Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Cricket Cutter for Gasket Making

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Cricket Cutter for Gasket Making

Old 07-27-2011, 10:23 AM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cricket Cutter for Gasket Making

Is there a way to transform a Cricket Cutter to accept images, files, whatever...to cut your own engine gaskets instead of the old fashioned way?
Old 07-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Jezmo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cricket Cutter for Gasket Making

Take a look at this software. It's the only thing I've seen that fits the bill.

http://download.cnet.com/Sure-Cuts-A...-10803095.html
Old 07-27-2011, 03:44 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I use SCAL2 and Inkscape (free) with my Cricket Expressions cutter for cutting vinyl graphics for my planes. I think it has paid for itself just making graphics for one 50cc plane and a bunch of club stickers for windshields. Back to the question, it should be possible to cut gasket material too. You need to be able to convert your gasket shape into a svg file, or scalable vector graphics file. It may sound like I know what I am saying, but it has been 4 months or so since I finished the plane and graphics, so I am real dangerous, lol! Someone more knowledgeable has to step forward. Jon
Old 07-28-2011, 12:52 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I might try a craigslist or ebay then for a machine. The software link showed me what I was in for and it looks do-able so I'm going to keep playing around with it and see what happens.

I've been restoring a lot of motors and not much is around anymore for factory gaskets. I'm also wondering what quality I could expect working with small holes and radius such as the gaskets would have. No experence being around the machines at all. Would I be happy with what it could do cutting out a .10 size gasket or just heading for a disappointment?

Maybe trying to get my computer to print a scale outline and exacto plus hole punches might be the right choice but it sure would be nice to be as consistent but I'm sure I would end up using one for paint stencils and other projects.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:23 PM
Jezmo

Please be aware that Sure Cuts A Lot or SCAL must be version 2 in order to work with the Cricut machines. The company that makes the Cricut forced them to pull the support from the software for the Cricut brand of cutter. It works with other cutters though.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:50 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

One other warning I just thought of...the Cricket Expressions machine has a limitation on how fine the cuts can be when the object gets small. How to explain...the corners lose resolution on small graphics and letters on for example alphabets that are under 1/2" tall. In other words, a 90degree corner starts to get rounded. On a 1"tall letter, that roundness is not real noticeable, but on a 1/2" tall letter, it's more apparent. That's just my experience and opinion with it. Jon
Old 10-22-2022, 10:01 PM
mia45943

Hello Everyone: My wife has a Cricut machine. It's a automated cutting machine for doing crafts. It will also cut gasket material. If I need a gasket, I scan the old one and send her the .jpg image and she is able to program the machine to cut a gasket out of Felpro gasket material. In Canada it's getting harder and more expensive to source Lawn-Boy parts; many of the shops have closed so if you are stuck for a gasket maybe this could help with a gasket cutter kit. My wife can also do some decals on the Cricut. I have shown and example of the Lawn-Boy badge on the front of my 10325. It's not perfect, but better than nothing. Here are a couple of pics. Gasket on left is for a Duraforce caburetor, on right a Walboro carburetor. The replacements work satisfactorily.