Raptor 30 pro-39 engine adjustments/ fine tuning

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 11:49 AM
AGBM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 30 pro-39 engine adjustments/ fine tuning

Hello Fellow Flyers
I need Help, my questions are I've ran 6 tanks of 20% cool power fuel through it for break in. It was rich during break in!!! Now I am ready to tune it to final stage/Fine tune/Perfect Point. With it being a TT pro-39 engine with an os8 glow pug and 20% cool power.

When you make the adjustment should the carb throttle body be fully open or fullly closed for the needle and mixture adjustments?

Starting with the Needle valve turned clockwise until it stops, how far should it be screwed out ?

Next with the mixture metering screw turned clockwise until it stops, how far should it be screwed out?

Also how do you check Temp. of the engine and what would be a good temp I should see.

Thanks for any assistance and happy flying!!!!!!!!
Old 01-20-2009, 03:54 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Raptor 30 pro-39 engine adjustments/ fine tuning

http://www.raptortechnique.com has two great engine tuning articles for beginner and advanced engine tuning.

As for the initial settings, go with whatever the manual for the engine says to start with.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:51 PM
krisma

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

......... and then when you're done tinkering with it get an OS engine

Sorry I hope you have better luck with the tt than I did.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:54 AM
bladeskiller

I agree, TT39 is tricky to tune. That' s why i changed it with an OS37. When i go to fly i want to fly not to tune all day. TT39 is not a bad engine, the problem is the carb. Mixture screw affects more than 70% of throttle opening so it is the dominant needle during hovering. Start with 3 turns both main needle and mixture screw having the throttle barrel completely closed. Then turn the main needle 2 clicks at a time to the right until you have good climb outs. Then for a good mixture during hovering you have to adjust the mixture screw (main needle has almost no effect at half throttle) to have correct half throttle mixture with as stable idling as possible. Here is the problem. If you adjust for a low and stable idle you will have a lean hovering mixture. If on the other hand you adjust for perfect hovering the idle will be very rich and the engine may stops. You have to make a compromise between idle and hovering.
One more thing. TT39 likes to run hot. About 200-205 F is normal especially during summer.
Good Luck. You will really need it.

Kostas from Athens.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:24 PM
JoDyO

krisma is so right. LOL
Old 02-22-2009, 01:17 AM
crambell

I have just bought my first nitro (Raptor30 with the 39 engine). I can hover it for a few minutes but then it just dies. The backplate is quite hot to touch. Would the motor be cutting out because it is too hot? If that is the case would I need to make the fuel mix richer? Do you use the screw (low) or the needle (high)? I have set the mixtures as per the instructional manual. Needle is 3 turns out and screw is 2 1/2 out. Any help would be appreciated. This nitro stuff is quite frustrating when you are new to it. I have been flying electric for about 8 months and thought it would be fun to try nitro. I am using 15% nitro.

Thanks
Chris
Old 02-22-2009, 08:53 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Richen the high end, its leaning out and over heating.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:26 PM
seadog1
My Feedback: (2)

I bought a raptor 30 with an enya 32 on it, needless to say it lasted about a week. I bought a thunder tiger 36, and would like to know where a good starting point would be for my fuel/air needle valve? AKA 3 turns out from closed etc.....
Old 04-05-2009, 09:32 AM
krisma

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know anything about them, but I thought enya's were to supposed to be better engines?[sm=confused.gif]
Old 04-05-2009, 10:26 AM
Murdoc

TT engines are not that bad.. They are O.S copys!
While the os 50 hyper runs good at 1-1,5 turn, the tt50 needs 4-4,5 turns! This is for break in, but if you follow the manual you wont have any problems.
I`ve helped many guys with their engines and the tt ones allways end up running good