Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Iron-on Film over epoxy

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Iron-on Film over epoxy

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 08:03 PM
tdrnmartin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iron-on Film over epoxy

Does anyone have a suggestion for covering the center section of wing with epoxy on fiberglass tape? I've heard that epoxy will pull the color off the film from the underside, if a hot iron is used to attached the film. Is there any way to prep the epoxy to except the film? Hobbico Balsa Lite doesn't seem to adhere to the epoxy.
Old 12-19-2002, 12:13 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On most epoxys, you need to sand it lightly and then wash off with acetone or thinner to remove the surface oils which occur on the epoxy as it cures. This is usually sufficient to let the covering adhere.
Old 12-22-2002, 02:50 PM
kdc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can cover the epoxy or polyester resin with strips of masking tape laid edge to edge and then film cover over the masking tape. Make sure you do not add too much weight though.