Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Glassing a .40-sized F-18 hornet?

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Glassing a .40-sized F-18 hornet?

Old 08-06-2003, 10:46 PM
johntheroadie
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glassing a .40-sized F-18 hornet?

Guys, I'm working on a 40-sized pusher prop F-18 hornet from RCM plans and since there are a few locations that need to reinforced with fiberglass, I thought about simply glassing the entire airplane to finish it.

Does anyone have any advice or experience on glassing a .40-size airplanes (assuming that the fiberglass finish is decent and not too heavy)? Anyone recommend it or not? If I don't glass the airplane, I would probably finish it with monocote, however, before I make a decision, I would really like to hear your opinions and any advice you would like to share.

These forums have been really helpful and have taught me valuable information so I'd like to thank all the members and admin on RCU. Thanks!!.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	99742_18959.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	56787  
Old 08-06-2003, 10:57 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Glassing is alot of work. But the finish is great if you know what your doing. Personally I like to use 3/4oz glass and the west system resin.

Keep in mind, your going to have to sand alot, and spend alot more time that that monocote job will take! As for weight, I dont know if it will be noticable, but IMO glassing will add a little more than mono.

Ive glassed a couple jets, and painted a couple more
Old 08-07-2003, 12:02 AM
johntheroadie

Default thanks

John

Thank you for the advice and suggestions!

One of the reasons why I'm considering glassing is that I would like to draw permanent panel lines on it and finish it with a semi-scale paint scheme. (might draw attentions away from those boxy corners ) I think the results would be much more satisfying (but more work) if it was painted on. However, on the other hand, I would like to keep this bird simple and light (hence no retracts).

I still got a lot of work to do to it, so I guess I can take plenty of time to deliberate on how to finish ... Thanks!

john
Old 08-07-2003, 01:21 AM
Miloh

johntheroadie:

Hay dude I use to drive starcars myself, just wondered who you toat for??
About the glassing job.. what you thing about using the west epoxy resin without the cloth?? could it be brushed on then sanded smooth, seems like this might give a hard smooth surface without the weight.

Miloh.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:33 AM
Goggles
My Feedback: (4)

The weight comes from the resin, not the cloth. Pick up a couple yards of cloth, weighs almost nothing; pick up a pint of resin....?
I also would do as John suggested, 3/4 oz cloth. Personally I use Z-poxy finishing resin but west systems or many other resins would work also.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:37 PM
johntheroadie

Thanks a lot goggles and miloh. Do you think all finishing resins weigh and sand about the same? I have quite a bit of Z-poxy, so if I try it, it may be what I use. But then again, if west systems sand a little better, I might have to convert...

I also thought about finishing with with fabric and dope, but I don't have the slightest clue as to how to do that....
thanks again,

-john
Old 08-07-2003, 01:56 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I did one jet in Zpoxy, and the latest one in west systems. The west systems beats it by miles!! Sands like primer, when I used the west system I finally broke out my DA sander to cut it down. That was my experience. The Zpoxy is probably cheaper, but Ill never use it again.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:56 PM
johntheroadie

Thanks again John, I might give west systems a shot...