-2003, 08:22 AM
Bluto

Sounds like you needed more advice on what radio to buy. Can you return that 6xh??? If yes do so, that is not a heli radio... I know it says it is but it isn't, It will work but is very limited and a complete waste of money. If you can afford a Futaba 9CHP get that or if price is a major concern take a look at the Airtronics RD6000 or Hitec Eclipse. For the gyro get a Futaba GY401 w/9253 servo, they can be bought as a combo for as little as $185 I've seen them sell as high as $300 so shop around.

Any particular reason for going with the OS32? The TT39 produces a lot more power and is just as smooth, reliable and easy to tune as the OS32. The power difference is definately worth it.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:24 PM
adam-RCU

money is a problem.. but then again its worth the wait to get the heli running properly. For all my engine needs, I go OS. Easy to get parts for, to maintence... and was taught OS=Best.. I didint go with the TT cause of a few people I know having problems with that engine with there raptor. The radio could be returned... but I wouldnt see what diffrences those 2 remotes have. Gyro wise, I was planning to get the 240 so I wouldnt have to get a digital gyro but that 180 deal for both sounds nice.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:11 PM
Bluto

Just wondered on the engine, I've used OS 32's and they run great just a little short on power. The Futaba 6XH doesn't have real throttle and pitch curves or idleup capabilities. You will be limited to hovering, forward flight, loops and stall turns with out the idle up function you won't be able to do more advanced areobatics. The RD 6000 and Eclipse both offer 5 point throttle and pitch curves, idle up and many more features for not to much more money, the Futaba 9CH is even better.
Old 05-24-2003, 06:15 AM
zaremba

Originally posted by Bluto
If yes do so, that is not a heli radio... I know it says it is but it isn't, It will work but is very limited and a complete waste of money..
I kind of take exception to this comment. If you're not interested in doing aerobatics, then this TX will be suitable. I'm more interested in mounting a camera and other telemetry to the thing and learning precision (upright) flight, so the radio works fine for me for the forseeable future.

However, I'm just checking now, and I realize that the RD6000 is comparable in price to the 6XHPS....OUCH....

If you want to do aerobatics, then Bluto's statement is completely correct.

-Paul
Old 05-24-2003, 09:18 AM
Bluto

I'm pretty sure that if you talked to the pro's they would tell you a good radio is a must have for doing areial photography. Being able to fine tune your throttle and pitch curves is very important when carrying a load, the different flight modes (idleups) can be setup for different need's as well. Believe me you are better off spending a little more for a good radio.

If you get the Airtronics RD6000 make sure you get the RD6000 Super not the RD6000 Sport. The Sport only has 3 point throttle and pitch curves, the Super has 5 point throttle curves and pitch curves as well as some other features the Sport doesn't have.
Old 05-31-2003, 04:40 PM
powerglide
My Feedback: (4)

well heres my 2cents worth>>>>>>>>>>>>>if your just starting out with helis you need to go with the model that parts are easy to find and inexpensive, this is very important!!!!!!!!!!!! the raptor seems to be in that league. I just got a v2 for that reason, owning an older concept has taught me this, I mean you can still find parts but your gonna pay!!!!sure tower etc claims to have parts but when you go to order them they always say"on back order., thats enough to hack any body off, especially when your in need, so raptors the way to go. arieal photog??? you gotta be kiddin!!!!! most have a hard time seeing the model 1oo ft away, Ive had cameras in airplanes but atleast you can see the model, goodluck on that one
Old 06-01-2003, 06:29 AM
extremeflying
My Feedback: (7)

just need a new radio and a 401/9253 combo
try RD8000 or the hitec eclipse 7
Old 07-10-2003, 04:24 PM
helidreamer-RCU

Adam? What part of NEW YOrk are you in, I'm in Queens. And can you please tell me any good flying fields or clubs.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:25 PM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

i have a freind who uses the JR 10X, nice radio, but he uses straight line "curves", so what is the point of spending huge $ for 5 or 10 point curves? Raptor technique has some example setups, been a while since i looked at them but if i remember corectly they are linear too.

I run the JR 378X it has 5 point curves, but i have nulled two of the points out so it is really just a linear 3 point and seems to work fine, admittedly i don't do aerobatics yet, but so far i really don't see the great benefits of multipoint curves, especially when so many folks use governors.